Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Destroy stone option for miners  (Read 2514 times)

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Destroy stone option for miners
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:18:02 am »

I think it might be a good idea to create a (per-miner)option that would guarantee that the stone that this particular miner digs out would be destroyed on purpose (like non skilled miners do sometimes unintentionally) to prevent creation of millions of rocks around fortress and millions dwarf-hours spent on hauling jobs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:43:31 am by alpha »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Destroy stone option for miners
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:32:02 am »

Any idea?
The developer has more important things to work out than whether or not you have stone when mining?

You know, like getting the military working, the combat system sorted out, etc.

Things you need to play the game.

Yes, it would be nice. No, I don't think it's necessary.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:45:18 am »

Plus, unlike things like, say, "give us better hauling, such as using wheelbarrows", or "make combat not so broken and silly", there's actually people arguing this the other way:

Some people want mining to create more debris, so that it would no longer essentially amount to having dwarves annihilating the stone that they dig through, and involve miners to actually have to move the massive quantities of stone they excavate elsewhere.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 09:46:50 am »

Indeed, it is rather unrealistic that they whack a solid granite wall a few times with a pick and it all magically vanishes.

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:06 am »

Indeed, it is rather unrealistic that they whack a solid granite wall a few times with a pick and it all magically vanishes.

It is a game after all.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:57:58 am »

It is a game after all.
Yes, but it is a game based on the realistic challenges of creating a working fortress.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 10:17:20 am »

Yet none of these threads have a comment - a defenitive yes or no? from the Developer.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg853384#msg853384

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from:
I remember you commenting on a lot of [suggestions], but today you seem to have a less directly open and interactive policy. Have you simply run out of time to read them?

I haven't run out of time to read them, but I can't really jump into threads anymore.  It's hard to keep track of which ones I'm in using the forum software, since it's full of moderated threads, and I can't have too many discussions going because there isn't a lot of time to compose coherent replies.  I still read suggestions, though I've fallen behind the last few months.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 10:48:56 am »

DF is very easy to mod. You can simply rig in a custom workshop and custom reaction to destroy stone, or turn stone into useful things.

I use prospecting. I can shovel stone into a workshop, where my dwarves presumably crush piles of stone to extract minute amounts of useful metals or even gems from the stones. It takes many useless stones to produce even a single iron bar but if you have 20,000 stone laying around its a good way to eat up all of that loose stone while at the same time providing lots of raw materials for your blacksmiths to work with.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:38:46 pm »

Actually, I'd like it if the rubble from a "failed stone", instead of just dissapearing, was just a stack of not terribly useful crap that could be shoved around, and potentially clog up entire tiles (becoming an effective wall) if enough volume were put together.  That rubble would need piling up outside your fort, like a giant anthill, or being broken down to make cement or something, or else would require some method of "out of sight, out of mind" disposal, like dumping it into a volcano or "off-map".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 01:30:49 pm »

I'm a strong advocate of garbage chutes with atom smashers at the bottom of the chute. Place several of them around your fortress, link them all to a single lever or repeater, zone them all as garbage zones, and your dwarves will dump the garbage in the nearest chute. While you could use a repeater, I just assign a dwarf to do it. I remove all of his other skills except for healthcare, assign him the custom title "Atom Smasher" and make it so that only he can use the lever. His job, for the rest of eternity, is pulling that lever. Maybe sometimes also tending to a patient. But mostly pulling the lever.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 02:13:51 pm »

I'm a strong advocate of garbage chutes with atom smashers at the bottom of the chute. Place several of them around your fortress, link them all to a single lever or repeater, zone them all as garbage zones, and your dwarves will dump the garbage in the nearest chute. While you could use a repeater, I just assign a dwarf to do it. I remove all of his other skills except for healthcare, assign him the custom title "Atom Smasher" and make it so that only he can use the lever. His job, for the rest of eternity, is pulling that lever. Maybe sometimes also tending to a patient. But mostly pulling the lever.

Hmm... Interesting, and I might just use that as my permanent garbage disposal solution next game.  Personally, I'm afraid of accidentally having something tossed in the garbage I might one day want (typically, goblinite, although there's always more where that came from), so I don't set it to automatic, and instead have an airlock system to get to the switch so that no moron tries to dump garbage while the atom smasher is in operation.

A "chute" doesn't seem terribly appealing to me, as I tend to build vertically, anyway, and I save maybe 10 steps to the nearest dump.

I COULD, however, theoretically use a water flushing system to push items horizontally towards a main garbage chute... but unfortunately, many items (most notably stones) do not generally get pushed by water due to their mass and density, at least as far as 16d was concerned.

I also made my last atom smasher out of bismuth, just for that neat magenta color...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 02:43:27 pm »

The problem with a drawbridge is that it can fling items up. Which means the bridge can actually fling items away rather than smashing them. If the chute is 4 Z levels deep you can avoid this. The items will still fly up from the bridge, but not high enough to escape their doom. You can link multiple bridges to the same lever or repeater, and this means you can place multiple atom smashers around the fortress so there's always one nearby.

Drawback to this is that anything you order to be dumped will be both dumped and atom smashed, which means if you want to order something else quantum stockpiled you'll need to disable the garbage chutes for a while, but I just use stockpiles to store things, so dumping them is not needed. There's always an open stockpile to store stuff in.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »

Oh, I just only allow dumping when the bridge is in the "up" position.  It's not a problem when I manually order the occasional crushing after manually reviewing the garbage heap to ensure nothing useful is being thrown out.  Besides that, I just make the back of the drawbridge in a niche in the wall, with entry only possible from the side through airlock doors that get shut, so nothing could possibly fly out of the chamber in operation, anyway.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2