Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Out of curiosity...  (Read 631 times)

Tynan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Out of curiosity...
« on: December 15, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

At what point in the development of a game is it considered Beta? This game is in the Alpha stage, which is before Beta I take it? Then after Beta the game has reached version 1.0? It's just something I've wondered about after playing these types of "unfinished" games. Could someone explain the process?

Thanks

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Out of curiosity...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tynan:
<STRONG>At what point in the development of a game is it considered Beta?</STRONG>

Generally a game's version would start with '0' if it were in beta, or it would be explicitly stated by the games maker that the game is in beta somewhere, which it is.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: Out of curiosity...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

Alpha version means that game is still being developed- not all designed functions are implemented (as with DF).
Beta means that the design has been fulfilled and now the game is being tested for bugs only (which doesn't mean that new features won't be added).
"Gold" means the beta-testing is finished and the game is being manufactured.
<3