Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 548052 times)

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2010, 04:32:12 pm »

I uploaded the errorlogs to Sprend. PLEASE noone else download this as it is a one time download only.

http://sprend.se/download.jsp?FileId=8pdQYAEXRYTwSbHiyuGa

I'd suggest you use Pastebin, which is a tool designed expressly for this purpose.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2010, 12:59:28 am »

Hmm, not a bad idea. I'll get to it once I get off work...which is unfortunately another 9 hours >.<

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2010, 01:11:57 am »

Hmm, not a bad idea. I'll get to it once I get off work...which is unfortunately another 9 hours >.<

Well, I got it, so no worries :)

@Kuikka: Thanks, its all noted.

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2010, 02:32:04 am »

Could you guys please upload some saved games, hopefully during a goblin siege? OR rampant vomiting. Any save game showing some troublesome combination. Would be VERY useful for testing.

We could also use event logs of all kinds. If you could upload your event logs we would be in debt.

Edit:

Nevermind, found this:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/category.php?id=19

^_^
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:31:39 am by tyrspawn »
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2010, 04:49:15 am »

I'll see what I can about savegames. As far as I know I currently have no sieges, although one of my savegames have training spam and also an ambush walking around my perimeter, glaring at my gates. I could try uploading that when I get home. Should help!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2010, 06:21:54 am »

I have made this thread in suggestions: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64834.0

It is about few improvements that areboth  beneficial to DF as whole and which should yield improvements for SS too.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2010, 06:57:02 am »

It occurs to me that the sound-spam and subsequent crashing could be solved by having a certain number of combat events in a short period trigger a loop of some generic ambient 'battle' sound effect. Is that practical?

Oh, and is it feasible to have different sounds for different kinds of projectile for the likes of the Fallout mod?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2010, 07:05:37 am »

Running the soundSense.sh script from terminal gave me the following error, help would be appreciated as I'm not that knowledgeable about Java and the JRE:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

other perhaps (though probably not) relevant info:

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:05 am »

I was just about to say that it doesn't run on Linux, but then immediately realized that it's Java and thus runs on any platform. *fails*

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2010, 07:55:01 am »

I was just about to say that it doesn't run on Linux, but then immediately realized that it's Java and thus runs on any platform. *fails*

Easy mistake there, most DF utils don't run natively on Linux...

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2010, 09:07:26 am »

It occurs to me that the sound-spam and subsequent crashing could be solved by having a certain number of combat events in a short period trigger a loop of some generic ambient 'battle' sound effect. Is that practical?

Oh, and is it feasible to have different sounds for different kinds of projectile for the likes of the Fallout mod?

Detecting active combat is iffy - combat message rate could work, it could lead to trouble of people hearing fisrt few seconds of combat loop over and over as dwarves chase enemies.

Game logs what projective is used, so you can make different sounds for different projectiles if you want.

Running the soundSense.sh script from terminal gave me the following error, help would be appreciated as I'm not that knowledgeable about Java and the JRE:

Could you try execting lines from sh manually? This seems as if first line that defines claspath was ignored.

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »

Could you try execting lines from sh manually? This seems as if first line that defines claspath was ignored.

ok.
did the first line that sets CLASSPATH then $CLASSPATH (to confirm it wrote out)

Then ran the Java line

It seems to at least be doing something more than last time, but that doesn't include playing sound.

IAmThad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2010, 07:08:32 pm »

zwei, I made some modifications to soundSense.sh that make it work on OS X. Save it as soundSense.command so that Mac users can double-click on it to launch. It might also fix the problems that vlademir1 was having.

This version:
  • includes the proper interpreter directive to identify the file as a script (#!/bin/sh)
  • changes the working directory to the directory the script is in (allowing double-clicking on the file in OS X, and probably also running it from other directories from the shell)
  • and has soundSense.jar at the beginning of the classpath, rather than the end (this makes it work on my machine for some reason)

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2010, 10:58:59 pm »

zwei, I made some modifications to soundSense.sh that make it work on OS X. Save it as soundSense.command so that Mac users can double-click on it to launch. It might also fix the problems that vlademir1 was having.

This version:
  • includes the proper interpreter directive to identify the file as a script (#!/bin/sh)
  • changes the working directory to the directory the script is in (allowing double-clicking on the file in OS X, and probably also running it from other directories from the shell)
  • and has soundSense.jar at the beginning of the classpath, rather than the end (this makes it work on my machine for some reason)

I tried all this, no help.  At least it seems to help you on Mac, which I give big props for being BSD based despite my feelings on the companies business model and practices (which really have no place on these forums  :-X)

IAmThad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2010, 11:56:32 pm »

Did you get the same message as before? The one about com.sun.speech.freetts.VoiceManager? I never ran into that one. I was having trouble with the cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense not found error.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 104