Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Succession Game: Aurora (V.5.14.0)  (Read 2049 times)

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Succession Game: Aurora (V.5.14.0)
« on: July 02, 2010, 06:11:51 pm »

Aurora: The Only Game With A Learning Curve Steeper Than Dwarf Fortress
Succession Game: The First Galactic Human Empire
Alternatively: "Shipmurdered", "Honey I Killed The Precursors", or "How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Wormholes"

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Story (click to show/hide)

Download and Installation Instructions (Any questions, PM me)

• Go here, follow the download instructions very carefully.
  • Now go here, again, the instructions are in the thread.
  • Then here, there's an important instruction in the post, make sure you read it.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:37:26 pm by Ringmaster »

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game: Aurora (V.5.14.0)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:31:09 pm »

Turn 1: 2025-2035

And so begins my stint as the Governor of Earth, I, Tom Houghton, am prepared to start our race off on a long journey across the stars.

But first, I need to decide what we need to research and build before we can get up there:

Our priorities are refining the way we can survey other planets. In the past, our probes could only take a few basic pictures of the surfaces of Mars and other planets or moons with near-safe atmospheres, with gravitational and geological survey sensors, we can find minerals on the surfaces of every single planet (Barring gas giants), moon, asteroid and comet in our solar system. Along with this, I've ordered a project started on a new way of propelling our ships through the cosmos, an ion engine should be very helpful in this regard. Finally, I've ordered a small group of scientists to begin working on expanding the civilian economy, the increase in wealth would be very helpful.

On top of these research projects, I've ordered that more factories be built and the total conversion of all manual work mines in to automated mines be started.

Schematics were completed for the new geological survey ship.

Code: [Select]
Tribal class Geological Survey Vessel    1350 tons     133 Crew     325.8 BP      TCS 27  TH 120  EM 0
4444 km/s     Armour 1-10     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/2     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 7%    IFR: 0.1%    Maint Capacity 302 MSP    Max Repair 100 MSP    Est Time: 8.6 Years

Ion Engine E8 (2)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 83.3 billion km   (217 days at full power)

Geological Survey Sensors (2)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Work is currently underway on the civilian variant of the Ion Engine E8.

Our existing Shipyard has been kitted out to begin construction on the first GEV Tribal class ship. Construction is estimated to be completed some time in June, 2026.

Schematics were also completed on three other classes of ship, the GSV Pack class Gravitational Survey Ship, the FT Agincourt class Freighter, and the SS Ark Royal class Luxury Liner.

Agincourt class Freighter    13350 tons     103 Crew     211.4 BP      TCS 267  TH 300  EM 0
1123 km/s     Armour 1-50     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 10 MSP    Max Repair 38 MSP
Cargo 10000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 10   

Ion Engine E0.8 (2)    Power 150    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 84.2 billion km   (868 days at full power)

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes
Ark Royal class Luxury Liner    13200 tons     428 Crew     561.8 BP      TCS 264  TH 600  EM 0
2272 km/s     Armour 1-49     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 27 MSP    Max Repair 38 MSP
Passengers 750   

Ion Engine E0.8 (4)    Power 150    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 85.2 billion km   (434 days at full power)

Tribal class Geological Survey Vessel    1350 tons     133 Crew     325.8 BP      TCS 27  TH 120  EM 0
4444 km/s     Armour 1-10     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/2     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 7%    IFR: 0.1%    Maint Capacity 302 MSP    Max Repair 100 MSP    Est Time: 8.6 Years

Ion Engine E8 (2)    Power 60    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 83.3 billion km   (217 days at full power)

Geological Survey Sensors (2)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

It is now 2026, and in the past year, using improved construction techniques, we have managed to build one more shipyard. This one has been tasked as a 'civilian' shipyard, and has begun to build the first Agincourt class freighter.

June 2026, the first GEV Tribal class ship was built, Commander Anthony Parkin was assigned as its captain. Training has begun with its crew, and at the end of the year it should be deployed to survey Mars. It's a small beginning, but before long we shall have every body in the system surveyed completely.

It's now been 24 months since I began my tenure as Governor of Earth, all military personnel's tours of duty have ended and new officers have been assigned. The Geosurvey Task Group has been taken off of training and has now been deployed. First order: Survey Mars for minerals.

Spoiler: Geosurvey Report: Mars (click to show/hide)

This turned out to be something of a bust. Out of Mars and its two moons, only Deimos had any resources worth surveying (And even then, there were only 2, Duranium and Mercassium). This has been chalked down to something lacking in the sensors we used. It has been decided that we will need a geological survey team to go down to Mars' surface and survey manually for minerals.

Commander Sean Wells has put together a team of four men skilled in geological survey. He is leading them, the Geosurvey Task Group has transported them to Mars and we are waiting for the first geological survey to begin.

While this survey is being carried out, we have finally found a body in the system with minerals worth surveying.

In light of this discovery, I have ordered construction to begin on a mass driver on earth. If we also build a freighter, we can send automated mines to asteroids that have minerals on them, these mines can then use mass drivers to propel the minerals to Earth, where we can make use of them.

I should also point out that minerals on asteroids have an accessibility rating of 1. Earth resources max out at 0.43 accessibility. This means that the minerals are on the surface of the asteroid, compared to deep in the crust and mantle of Earth. The asteroid's minerals are ready to be claimed almost instantly. With this in mind, I estimate that it won't take long for the asteroid to be mined hollow, but the quick boost in resources will be very helpful.

Unfortunately, a member of Sean Wells' team has fallen seriously ill, forcing his retirement. Their geological survey had yet to be complete, this makes me unsure of how well it will turn out once the report is complete.

On the 20th of October, the survey team completed the survey of Mars. They only found one mineral deposit, fortunately, it was huge. 100,000 tonnes of Boronide, ready to be mined, however it has an accessibility rating of 0.1. I have now ordered that they survey Asteroid #12 in the hope that they might find some new mineral deposits there.

(The two colonies are there because of my geosurvey team)

I've ordered mining modules to be researched, hopefully we can get a bit of those resources on Asteroid #12 before my term ends.

It's 2029 now, the tour of duty has finished once more and new officers are assigned. Not much planned for this year, most of the projects I have going are set to be completed some time in 2030. But hopefully the geological survey of Asteroid #12 will be finished this year.

Problem, Earth's stockpile of Corundium just hit rock bottom. Upon examining the mineral report, I also notice that we're set to run out of a few vital minerals in a couple of years. All of sudden, those mining modules became much more important to me.

I'm particularly worried about Corbomite. However, there isn't much I can do for our research project, since all of our labs are in use.

It's 2030 now, the time's gone by pretty quickly, I can barely believe it was five years ago that I became the Governor of Earth. Mining modules have been completed. Schematics for a ship that uses them have been complete and construction has commenced.

2031, construction has yet to finish on our first Illustrious class Miner ship. The only thing that worries me is that the mining module requires Corundium to be constructed. I've ordered the conversion of mines to be stopped so that we can build up our stockpiles again. Corbomite has run out on Earth. I'm getting rather worried right now.

2032, Gallicite has run out and still no mining ship. It's set to be constructed in November, then I can dispatch it quickly to the asteroid and get us some new resources.

2033, the first Illustrious Miner has been completed and is currently digging about on asteroid #12 for minerals. I've ordered our Agincourt freighter to ferry resources back to Earth once some have been found. I have attempted to place a mass driver on the Asteroid, but the plan failed when the mass driver sustained damage during drop-off. The officers have, once again, been reassigned after another tour of duty this year. I am reminded that there is only 1 year left before my term comes to an end.

As a final act, I've ordered that a Gravitational Survey Ship be constructed, it'll be finished around July in 2034, hopefully I can get it working on some of the survey locations in the solar system before my term finishes.

14th March, 2034. This is the Vice-Governor of Earth, Jacob 'Ringmaster' Gibson (Nickname courtesy of my healthy interest in Tolkien's literature). Max's latest entry spoke of his 'final act' as Governor of Earth, unfortunately, he doesn't know how right he was. Yesterday, he was killed in a car accident on his way to work. I've taken over in his stead and will be attending his funeral later this week.

The first Gravitational Survey Ship, christened 'Houghton' in remembrance of my predecessor, was completed today. She has been set on training until the crew can work as a good unit together. And hopefully can be deployed by my successor after I have left the office.

Ah, the 1st January, 2035. Time to end my term in office. For my successor, I'll leave a list of future goals they may or may not wish to invest in:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:25:26 pm by Ringmaster »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:34:50 pm »

Posting to watch. Hope this doesn't die off like the others.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:25:58 pm »

My turn is up. Need more (than one) player to continue, though.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:37:11 pm »

Sure, I'll play.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 02:44:23 am »

First entry: 1st January, 2035:

My first day in office. Certainly feels strange, being governor of Earth. Surreal-ish feeling. Pretty great. Relieved Governor Gibson this morning, and though he seemed a bit disappointed to be leaving his post, he also seemed to have felt a great weight taken from his shoulders. I wonder if I'll feel the same way in 2045.

Initial Statistics:

Human Population: 645.67 million (all on Earth)
    Infrastructure:
    3 Commercial shipyards:
    • W. Simons & Co.: 1 Slipway, 72000 ton capacity per slipway, tooled for Agincourt class Freighter.
    • Karstensens Shipyard Ltd.: 3 Slipways, 64000 ton capacity per slipway, tooled for Ark Royal class Luxury Liner.
    • Al Zora Dockyard: 2 Slipways, 48000 ton capacity per slipway, tooled for Illustrious class Miner.
    1 Military shipyard:
    • Govan Shipbuilding Co.: 2 Slipways, 6000 ton capacity per slipway, tooled for Pack class Gravitational Survey Vessel.

Level 1 Military Academy
    Level 4 Deep Space Tracking Station
    65 Maintenance Facilities (3.25 million employees; 13,000 ton ship capacity)
    1 Mass Driver (5,000 tn/yr capacity)
    733 Construction Factories (36.65 million employees; 8820 construction capacity)
    120 Ordnance Factories (6 million employees; 1440 ordnance construction capacity)
    60 Fighter Factories (3 million employees; 720 fighter construction capacity)
    200 Fuel Refineries (10 million employees; 4,800,000 liters of fuel produced annually)
    320 Mines (16 million employees)
    160 Automated Mines
    20 Research Labs (20m employees)
    4 Ground Force Training Facilities

Government-owned Ships:
    Commercial:
    Military:

First order of business was to go over the administrative staff, and look into any changes that could be made. Jennifer Johnston, a talented administrator, was assigned to the governorship of the Asteroid 12 mining colony by my predecessor. A worthy choice, however after poring through the files on the other administrators available, I made the decision to replace her with Louis Iqbal. Iqbal, though he lacks the administrative talent of Ms. Johnston, has far more experience and expertise regarding mining operations.

Upon review of the current ship designs, I found the Agincourt class freighter to be woefully inadequate in the long term. With a mere 10,000 cubic meter carrying capacity, it would not even be able to carry a single automated mine to a colony. As such, I ordered the design of a new class, christened the Atlas:

Code: (Atlas) [Select]
    Atlas class Freighter    30000 tons     149 Crew     334.8 BP      TCS 600  TH 450  EM 0
    750 km/s     Armour 1-86     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
    Maint Capacity 7 MSP    Max Repair 38 MSP
    Cargo 25000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 10   

Ion Engine E0.8 (3)    Power 150    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
    Fuel Capacity 150,000 Litres    Range 112.5 billion km   (1736 days at full power)

With two and a half times the cargo space as the Agincourt, the Atlas could carry one of almost any facility currently in use. The increased size came at the expense of speed, but the increased carrying capacity and greater range make it worth it.

Next, in anticipation of future Martian colonization efforts, I commissioned the design of a new colony ship. The new design, christened the Mayflower, was produced within weeks.

Code: (Mayflower) [Select]
    Mayflower class Colony Ship    20000 tons     236 Crew     880.4 BP      TCS 400  TH 750  EM 0
    1875 km/s     Armour 1-65     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
    Maint Capacity 28 MSP    Max Repair 38 MSP
    Colonists 50000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 10   

Ion Engine E0.8 (5)    Power 150    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
    Fuel Capacity 350,000 Litres    Range 393.8 billion km   (2430 days at full power)

The design of the Mayflower was based upon that of the Atlas. The five cargo holds aboard the Atlas were replaced by five cryogenic transport modules, each capable of transporting 10,000 hibernating colonists, for a total capacity of 50,000. Additionally, two more engines were added, along with capacity for an extra 200,000 liters of fuel. Its high speed would make it ideal for transport between Earth and any future colonies.

As a last modification to our ship line-up, I ordered a modification to the Illustrious class miner. By adding a pair of additional engines, plus 200,000 more litres of fuel, it was possible to nearly triple the speed, as well as increasing the range by more than 4 times. The new ship was named the Amber.

Code: (Amber) [Select]
    Amber class Miner    30000 tons     620 Crew     914.8 BP      TCS 600  TH 450  EM 0
    750 km/s     Armour 1-86     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
    Maint Capacity 19 MSP    Max Repair 120 MSP
    Asteroid Miner: 5 module(s) producing 50 tons per mineral per annum

Ion Engine E0.8 (3)    Power 150    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 150    Armour 0    Exp 1%
    Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 187.5 billion km   (2893 days at full power)

I ordered the W. Simons & Co. shipyard facility to retool for the construction of Mayflower class vessels, while the Karstensens Shipyard retooled for the Atlas, and the Al Zora Dockyard began switching production to the upgraded mining ship. Retooling for the construction of the Atlas would take just over 4 months, while retooling for the Mayflower would take more than a year. Retooling for the Amber would complete between the former two.

Finally, I looked over a proposal from the Chiefs of Staff of the Terran Federation Armed Forces to create a unified designation system for missile ordnance and electronic systems, to simplify and unify identification of these systems.

Spoiler: Designation System (click to show/hide)

Impressed, I approved of the system immediately. It was put to immediate use as I put in a request for a new active sensor system, meant to become integral to future survey vessels, along with a line of passive thermal and electromagnetic emission detectors.

21st February 2035

The previous military tour period has come to an end, and the officers were shifted around. Three were deemed surplus and retired, hopefully opening up their positions for new talent.

In other news, the geological survey of the asteroid belt is proceeding swimmingly. One asteroid in particular, number 135, has proven to have an abundance of several resources.

The presence of so many high value resources came as a blessing to our resource-strapped economy. Plans are being drawn up to transport some automated mines there, once the new Atlas class freighters are constructed. The Duranium in particular is of interest, considering the enormous quantity and high accessibility of it, and its ubiquity in ship construction. This asteroid could fuel ship construction for years to come.

Also, the Federation's income fell into the negatives over the past month. The culprit was the retooling of the shipyards begun in January. It's only a loss of two credits every five days, but it warrants attention.

1st March 2035

Colonel George Griffin, commander of the 1st Heavy Assault Battlion, was killed in a training accident today. He was a skillful commander and will be sorely missed. His replacement, Colonel Eleanor Young, is nowhere near as skilled as he is. But any commander is better than none at all, I suppose.

6th April 2035

Karstensens Shipyard Ltd. sent word today that they've successfully retooled for construction of Atlas class freighters. I immediately authorize production of three new ships, filling all their slipways. They are scheduled for delivery in early November. Included in Karstensens' message was an announcement that they had begun construction on a fourth slipway, due to be finished in roughly three years.

In anticipation of the freighters' addition to the fleet, I order the production of construction factories to cease, and order a new mass driver and 40 new automated mines.

16 June 2035

Ashley Ferguson's research team announced the development of a next-generation propulsion system. Called the magneto-plasma drive, it is essentially an amped-up ion drive. More powerful control computers and electromagnets allow large amounts of more massive ionized plasma particles to be shunted backwards, generating greater amounts of thrust than the present-generation ion engines can boast. New designs for military and commercial vessels are immediately ordered. They'll be incorporated into new and updated designs at the first opportunity.

11 December 2035

With the finalization of the new long-range active sensor system and magneto-plasma drives, the final touches are put on a new survey vessel long in development. Designated the Leif Ericson class Science Vessel, it is more than twice the size of previous survey vessels, and boasts a suite of geological, gravitational, and active sensors superior to any ship in the fleet.

Code: (Leif Ericson) [Select]
    Leif Ericson class Science Vessel    3000 tons     278 Crew     978.6 BP      TCS 60  TH 320  EM 0
    5333 km/s     Armour 1-18     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/4/4     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
    Annual Failure Rate: 36%    IFR: 0.5%    Maint Capacity 408 MSP    Max Repair 150 MSP    Est Time: 3.39 Years

Rolls Royce Magneto-plasma Drive E8 (4)    Power 80    Fuel Use 80%    Signature 80    Armour 0    Exp 5%
    Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres    Range 225.0 billion km   (488 days at full power)

TF/SPY-1 Surveillance Sensor (1)     GPS 8000     Range 48.0m km    Resolution 100
    Improved Gravitational Sensors (2)   4 Survey Points Per Hour
    Improved Geological Sensors (2)   4 Survey Points Per Hour

Govan Shipbuilding Co. is immediately commissioned to retool for production of the new ship. They give a time frame of roughly a year for the retooling process. When completed, two ships will be built, with a further two possible as circumstances dictate.
    « Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:31:38 am by Pwnzerfaust »
    Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.