Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 548067 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1425 on: August 04, 2016, 01:50:54 am »

Yep, known misconfig on my end.  Fixed pack will be released after PyLNP updates in a week or so.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: August 04, 2016, 04:10:54 am »

I've got an issue where the season announcer is firing twice every season, so two phrases are being played on top of each other? Any ideas? Did a cursory search of the thread and only found a mention of this back in 2010. No other sounds seem to be firing twice other than those.

Installed SS from the PyLNP.
using a config.xml from the previous LNP worked for me.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

buncheesy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: August 08, 2016, 05:29:24 am »

Soundsense has topped working (in lazy newb pack).  ie wont even startup.  I think maybe its a java update issue?  now on Java 1.8.101 (should that be 64bit or not?).  If I start the soundsensecmd.exe file it will load the UI but no sound.  I tried the fix of editing the cmd file by adding the java file path but nothing.  Any ideas?

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: August 11, 2016, 08:24:32 pm »

Soundsense has topped working (in lazy newb pack).  ie wont even startup.  I think maybe its a java update issue?  now on Java 1.8.101 (should that be 64bit or not?).
I can't help with specifics (I'm not a programmer, coder or dev for any mods), but a few general ideas may help:
    Download the latest standalone Java local /remover/ tool. The Adobe (or whoever owns Java this week) one works fairly well but there are others; a quick Google should help

Download the full standalone Java runtime executable, then unplug your machine from its router (or otherwise disallow /any/ Net access.. turn wifi off, disable NICs from Device Manager etc). This will stop assorted autoupdate routines running while you're trying to do things locally

Run the Java removal tool. This /should/ remove any old versions of Java, & assorted associations along with them. Java has a chequered history of exploits, & a full clean should disable them, plus get rid of any contention between old versions' DLLs etc

Make sure your network connection /doesn't/ re-enable itself upon reboot! Then Reboot (nuke from orbit), just to be sure.

Once you're sure you're clean of old Java bits & associations, run the full standalone Java install executable. It'll complain it can't get Net access; ignore it until everything else is up & running

Now you can check DF + SS.. do things work? If not, then it's a local machine config issue; if it does, go ahead & connect back up to the Net :)

Prior to v7 (I think) Java had a nasty habit of leaving all its old files & associations around to be used by whatever came along. v7+ improved the cleanup process but didn't do a particularly good job, hence the necessity for a full removal tool
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:27:38 pm by Snafu »

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: August 15, 2016, 04:58:49 pm »

Soundsense has topped working (in lazy newb pack).  ie wont even startup.  I think maybe its a java update issue?  now on Java 1.8.101 (should that be 64bit or not?).  If I start the soundsensecmd.exe file it will load the UI but no sound.  I tried the fix of editing the cmd file by adding the java file path but nothing.  Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem.  Let me know if you find a solution.

Running soundsense.jar gives me "A Java Exception has occured"
Running Soundsenseexe tells me "Launch4j: The registry refers to a nonexistent Java Runtime Enviroonment installation or the runtime is corrupted.

The system cannot find the path specified."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:05:09 pm by Mathalor »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: August 15, 2016, 05:46:11 pm »

SoundSense works for me on both my machine running Java 1.60_15-b03-219 and my machine running Java 1.8.0_66-b18.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: August 15, 2016, 11:35:29 pm »

SoundSense works for me on both my machine running Java 1.60_15-b03-219 and my machine running Java 1.8.0_66-b18.

Maybe that's my problem, I'm running 1.8.0_101.

Is there a way to revert it back?

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: August 15, 2016, 11:41:23 pm »

Update: I used CCleaner to clean my registry.

soundsense application still fails, but soundSense (windows command script) works.  I started dwarf fortress from the starter pack, and manually ran soundSense.cmd (Running it from the starter pack I think just fires up the application, which fails).  I created a world, and soundsense started playing the music.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:44:20 pm by Mathalor »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: August 16, 2016, 12:03:48 am »

Update: I used CCleaner to clean my registry.

soundsense application still fails, but soundSense (windows command script) works.  I started dwarf fortress from the starter pack, and manually ran soundSense.cmd (Running it from the starter pack I think just fires up the application, which fails).  I created a world, and soundsense started playing the music.

Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it. I wonder if that "soundSense.cmd" would be the best launch script to have the Lazy Newb Packs try to run.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 16, 2016, 12:09:01 am »

The command script wasn't working until I ran ccleaner and allowed the recommended fixes in my registry.

At least, everything I tried before running ccleaner failed, and I think I ran the command file.

Hmmm.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 12:12:36 am by Mathalor »

TurielD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: August 19, 2016, 03:19:13 pm »

Hey there! First off, love this - just having the issue that sparring sounds were driving me crazy.

When I searched for a solution I didn't find much besides removing all battle music, but a reddit post revealed a solution: replace the standard battle sounds for the precise cases where a dwarf is fighting another dwarf with a blank sound reference. With a little alteration I managed to mute sparring, without affecting other battle sounds:

Add the following to Soundsense\packs\battle\battle.xml

Code: [Select]
<!--
    Sparring Sounds Begin
-->

<sound logPattern="The (speardwarf|Spearmaster|hammerdwarf|Hammer Lord|axedwarf|Axe Lord|wrestler|militia commander|militia captain|captain of the guard|macedwarf|Mace Lord|swordsdwarf|Swordmaster|marksdwarf) (attacks|bashes|hacks|stabs|strikes at|collides with|charges at|misses|attacks|kicks|bashes|slashes|looks surprised by the ferocity of|scratches|bites|punches|strikes|strikes at|slaps) (T|t)he (speardwarf|Spearmaster|hammerdwarf|Hammer Lord|axedwarf|Axe Lord|wrestler|militia commander|militia captain|captain of the guard|macedwarf|Mace Lord|swordsdwarf|Swordmaster|marksdwarf).+" concurency="0" timeout="500" playbackThreshhold="5" ansiFormat ="&#27;[35;1m">
        <soundFile fileName="" />
    </sound>
    <sound logPattern="The (speardwarf|Spearmaster|hammerdwarf|Hammer Lord|axedwarf|Axe Lord|wrestler|militia commander|militia captain|captain of the guard|macedwarf|Mace Lord|swordsdwarf|Swordmaster|marksdwarf) (is knocked over|stands up|is no longer stunned|jumps away|bounces backward).+" concurency="0" timeout="500" playbackThreshhold="5" ansiFormat ="&#27;[30m">
    </sound>
    <sound logPattern="They tangle together and (fall over|tumble forward).+" concurency="0" timeout="500" playbackThreshhold="5" ansiFormat ="&#27;[30m">
    </sound>

<!--
    Sparring Sounds End
-->

Put it directly below the line
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.1" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<sounds>

If you put it at the end, it won't catch all the sparring sounds (other sounds will trigger before the blank reference).

Credit to the redditor in question, /u/ianjosephfischer who posted the idea here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/4lobqh/soundsense_sparring_sounds_off/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:03:11 pm by TurielD »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 22, 2016, 08:41:27 pm »

Weird, SoundSense was working just fine last night with the LNP but today suddenly stopped firing. The only thing I've done today (that I know of) is update Waterfox 64.

Anyways, I ran SoundSenseExe.cmd to see the error message.

[Fatal Error]Premature End of File.

Somehow my installation got gakked up but I have no idea how.

edit

Reinstall fixed it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:47:23 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 30, 2016, 09:31:04 pm »

Is there still a need for event music?
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 01, 2016, 08:09:38 am »

Is there a way to hide soundsense while it is running ?

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 03, 2016, 08:27:10 am »

Is there a way to hide soundsense while it is running ?

Minimize the window?
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 104