Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 212408 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)
« Reply #1110 on: January 09, 2013, 03:04:31 am »

Ardentdikes' strongest and safest year to date and there's seven eight deaths already, hah.

Edit: Forgot to count the melancholic clothier.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:15:43 am by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 09, 2013, 03:43:11 am »

Ill take an overseers spot, should be !!FUN!!
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 09, 2013, 09:11:42 am »

You can test that the previous save works well in your 31.25 install and that the FPS is acceptable.

A brief pre-update: the fortress survived the siege with only three casualties, one of them NotPete :(

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 09, 2013, 04:33:41 pm »

Uh oh. Lava...

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 09, 2013, 05:15:15 pm »

The eight squads of enemies surrounded the fortress as the Town Bell was rang. One rookie wrestler rushed the siege and died, though he saved a farmer that got inside in time. The troll squads went first: One went through the eastern grinder, which has probably been not functional since who knows when and I ordered to reopen to let the garbage collectors out. The traps stopped a few of them as they tried to tear apart the hatches. Urist Tomesglad, the Problematic Syrups and the Acolytes were sent to fight them. Turns out Urvad the Infected Soldier had stolen Tomesglad's adamantine war axe and she was fighting just with Scornedword, her steel shield. Fortunately, Doren the Mean Jailkeeper, Pukako the Exiled Arsonist, Katana Wordypaged the Gladness of Bravery and Astesh Stoppedwhip the Gleeful Lake of Glories took easily care of the trolls.

Another squad of trolls decided to test the Crusher after the addition of the overpass. I'm very pleased with the results:

The northern traps were overwhelmed by three squads of goblins and one of them got through. The marksdwarves were sent, but NotPete and Lielac went ahead alone. Sadly, NotPete didn't stand a chance. Lielac was luckier and fell to the level below.

Katana's squad was sent to clear the remaining goblins. Katana ran ahead and went Kill Bill slicing his way through seven of them. Lokum the Acolyte decided to walk through the west gate, where half squad of goblins remained uncrushed, and promptly found red robes make for poor armor.

A small squad of three marksdwarves with Lielac, Zeocin and a recruit went out to shoot down the remaining units.

Autumn

All the storages near the surface are full, so a new one is designed in the space below the northeast corner of the dikes. Meanwhile it starts raining. Welcome to Steamdikes:

Spare bows and weapons are put in random traps. More tree overgrowth is ordered to be cut --many corridors were blocked already. A few migrants come to replace the casualties. Zolak the skinless yadda yada has arrived, the arrival of forgotten beasts isn't news anymore, they seem to be gathering all under our feet.

Right when the new storage room was being finished, the miner's pickaxe hit an old consrtuction... a long forgotten staircase carved in the magma flooded inner dike. Uh oh...

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 10, 2013, 06:22:50 am »

The lava is almost contained, but whenever the flooding of the armory and the cemetery progresses enough, DF crashes. :'(

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 10, 2013, 07:03:34 am »

Can't progress, here's the save.

In case this kills the fortress, it's all Lorbam the Broker's fault. He even went to sleep after what he did.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 10, 2013, 02:44:07 pm »

Oh why not.  Downloading...
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 10, 2013, 03:33:08 pm »

Aaand nope, she crashes.  Oh well.  If it worked it wouldn't be Ardentdikes.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 11, 2013, 01:31:19 am »

welp on the plus side u now have no excuses for creating an ardentdikes 2 in .34;it'll be several months still for toady to get the new version from what the logs are saying, so you can still get in a succession fort(and with the way forts go, you might get 3 and 4 in as well!)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 11, 2013, 02:44:15 am »

Yeah I was thinking about that already. A side story of Lesser Ardentdikes, where some dwarves took refuge to escape the infection. I already genned a suitable evil volcano embark.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 11, 2013, 12:10:02 pm »

I have this (crop of the center of the embark, it's 5x5):

The embark is practically flat but for what looks like Ardentdikes if it had been successfully casted in obsidian --except it's all soil and stone. :P The magma level is 1 below the ground, so channeling around the mountain is enough to have a magma moat.

Evil biome, with flux and deep metals (dunno which, I don't have DFHack), no aquifer. Year 1080, all four races alive and we are at war with the goblins.

The bad thing is it generated a lot of events, deaths and historical figures and the zipped savegame is 52MB :P
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:43:34 pm by Wastedlabor »

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 11, 2013, 04:42:21 pm »

Lets do this.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 11, 2013, 04:45:04 pm »

I've tested that embark. It's really difficult to survive. It has flying zombies and zombifying evil clouds. :'(

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 14, 2013, 06:10:17 am »

Somehow I forgot to link Moltenchannels (Ardentdikes II) here.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76