Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 550802 times)

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #1500 on: January 29, 2019, 04:16:12 pm »

Yeah, the forums have been slowing down these past few years, and zwei's last post was in 2017 - don't expect activity to reach the effervescence of the early 2010's.

When you first started soundsense, were you prompted with the file picker (to look for gamelog.txt)?

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: January 29, 2019, 09:44:23 pm »

no, i dont think so.

I use LNP so, i figured it did it by itself

EDIT: as far as i know, Soundsense can read the gamelog just fine and the program itself is apparently running the sounds/music.
However i dont see soundsense in the volume mixer so i think my computer might just not detect it as a source of sound or something, i dunno.

EDIT2: fixed! It seems i had my DF folder named wrong...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 09:52:26 pm by Jimmitheking »
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 21, 2019, 06:28:05 am »

this one would also fit, but i doubt it's free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ1gnuuRdjM
if asked nicely, maybe Michael Hoenig allows the use for soundsense.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 03, 2019, 02:30:08 pm »

I use LNP and, just today, suddenly SoundSense is crashing while the command prompt window gives the error "Exception :java.util.InvalidPropertiesFormatException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file.: java.util.InvalidPropertiesFormatException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Premature end of file.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."
The bit about Microsoft is probably my command prompt, but... why is the very first character of the XML file, the one that opens the tag defining its version and encoding, being interpreted as an immediate ending of the file?
The same happens if I put achievements.xml somewhere not in the achievements folder - SoundSense crashes right after it tries to load achievements, whether achievements.xml is present or not.
EDIT:
So, turns out that wasn't an issue at all. The achievements progress XML file was completely empty and that's what caused my problem. Sorry for any inconveniences caused.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:29:19 am by IncompetentFortressMaker »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 04, 2019, 08:38:10 am »

the linuxLNP version of soundsense crashes on me when too many sounds are to be played simultaniously.
like when i put my dorfs in a burrow and the items of the dead outside are to be gathered and my dorfs all at once proclaim they canceled a job because the item is not accessible OR when the sounds of one or more fights are just too many at once.
restarting soundsense fixes the problem until the next huge wave of sounds to play.

can you make it so that it caps the maximum played sounds per category and the maximum sounds total to "the amount of audio channels -2" (so some channels stay clear for things like teamspeak etc?)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 31, 2019, 08:48:25 am »

i solved the crashes of soundsense by increasing the allocated cache of PulseAudio to 128MiB with the help of a friend.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: January 28, 2021, 07:01:51 pm »

Does anyone have a good set of filters, either for this or any of the clones (soundcense, soundsense rs) to filter out sparring?
I have gotten rid of just about every sound I can think of that I could and yet still the noise is constant. My soldiers are always sparring, which defeats the purpose of the sound engine like the boy who cried wolf. I've gone back to this version since the other ones fail to work more often than not (rs plays when it feels like it, c just doesn't want to load).

The problem seems to be NOT "(.+), lightly tapping the target!" needs to be appended to every hit entry if possible (which wouldn't be too bad) or every stinking hit entry needs to be created with every combination other than "(.+), lightly tapping the target!" which would suck in the extreme. I can't believe I am the only one who has slowly been driven insane by this over the years.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:03:54 pm by ldog »
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: January 29, 2021, 03:02:20 am »

Does anyone have a good set of filters, either for this or any of the clones (soundcense, soundsense rs) to filter out sparring?
I have gotten rid of just about every sound I can think of that I could and yet still the noise is constant. My soldiers are always sparring, which defeats the purpose of the sound engine like the boy who cried wolf. I've gone back to this version since the other ones fail to work more often than not (rs plays when it feels like it, c just doesn't want to load).

The problem seems to be NOT "(.+), lightly tapping the target!" needs to be appended to every hit entry if possible (which wouldn't be too bad) or every stinking hit entry needs to be created with every combination other than "(.+), lightly tapping the target!" which would suck in the extreme. I can't believe I am the only one who has slowly been driven insane by this over the years.

There isn't any way to differentiate between an attack that's attempted in combat versus sparring, since the "lightly tapping" message never occurs. That means you can't have any sound for misses or dodges, for starters. It should be possible to differentiate between some of the blows that land, however. I don't think wrestling joint locks occur in sparring, for example.

What I ended up doing is just commenting out most of everything in battle.xml, hitevents.xml, and strikes.xml that doesn't relate to taking damage. (I also disable the vomit sounds in status.xml.) It's unfortunate that you can't hear when creatures are merely trying to kill each other, but it's better than turning off combat sounds altogether.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:11:57 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: January 29, 2021, 04:27:51 pm »

There isn't any way to differentiate between an attack that's attempted in combat versus sparring, since the "lightly tapping" message never occurs. That means you can't have any sound for misses or dodges, for starters. It should be possible to differentiate between some of the blows that land, however. I don't think wrestling joint locks occur in sparring, for example.

What I ended up doing is just commenting out most of everything in battle.xml, hitevents.xml, and strikes.xml that doesn't relate to taking damage. (I also disable the vomit sounds in status.xml.) It's unfortunate that you can't hear when creatures are merely trying to kill each other, but it's better than turning off combat sounds altogether.

The problem with the lightly tapping is it is always tied to a regular strike. I did rip out all the miss/block/dodge.
Like you and DarkDyr suggested, filter down to the damage seems the only viable option.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 23, 2021, 10:11:32 am »

Can I just say, thank you, to the utility creator. This utility has only gotten better and better since I first saw it. Comming back to DF after a long absence, and grabbed the Lazy Newb Pack, and man am I glad this is included.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

HunterZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: January 15, 2022, 06:08:18 pm »

No,  It's the Greig track in the hall of the mountain king. I know the song is probably public domain but I'm not sure about this particular recording.

Yes, I checked ID3 Tags and its recording is not PD, even thou song is. Sorry about that.

I have deleted it from pack and it will be gone in next update, in meantime you should delete it from your pack and it will no longer spoil video music.

That should be the last of non-free music, but if you get any more matches, definitely tell us again.

Will do - thanks for checking the repository. I'd love to see a replacement of this with a new PD recording of the track, which I think is remarkably appropriate for DF in general. :)
I think I was the person who originally suggested this track as a thematic fit for DF, so it was a bummer when I noticed it went missing.

It's probably too late now, but the Wikipedia page for the song links to a PD recording by the Czech National Symphony Orchestra:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Hall_of_the_Mountain_King
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3AMusopen_-_In_the_Hall_Of_The_Mountain_King.ogg
https://musopen.org/music/777-peer-gynt-suite-no-1-op-46/#recordings

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: September 16, 2022, 12:27:44 pm »

Does this still get any updates?

One of my pet peeves for a long time has been constant sparring noises. However, there ought to be a simple fix:

While the C icon (top left) is not displayed in Dwarf Fortress, suppress all combat noises. This is only sparring. (As denoted by the S icon.)
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: September 16, 2022, 12:47:09 pm »

You can rename/delete the sound file that produces that effect to get it out of the way. I have done something similar for the job cancellation effect, which drove me up the wall.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 17, 2022, 03:22:01 pm »

Thanks for that tip - but I definitely want to hear the sounds of actual combat.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 18, 2022, 02:58:29 am »

Determining sparring vs combat would have to be done on the DFHack side. This would be an addition to modtools/extra-gamelog.lua.

You could suggest it here: https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/issues
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 03:11:14 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 104