Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: AI War - Fleet Command Play Along  (Read 4527 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: AI War - Fleet Command Play Along
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 02:27:44 pm »

What's the range on the metal/crystal ratings?  I assume 1 is pretty bad, but how good is 4?
It is in fact the number of resource points at the planet, not a rating.

Also, Good news everyone! Our first starship has rolled off the line.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is leading our fleet of 547 ships into Linvo as we speak.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 02:34:28 pm »

Oh, ok.  What's the max?  How good is 4?

Looks like a beetle.  Are all the other ships of ours Mk1, or have we got some MkII yet?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »

Name our starship the S.S. Whale.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 02:37:32 pm »

Okay, I have fortified the warp points from Bamaskil leading to the two level 4 worlds as well, in case something nasty comes out. I have moved our science ships to Bamaskil to start raking in the knowledge points so we can unlock some sweet tech when we get the chance.

I also built a level 3 energy generator at our homeworld, so we could support a larger fleet in future. It is not as efficient as the level 2, using more resources per energy produced, but we need it for now. I can always decomission it later.

Fought off a minor attack on our homeworld by the AI. It's starting to notice us.

The attack commences!

Oh, ok.  What's the max?  How good is 4?

Looks like a beetle.  Are all the other ships of ours Mk1, or have we got some MkII yet?

Well as a reference, our homeworld has 7 metal and 5 crystal, but all homeworlds have more than the average so you can get off the ground and build up a fleet.

Edit: Yes we're all mark 1 right now. We would have to use some knowledge to unlock mark 2 ships.

Name our starship the S.S. Whale.
I really do wish you could name ships!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »

Our mighty fleet pounds on the enemy shield while engaging some smaller targets.

And seen here, the remnants of the AI fleet attempt to flee to Sochrtic. Fortunately I have fortified that point and they are stuck between our guns and our fleet.

As soon as I finish clearing out Linvo I shall move in and build up infrastructure, then post an update with new intel.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:52:42 pm by forsaken1111 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 03:50:33 pm »

Our new galaxy overview. As you can see, I have done some deeper scouting now that we have a foothold.

Now there is good news and there is bad news.

The good news: We now have 792 ships and 5 starships. Our fleet is maxxed out at the moment, and the only way to build more is to unlock new designs. We could unlock a mark 2 version of any of the ships we currently have (Fighter, Bomber, Missile Frigate or Raptor) using our accumulated science knowledge and this would allow us to build that design up to the unit limit.

The bad news: As you may have noticed from the map, the galactic situation is not pretty. Three level 4 worlds cut us off from most of the galaxy. There is a level 3 world down south that I was able to get around with a few scouts and get a bit further in before they were detected and destroyed.

New Intel (LOTS of pictures. Easiest way to get the info, sorry.)

Level 4 Planets
Spoiler: Sochrtic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Masav (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Michor (click to show/hide)

Level 3 Planets
Spoiler: Masbi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cubulnei (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Chrachzar (click to show/hide)

Level 2 Planets
None

Level 1 Planets
Spoiler: Locpuvar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Qaxu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Haslikdu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Umkuha (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bulchar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gioxusav (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Unmichqu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Melji (click to show/hide)

If you need more info on anything, just ask.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »

How many of those planets were named by mashing the keyboard with your face? :)

Chrachzar is interesting.  It's the best of the upper level worlds, but not yet.

I say Gioxusav, Melij, and Qaxu are our best next bets, if you don't mind spreading out a bit.  Can you scout out the long path from Haslikdu?

Also, some of these crappy L1 planets- can you smash everything but the command posts (so as to not piss off the AI) then send in science labs to get some easy knowledge, or is that a later game trick?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 04:11:33 pm »

How many of those planets were named by mashing the keyboard with your face? :)

Chrachzar is interesting.  It's the best of the upper level worlds, but not yet.

I say Gioxusav, Melij, and Qaxu are our best next bets, if you don't mind spreading out a bit.  Can you scout out the long path from Haslikdu?

Also, some of these crappy L1 planets- can you smash everything but the command posts (so as to not piss off the AI) then send in science labs to get some easy knowledge, or is that a later game trick?
The planets are named automatically, but yeah I agree the names are pretty much random.

I could run in and smash everything but the command posts in the level 1 planets. The ones with spec posts (Bulchar for example) would give the AI a little progress, and all of them would add 5 to the AI progress meter when I destroyed the warp gates.

If I don't destroy the gates, they will just warp in replacements whatever I smashed and if I leave the command posts they will rebuild the turrets.

I'll try and scout the long path, I missed that one.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 04:25:30 pm »

Jackpot!

Spoiler: Loki (click to show/hide)

This one has an Adv Research ship which, if we capture it, will give us another ship type for free. The ion cannon is also nice, if we can capture it. It auto-kills smaller ships when hitting them.

Problem: 103 Mark 3 ships, and a level 1 fort.

What do you think?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 10:13:27 pm »

Definitely the first MkIII planet to hit.  We might want to grab one or two of those MkI planets to make sure we have a strong enough force first (AKA tech at least a couple of our unit types to II) and aren't too threatened elsewhere.  It might take a couple swipes at it, but it should be doable.

Where is it in the galaxy?  Anything else juicy down that path?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 03:22:11 am »

Definitely the first MkIII planet to hit.  We might want to grab one or two of those MkI planets to make sure we have a strong enough force first (AKA tech at least a couple of our unit types to II) and aren't too threatened elsewhere.  It might take a couple swipes at it, but it should be doable.

Where is it in the galaxy?  Anything else juicy down that path?
It is at the end of the long line from Haslikdu. I couldn't scout past it, they kept blowing up the scouts, even in groups.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 08:24:41 am »

I say grab Gioxusav, get at least two ship types up to MkII, then take a crack at Loki.  Clean or capture Haslikdu along the way, so you're not getting tripped up.  (It's a wimpy planet, so it shouldn't be trouble.)

As for which to upgrade, I'd prioritize in this order: Raptor, Frigate, Cruiser, Bomber, Fighter, unless that's stupid and you know better.

(Anyone else want to contribute?  Don't just let me drive d= )

EDIT:  Did you notice Cubulnei has a research station too?  It's about the same level defended as Loki, and off Haslikdu too.  Also, there's a broken golem on Melij.  Way too early to do anything with it, but noteworthy.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:45:11 am by Toaster »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 02:21:15 pm »

Well for now I just grabbed mark 2 bombers, and will grab raiders soon. I did this because I think they will help with the forts and forcefields we have found nearby.

And yes I saw the adv research at cubulnei. It also has a level 3 forcefield. That would be rough at this stage.

Gonna blow through Haslikdu and take Gioxusav. I will probably take out the warp gate along the way to stop them reinforcing or sending waves out from there.

Edit: Nevermind, it is behind a forcefield and would take too long. I'll wipe out their ships for now and move on.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 02:40:43 pm »

Gioxusav is ours! Now that we have enough planets I have streamlined our power production, so we aren't wasting resources.

New galaxy map...

No new intel, I am working on getting a few scouts further in but so far its been impenetrable. We could invest in Mk2 scouts later. For now I am grabbing Mk2 raptors then taking a crack at Loki.

Looking at their stats, Raptors are better for quick raids than sustained attacks. Even at Mk3 they have less health than a missile frigate.. so gonna upgrade the frigates.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 02:48:14 pm »

MkII scouts sound good after Loki.  That'll let us finish up scouting this sector.  Sekvaou in particular interests me, as it's a very strong chokepoint.  If we could crush every warp gate behind it, we would have a wide open field to play in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3