Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 548059 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1485 on: June 11, 2018, 03:36:44 pm »

Hello, I'm having a problem with soundsense. When I try to run it, the command prompt appears for a split second then closes. I tried installing the newest version of java,but still nothing. please help.

AFAIK, there's your problem: You installed the latest version of Java. SoundSense hasn't been updated in a while and it requires an older version of Java.

You could try to uninstall your Java and install the older version it requires. Alternatively, you could try installing SoundCenSe, which is a C# port of SoundSense, which means that it does not require Java.

KoopaMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: June 11, 2018, 06:46:59 pm »

that's the problem, SoundCense doesn't work either. which version of java do I need to run soundsense? unless you know why SoundCense does nothing when I try to run it...

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: June 11, 2018, 11:55:24 pm »

that's the problem, SoundCense doesn't work either.

I can think of some reasons why it won't work for you. But, to avoid getting off topic and to possibly help others, I've posted my reply here in the SoundCenSe topic.

which version of java do I need to run soundsense? unless you know why SoundCense does nothing when I try to run it...

One or more of these posts may help:

Soundsense has topped working (in lazy newb pack).  ie wont even startup.  I think maybe its a java update issue?  now on Java 1.8.101 (should that be 64bit or not?).
I can't help with specifics (I'm not a programmer, coder or dev for any mods), but a few general ideas may help:
    Download the latest standalone Java local /remover/ tool. The Adobe (or whoever owns Java this week) one works fairly well but there are others; a quick Google should help

Download the full standalone Java runtime executable, then unplug your machine from its router (or otherwise disallow /any/ Net access.. turn wifi off, disable NICs from Device Manager etc). This will stop assorted autoupdate routines running while you're trying to do things locally

Run the Java removal tool. This /should/ remove any old versions of Java, & assorted associations along with them. Java has a chequered history of exploits, & a full clean should disable them, plus get rid of any contention between old versions' DLLs etc

Make sure your network connection /doesn't/ re-enable itself upon reboot! Then Reboot (nuke from orbit), just to be sure.

Once you're sure you're clean of old Java bits & associations, run the full standalone Java install executable. It'll complain it can't get Net access; ignore it until everything else is up & running

Now you can check DF + SS.. do things work? If not, then it's a local machine config issue; if it does, go ahead & connect back up to the Net :)

Prior to v7 (I think) Java had a nasty habit of leaving all its old files & associations around to be used by whatever came along. v7+ improved the cleanup process but didn't do a particularly good job, hence the necessity for a full removal tool

Running soundsense.jar gives me "A Java Exception has occured"
Running Soundsenseexe tells me "Launch4j: The registry refers to a nonexistent Java Runtime Enviroonment installation or the runtime is corrupted.

The system cannot find the path specified."

SoundSense works for me on both my machine running Java 1.60_15-b03-219 and my machine running Java 1.8.0_66-b18.

Update: I used CCleaner to clean my registry.

soundsense application still fails, but soundSense (windows command script) works.  I started dwarf fortress from the starter pack, and manually ran soundSense.cmd (Running it from the starter pack I think just fires up the application, which fails).  I created a world, and soundsense started playing the music.

The command script wasn't working until I ran ccleaner and allowed the recommended fixes in my registry.

At least, everything I tried before running ccleaner failed, and I think I ran the command file.

Weird, SoundSense was working just fine last night with the LNP but today suddenly stopped firing. The only thing I've done today (that I know of) is update Waterfox 64.

Anyways, I ran SoundSenseExe.cmd to see the error message.

[Fatal Error]Premature End of File.

Somehow my installation got gakked up but I have no idea how.

edit

Reinstall fixed it.

Whenever I try to start Soundsense, just a little black console pops up for a fracture of a second and then vanishes agein, apart from that nothing happens.
Windows_key+r
type "cmd", press enter
type "cd ", then drag and drop your soundsense folder onto the console window, press enter
type "soundSense.exe", press enter

Check what error messages show up.

thanks for the quick answer!

it says:
"Launch4J: The registry refers to a nonexistent java runtime environment installation or the runtime is corrupt.

The system cannot find the file specified"

Apparently my antivirus updated java runtime environment some days ago   ??? ::)

I have deinstalled all java updates, did a fresh download and everything works now

thank you for the console-magic!  :D

HydraliskMan!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 14, 2018, 01:02:55 pm »

So I posted a song I composed for my orchestra entitled 'The Dwarf Fortress Overture' on the reddit, and people suggested I send it to you guys to maybe use :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZr7k8gGL0s

Please have a look at it, even if you aren't a part of the SoundSense team!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:06:06 pm by HydraliskMan! »

The_Saladman

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here to eat plant piss beer and shit out seeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 08, 2018, 07:34:23 pm »

I'm on OS X and SoundSense won't launch. When I open the .jar file, an error messages comes up saying
Code: [Select]
The Java JAR file "soundSense.jar" could not be launched.
Check the Console for possible error messages

But no console comes up, could you help me on this?

jcd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 02, 2019, 04:02:09 pm »

For people having trouble with linux not launching soundsense, try this:
Edit the soundSense.sh file and change both following lines
aoss java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense
java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense

to this:
aoss java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense -jar soundSense.jar
java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense -jar soundSense.jar

I'm on Arch, using java 10 (jre10-openjdk).

I also had trouble with the .sh file not being read as valid .sh file (unexpected end of file error). This was circumvented by just keeping the following lines (your installation may require some changes here) and deleting the rest, then running the script from inside the SS folder:
CLASSPATH='soundSense.jar:lib/MP3SPI/mp3spi1.9.5.jar:lib/MP3SPI/jl1.0.1.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jogg-0.0.7.jar:lib/OGGSPI/jorbis-0.0.15.jar:lib/OGGSPI/vorbisspi1.0.3.jar:lib/tritonus_share.jar:lib/autoUpdater.jar:lib/jansi-1.8.jar:lib/commons-codec-1.4/commons-codec-1.4.jar'
java -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp $CLASSPATH cz.zweistein.df.soundsense.SoundSense -jar soundSense.jar
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:40:20 pm by jcd »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 03, 2019, 01:43:30 am »

strangely, i haven't had problems launching soundsense, but it crashes when there's announcement spam for longer than 5 seconds.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

alexchandel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 06, 2019, 05:49:06 am »

SoundSense should be rewritten in Python/Tkinter (like the PyLNP launcher is).

FYI macOS users, there's NO NEED to install Java if you have any apps that distribute Java, like Minecraft or Mathematica.  Just drop a symlink to that app's "java" executable in your "/usr/local/bin" folder using a command like:

ln -s /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/SystemFiles/Java/MacOSX-x86-64/bin/java /usr/local/bin
Then edit soundSense.sh and add one line, PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH", AFTER the first line, so the first three lines are as below, and SoundSense will magically work. No system Java necessary!

#!/bin/sh
PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
dir=${0%/*}

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 06, 2019, 10:12:23 am »

SoundSense should be rewritten in Python/Tkinter (like the PyLNP launcher is).
I'm sure you'll get right on that. :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 06, 2019, 09:13:43 pm »

I've tried to update xml files for 44.12 as part of a Mac OS pack

SoundSense
 - removed "default" folder, now combat sounds like it was supposed to sound instead of just annoying beeps
 - added "missingMessages.sh"
 - updated packs/emotion.xml for many new emotions in 44.12.
 - changed sounds for hunters who spent all ammunition ("I must withdraw!"), now they will sound angry/upset rather that scared.
 - updated packs/battle for new combat messages in 44.12
 - silenced sparring by extending on this https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/4lobqh/soundsense_sparring_sounds_off/ Ideally someone should make a new unobtrusive collection of sounds for sparring, so it could still be heard but would not be mistaken for combat.
emotion.xml
https://pastebin.com/j3sED2A0

battle.xml
https://pastebin.com/iTVgnggL

It's not perfect (missingmessages still shows tons of misses), but it's a start. Default xmls are a bit outdated.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 06, 2019, 11:12:35 pm »

Is there a way to have the music change depending on what civ you're playing?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 07, 2019, 09:38:23 am »

Is there a way to have the music change depending on what civ you're playing?
i'm intrigued by this one :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 28, 2019, 10:26:34 am »

hello!

Ive got an issue with soundsense. it dosnt seem to work at all. The app launches and everything, but its not in the volume mixer and only the original DF guitar music plays. If it can help, im using LNP.

Heres the errors i get in the soundsens cmd thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Anybody can help me? That might sound weird but soundsense is almost a must-have for me. It just makes the game so much better.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:30:19 pm by Jimmitheking »
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 29, 2019, 11:58:55 am »

2 days and no reply :(
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 104