Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 552514 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #975 on: February 19, 2013, 09:34:15 pm »

Capability to call external programs could easily be added - something additional like achievements tool.

I really hope so, as message-activated scripts have many, many possibilities.

I suppose. But I'd love to hear your suggestions on other potential uses! The only ones I've come up with so far are:

* Pausing and/or centering the screen for custom messages. (Limited usefulness as DF already allows this for announcements through announcements.txt in the init folder. It might be useful for certain other gamelog messages, though.)
* Calling heritage.lua on dwarf child birth announcements for the Dwarven Heritage Project
* Calling a partycancel.lua script to automatically cancel parties as soon as they are announced. (See this post for details.) The usefulness of this is questionable, though, as (apparently) it is easy to prevent parties:
...don't designate any meeting area on any object.  Use the zone menu and define an area, even just one tile, and they'll gather but never party.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:16 pm »

Change migrant's jobs the instant they arrive, automatically order defenses when sieges are announced, and cheaty / bizarre things
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 20, 2013, 06:56:22 pm »

Zwei, would it be feasible to code SoundSense such that it could access the "soundpack.zip" archive and treat it as if it was the "packs" folder? It would save a lot of disk space!

I know Windows Explorer is able to treat .zip files as if they were merely sub-directories. Even so, I guess you'd have to include LZH decompression/compression algothrithms or plugins to make that work? Also, it would probably conflict with the AutoUpdate feature, correct? Though, personally, I wouldn't mind disabling AutoUpdate if it meant being able to use a .zip for the packs directory.

HugoLuman, I've been informed that those Scary Demon Haunting Sound clips have finally been moderated. That is, the sounds to be used for opening HFS... if you're still interested.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:51 pm »

Those sounds are good, they remind me of the current bogeyman sound though.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #979 on: February 23, 2013, 07:10:45 am »

New release, r 39:

http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_38_174.zip
http://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/downloads/list

* Fixed small issues with dhhack script
 * Added ability to call external tools, see executors/executor.xml file in soundsense directory for details. So far, it just starts dfhack script when game is loaded.

Zwei, would it be feasible to code SoundSense such that it could access the "soundpack.zip" archive and treat it as if it was the "packs" folder? It would save a lot of disk space!

I know Windows Explorer is able to treat .zip files as if they were merely sub-directories. Even so, I guess you'd have to include LZH decompression/compression algothrithms or plugins to make that work? Also, it would probably conflict with the AutoUpdate feature, correct? Though, personally, I wouldn't mind disabling AutoUpdate if it meant being able to use a .zip for the packs directory.

Whoa, difference is nearly 50mb. I actually thought mp3s would compress really bad.

Reading zip file is problematic - it can be done, but utility/work ratio is bad, imho.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 23, 2013, 08:24:01 am »

Whoa, difference is nearly 50mb. I actually thought mp3s would compress really bad.

The actual MP3 data will do yes, typically a few % of savings, depending on the encoder used. But checking through some of the MP3s they have huge chunks of metadata in plain text which is pointless and where a lot of the size gains come from. Chase.mp3 is such an example, i was able to junk about 800k of crap from it to make it only 4.46MB. Double Drift too, junked about 1.2 Mb of crap.

I used http://omion.dyndns.org/mp3packer/mp3packer.html

But you can use this to easily batch process all the files, it uses the above tool. WARNING it will remove the originals and replace with the new one so run it on a copy of the directory. It may crap out when processing the .ogg files but just ignore that as it'll only replace the file with the new one if it's successful.
http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/static.php?page=FileOptimizer

I ran it on my packs directory(just the standard one off the website) and saved 23.6MB, it's very quick took about 30 seconds or so.

Zip is lz77 also, not lzh ;p
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:27:41 am by Intrinsic »
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Nokao

• Bay Watcher
  • [NEED ALCOHOL TO GET THROUGH THE WORKING DAY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 23, 2013, 04:53:12 pm »

Hi !

Sorry to bother, but is there a way to enjoy all the FX sounds and removing the music ?
Maybe it's possible to delete mp3 of all musics ?

Excuse me but I prefer my own music, and I still love your FX sounds and DF with FX.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #982 on: February 24, 2013, 03:58:44 pm »

Hi !

Sorry to bother, but is there a way to enjoy all the FX sounds and removing the music ?
Maybe it's possible to delete mp3 of all musics ?

Excuse me but I prefer my own music, and I still love your FX sounds and DF with FX.

You can also press mute button for music channel on main screen - it will stop any music being played, but keep sfx and enviromental sounds

The actual MP3 data will do yes, typically a few % of savings, depending on the encoder used. But checking through some of the MP3s they have huge chunks of metadata in plain text which is pointless and where a lot of the size gains come from. Chase.mp3 is such an example, i was able to junk about 800k of crap from it to make it only 4.46MB. Double Drift too, junked about 1.2 Mb of crap.

I used http://omion.dyndns.org/mp3packer/mp3packer.html

But you can use this to easily batch process all the files, it uses the above tool. WARNING it will remove the originals and replace with the new one so run it on a copy of the directory. It may crap out when processing the .ogg files but just ignore that as it'll only replace the file with the new one if it's successful.
http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/static.php?page=FileOptimizer

I ran it on my packs directory(just the standard one off the website) and saved 23.6MB, it's very quick took about 30 seconds or so.

Zip is lz77 also, not lzh ;p

Oh, thank you.

Ill try and see if i get good returns with optimizing my files

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #983 on: February 24, 2013, 05:02:51 pm »

New release, release 40:

http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_40_178.zip
https://code.google.com/p/df-soundsense/downloads/list

New thing is attribution recognition, see sample.xml for usage.

Plan now is:

* Fill in all attributions
 * Better death sounds
 * Fill in rest of animal sounds
 * Get more events for animals
 * Some more fitting music for ambushes and sieges.
 * Add new events to dfhack plugin:
  - crime being reported/jailing/pending beating
  - animals arriving to map.
  - critical hunger / thirst
 * Try and see if achievements can be made a thing.

Skin36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 26, 2013, 10:58:35 am »

Why use the achievements?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #985 on: February 26, 2013, 11:46:29 am »

* Added ability to call external tools, see executors/executor.xml file in soundsense directory for details. So far, it just starts dfhack script when game is loaded.

Does this mean I could for example run a reaction "alarm" that somehow shows up in the gamelog, play a siren.mp3 and run siren.dll (a dfhack plugin that wakes all dwarves and cancels all parties) automatically?

That would be very fancy indeed.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #986 on: February 27, 2013, 04:15:46 pm »

Does this mean I could for example run a reaction "alarm" that somehow shows up in the gamelog, play a siren.mp3 and run siren.dll (a dfhack plugin that wakes all dwarves and cancels all parties) automatically?

That would be very fancy indeed.

Yes, that is exactly what you can do :-)

Skin36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 01, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »

why need to Achievement ?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 01, 2013, 10:41:03 pm »

By "see if achievements can be made a thing", I believe Zwei is talking about finding a way to get SoundSense to recognize when a dwarf becomes legendary in a skill (say, stone-crafting).

Some players may want to hear a brief sound to let them know about it, as it is a cool thing.

Granted, other players might not want a sound for that. But the nice thing about SoundSense is that it's pretty easy to customize. And even if Zwei finds a way to do this, it doesn't necessarily mean a sound will be added for it right away.

Hmm... Is there an easy way to customize "defaults" without editing the .xml files in a text editor? Perhaps you could add a button so that, with a branch of sounds selected, it will toggle between "disable" and "enable", allowing users to customize sounds effortlessly? Just a thought. Something like that might end complaints about not liking certain sounds.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 02, 2013, 02:15:23 am »

why need to Achievement ?

Why not?
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 104