Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 212491 times)

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)
« Reply #1095 on: February 13, 2012, 01:00:12 pm »

I see the first post hasn't been updated, so I have no idea when my turn is.
This is awesome! Just to test, I downloaded one of the latest saves, and I get what might be a playable FPS, so I think I'll try a turn on this. I tried Deathgate, but clowns are frigging hardcore.

Am I up, or are there others to go first?

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 13, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »

Urist McDuck, the mass-murdering enemy of the state, has beaten me in an election.  I must have been a terrible mayor.

Eldes, it's almost certainly your turn.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 14, 2012, 12:55:47 am »

OK then, I'll grab the save and take a look. Expect an update sometime tomorrow.

EDIT: First impressions. Whoever decided to flood the caverns with magma should be shot. It is FPS hell.

-Also, every coffin I could find was filled with bodies. This both amuses and worries me - the former in that we have that many dead, and the latter in that we have nowhere to put more dead.
-There truly is a LOT of magma here - I've explored the upper levels, and WOW that is a lot of magma.
-We have vast storerooms for refuse which lie empty - this shall be rectified.
-I've found a training room for one squad, and a potential room for another, but where are the other 30 soldiers supposed to train?
-Found our Adamantine stockpile - I'll get to work turning that into nice things.
-Found McDuck's chambers, just for future reference.
-Think I'll kill "She-Who-Loses-Pets" to stop the idiocy from being transmitted genetically.
-For the rest of my work, I think I'll focus on improving FPS - killing the prisoners (and maybe a few dwarves), dumping/destroying items, trading away valuable junk at huge losses, etc.
-Also, booze. Lots of booze.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:54:04 am by Eldes »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:55 am »

-I've found a training room for one squad, and a potential room for another, but where are the other 30 soldiers supposed to train?

The artifact armor stand in the center of the courtyard. The one in the temple is for the newbie lashers in the Sacrificial Stockades.

Be warned: When you give attack orders, Urist Tomesglad will reach the enemy a lot faster than anyone else. She's alone in the Chains of Chasing, so you can give the others a head start.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36:09 am »

-Think I'll kill "She-Who-Loses-Pets" to stop the idiocy from being transmitted genetically.

Ah, 'Stupid Idiot' Imushdok.  Yes, she really needs to 'visit the mayor'.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 14, 2012, 04:27:15 pm »

This place is crazy. I put Stupid Idiot into a one-woman squad so I could get rid of her (I'm just gonna lock her up until she dies), and she takes a few steps before trying to recover her damn pet again.
We have stray animals starving to death in our tombs, most of those tombs also contain animals, BTW.
I'm getting a mostly-consistent 19-20 FPS, with periodic jumps when the screen doesn't have to render much.
90% or more of the cancellation jobs I'm getting are coming from the arena, where someone thought it would be smart to HIDE all the stone leftover from the digging.
I'm going to have to jujst let it run for a few hours and hope my comp doesn't overheat in the meantime, just to make it to spring.

In other words, FUN!

Oh, also, we just got a fey Bowyer who wants yarn. I've locked him in the workshop, unless we have a way to obtain yarn cloth...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:29:12 pm by Eldes »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 14, 2012, 04:32:19 pm »

We have stray animals starving to death in our tombs
Oh, also, we just got a fey Bowyer who wants yarn. I've locked him in the workshop, unless we have a way to obtain yarn cloth...
The solution seems evident.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Eldes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 16, 2012, 10:05:54 pm »

OK, now that I'm done geeking out over the new version, I've made it to early winter.

-I killed She-Who-Loses-Pets with a drawbridge.
-I fought off an ambush in which only a nameless butcher died.
-I made well over 100 changes in jobs, reorganized so that people do what they're good at, etc.
-I've started deactivating every garbage zone I can find, except the one over the magma dike.
-I've also started preparing to start dumping and incinerating all the perishable, low-value crap in the fort - clothes, and the like. Unless we have an atom smasher somewhere in the fort?

Other than that, nothing important really happened. Oh, I also traded with the Dwarven caravan, at about a 16k loss. I figure I'll just complete the one more season and pass it on.

EDIT: Finished off winter.
Nothing truly important happened for these two seasons. The crusher stopped working in the winter, when some part I couldn't identify froze up. Couple that with an inability to find the lever to lock the fort, and you get 8 dead dwarves in a siege. One squad of bowgobs and a swordmaster came in the front, through the inoperative crusher, killing mostly unnamed dwarves, though I think one or two named ones bit it (sorry I couldn't get their names - I wanted to wait until after the battle and grab all the names at once, then all the announcements disappeared). Another squad came around the cage traps to the north, and an idiotic squadmember decided to try to take them on before they could be caught. Candy-something. Sorry. our resident axelord arrived to late to save him.

Other than that, I reorganized the garbage dumps, making just one dump spot, here:

Also, I smashed almost 1000 objects, barely made a dent in the FPS. For any future overlords, just keep designating trash cloth, crap armor, and unusable bodies.

I increased our booze stocks from around 250 to almost 500, but we should still double that number. 10 times the number of dwarves in the fortress is the rule of thumb I learned, and we have over 100 dwarves.

Also, did you realize we were one troll or tantruming dwarf from filling at least the main corridors with magma? Behind the catapult.

I built a wall there, to prevent any unnecessary stupidity.

Not really much else of note. I finished the Arena, but that was mostly just making sure the suspended jobs got renewed once I unhid the several fucktons of stone and dumped it all. We had a mood that gave us a ring and a stonecrafter (woohoo...) and another that gave us a berzerk dwarf who starved to death in his workshop. I managed to increase FPS from 18/19 to around 21. Maybe.

I would keep going, but I don't like playing at uberlow FPS for long. Besides, new Dwarf Fortress version!

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5562
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:30:06 am by Eldes »

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 23, 2012, 12:12:43 am »

The Crusher was automated with a nifty fluid repeater, but in winter the water source freezes.  I totally never saw that door in the courtyard, yeep.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 05, 2012, 04:33:51 pm »

Bump. What should we do now, given that 34 isn't save compatible?

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 06, 2013, 05:40:45 am »

Bump because someone should start Ardentdikes II as soon as the next DF version is released.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 06, 2013, 03:10:53 pm »

as soon as the next DF version is released.
I guess you did that too soon.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:32 pm »

Ah, starting a new fort on 34 would be too boring, I'm going to play Ardentdikes instead. I'll make briefer reports, tho, and try to advance a bit faster to see if the fort approaches a conclusion. Also will host any images where they don't expire. :'(

Post dorfing requests, while I distribute new orders and tasks before starting the turn. 8)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 08, 2013, 06:50:57 pm »

I don't remember everything, but a quick reference of where the fort is:

101 dwarves.
43 soldiers.
18 million dwarfbucks.
53k in food stores.
14k stones.
+5k bolts.
+9k coins ::)
~100 caged prisoners.
~400 dead dwarves.
2 adamantine spires have been mined already, but not breached yet.
56 levels used, and almost all have some kind of purpose.
Urist Tomesglad the Bases of Failing, the Fortress hero, has 68 notable kills and has had five children (only a disabled one still alive). She's the only dwarf wearing adamantine.

Except for the mostly newbie military and the crazy layout it's overall a happy and solid fortress.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: January 09, 2013, 02:53:53 am »

Events till midsummer of 1079:

Spring:

All forbidden items were reclaimed to do cleanup. Corridors were dug and fortifications carved to peek at some unexplored areas of the caverns. The military was sent to train, as there's a worrisome lack of skilled warriors.

Ghosts were memorialized. This is a chore, given how many dwarves have died and the outdated memorializing techniques, but we put everybody to rest. The dwarves of Ardentdikes have a notorious tendency to die in ways that make retrieving their corpses impossible.

Two dwarves were crushed by the Crusher. Whenever two go through the maze in opposite directions they step under the bridges. A new overpass is designed to let everybody walk over the trap following transit orders. The path is less obvious, so enemies should still go through the Crusher.

Pukako the Exiled Arsonist is now a grown dwarf. Urist Tomesglad's famed war giant eagle Kubuk was crushed by the pet slaughtering Crusher. Blood for the Blood God.

Quothest arrived:

There's now 8 uninvited guests in Ardentdikes, one our caged Ettin.

3 migrants arrived. More ghosts were memorialized. The elves brought a few meager goods for trading, they left safely with three gold statues. Some tamed vultures were released so they act as surveyance drones.

Summer:

Ustuth the Fortifier failed to create an artifact and went melancholic. Another three everydwarves were crushed, as cage traps interfered with the transit orders.

We had the first birth in a very long while.

The golden tomb of Tobul the Lady of the Chambers was still engraved in an obsolescent language, so it's now being dug out and reworked to make it nicer. New accomodations were planned for Urist McDuck, including a well, a garden and access to a few rooms his mansion was isolated from. They'll be properly furnished and isolated before letting him in. Hopefully that will make him a bit more self sufficient.

During the works, it was noticed the ancient armory, flooded in the early years of the fortress, wasn't connected anymore to the river and a drainage pit was already carved under it. A wall was dug out and dwarves were sent to cut the trees that were blocking the flow. Two dwarves were flushed into the drain hole and died, one of them Onul the Doctoid, our second diagnostician. Another three migrants joined this crazy place.

On the 14th of Galena, six squads of goblins and trolls arrived. Some dwarves are still gathering garbage, so we'll see if they make it back inside safely.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:58:10 am by Wastedlabor »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76