Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 212350 times)

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - But where are the dikes? - Need players! - (31.12) (Succession)
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2010, 03:49:45 pm »

Works for me. I'll try saving it and reuploading, and you can see if you can recognize that one.

Edit: I've saved it myself (no time has passed), and uploaded it here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3067
This one works, I will start tomorrow
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - But where are the dikes? - Need players! - (31.12) (Succession)
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2010, 10:28:25 am »

I'm really sorry, I have tried my best,but I'm too busy, I cannot make my turn(Not even I have had the possiblity to load the game,only see if the save was correct)  :(
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - But where are the dikes? - Need players! - (31.12) (Successio
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »

I pegged Domas as the hammerer.  He seemed quiet and carried an axe.

Made me laugh.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2010, 05:47:00 pm »

I suppose I'll take my turn, then. Let me know if I should do otherwise.

Edit: I'm starting my turn. I hope to finish by Monday, and maybe have the first update later tonight.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:51:21 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2010, 09:43:58 am »

From the diary of Urist McDuck, Fishmonger of Ardentdikes

3 Granite, 1059:
Things are getting out of hand. The overseer has locked himself in the hospital, in an attempt to contain the spread of the plague.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, the mayor alternately mopes around and knocks tables over.

No one is in charge, and Ardentdikes is in danger of collapse. Someone has to step forward.

For the moment, I've asked everyone to keep up their regular duties -- it is important to have a sense of normalcy if we want to avoid panic.

4 Granite, 1059:
I've just met with Endok Tallhandles, the Chief Medical Dwarf, and he has bad news -- the terrible sacrifice made by Tsarwash and twenty other dwarves has not halted the spread of the plague. He has examined every dwarf in Ardentdikes, and he's compiled a grim list.

With his support, I've taken all infected dwarves off regular duty, and ordered healthy dwarves not to approach them, or their bodies -- let the dead bury the dead. The makeshift hospital (outside of the old, sealed hospital) has been made a restricted area.

6 Granite, 1059:
It appears that infected animals, which do not heed orders, may still be spreading the plague.

I've ordered all animals caged. We need to do everything we can to contain this outbreak. However, we are preparing for the worst.

9 Granite, 1059:
The plague is spread by the cursed blood of a dread beast, long forgotten, that appeared out of the depths. Our brave soldiers slew it, but they tracked some of it's blood into Ardentdikes. By some fell magic, it has increased many-fold, and spread all over our fair city. Many highly-trafficked areas, already soaked with the blood of our more mundane foes, are now tainted.

I ordered new passages dug to bypass the dangerous areas, but they, too, were quickly coated in blood, pus, and ichor.

19 Granite, 1059:
Things have not gone well. The plague continues to spread. Dwarves who just days ago were fine are rotting from within.

I've accelerated the construction of Lesser Ardentdikes.

22 Granite, 1059:
Endok reports that the plague is spreading faster than he thought possible. Lesser Ardentdikes remains incomplete, but I've decided to begin the evacuation anyway. I'm beginning to order healthy dwarves out of the fortress. Those who are already exposed or infected will carry out supplies to a "neutral zone", where the healthy dwarves can pick them up.

Dwarves met news of the evacuation with a range of responses. Some were despondent,

and many simply lay back on their beds, resigned to their fates. Others reveled amidst the sickness and decay, determined to enjoy their last days on Defini Inala.

Endok has decided to remain in Greater Ardentdikes to care for the sick, though he knows it will be his doom. I've never known a braver dwarf.

6 Slate, 1059:
The evacuation is nearly complete, and most of the healthy dwarves are safely established in Lesser Ardentdikes. Unfortunately, despite the danger (and my express orders), many dwarves still find excuses to venture back into the old fortress.

12 Slate, 1059:
I've finally had a moment to give some thought to our security, and I've ordered the construction of a drawbridge that we can use to seal Lesser Ardentdikes. Only one able-bodied soldier has survived, so we will probably need it.

22 Slate, 1059:
As I feared, some of the dwarves that violated orders and went back into Greater Ardentdikes have been infected. They have been banished to the old fortress. But Daetrin, the dwarf I was most worried about

appears to be fine.

15 Felsite, 1059:

We hastily built a Trade Depot outside Lesser Ardentdikes. We had brought no trade goods out of the old fortress, but we stripped a nearby dead human of his equipment and traded it to the elves. The event has raised our spirits in this time of trial.

28 Felsite, 1059:

The filthy kobold took one look at an infected dwarf and decided to find some other fortress to rob.

1 Hematite, 1059:
I've given the order for Greater Ardentdikes to be sealed. Lesser Ardentdikes is adequately supplied, and I don't want any dwarves wandering into the old fortress.

Alas for Ardentdikes! The corpse aquarium will go unadmired,

and the grand dining halls will be empty.

The glass weapons will not draw blood,

the forges will be silent,

and the roads will lead nowhere.

But the dikes remain,

and while they stand we will not despair. For we are dwarves of The Whirling Girders, and though we have to cleanse the taint upon it with hot magma, we will not give our city up for lost. We came out of Ardentdikes, and we shall return.

Edit: Corrected name of the world
Edit 2: Changed "Faints" to "Fates"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:42:37 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2010, 10:08:38 am »

Hahaha, very nice.  Honestly once things settle down I'd support the use of dfhack's clean map tool, since dwarves don't clean in any coherent way.  But that's a very impressive evacuation.

Also, my dwarf is INVINCIBLE!

Edit:  Or are you planning to put in drains and just flood the whole thing with magma?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:16:32 am by Daetrin »
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - Plagued by the dead - Need players! - (31.12) (Succession)
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2010, 06:53:54 pm »

Edit:  Or are you planning to put in drains and just flood the whole thing with magma?

What would a True Dwarf do?

3 Hematite, 1059:
Greater Ardentdikes is sealed, and the sixteen survivors of the Great Plague are putting the finishing touches on Lesser Ardentdikes.

But not everyone in Greater Ardentdikes is dead. A few dwarves, stronger than the rest, are not yet bedridden. Shouting to us over the walls, they have agreed to prepare the fortress for its cleansing. This band of Heroes

will pull down all the doors in Greater Ardentdikes, so that the cleansing magma can reach every corner of the fortress. They will also dig a system of drains that will let the magma out once the taint has been purged.

11 Hematite, 1059:
With the Heroes in Greater Ardentdikes setting about their work, we too are beginning to prepare for the Cleansing. Several iron pipes and corkscrews were brought out of the old fortress during the evacuation, and as soon as the forges are hot, we'll begin making more.

1 Malachite, 1059:
The month of Hematite was, thankfully, uneventful. We're nearly ready to start the farms in Lesser Ardentdikes

And we are making progress on the pumps that will carry magma from the caldera to the Cleansing of Greater Ardentdikes.

2 Malachite, 1059:
Word comes from Greater Ardentdikes that a former ruler has fallen.

Rest in peace, Pisano.

8 Malachite, 1059:

Deaths are happening more quickly now. The Chief Medical Dwarf has succumbed, we are told, so I expect more deaths to follow.

9 Malachite, 1059:
One of the Heroes tossed a book of Doctor Tallhandles' notes on the plague over the wall to us. After inspecting them closely (with gloves on) for signs of the dread beast's poison, I've taken them and read them.

The plague, as we know, causes flesh to rot. This does not kill a dwarf directly -- though, notes the doctor, it might, if a sufficiently vital body part were affected. Instead, dwarves die primarily because the rotten parts tend to get infected.

Sometimes, though, a rotten part may bleed out

or a dwarf may become incapacitated and starve if nobody is there to feed them.

The patient can be fed and cleaned, and the rotten tissue removed with surgery. This does not cure the disease, for the rot inevitably begins again, but it does delay it -- Aequor, one of the first dwarves to come down with the plague, is still alive and active thanks to two surgeries. The doctor hoped that by teaching the Heroes the rudiments of surgery, they might be able to stay alive long enough to ensure that their work is finished.

That gives me a bit more hope.

15 Malachite, 1059:
When the elven caravan arrived several months ago, a diplomat came with it. He proceeded to pester our miserable mayor incessantly, trying to interrupt his vital work to preach to him about trees. Today, though he went a bit too far. The mayor was removing a bit of scaffolding from the pump system, and the idiot elf decided to stand on it, thinking that this would force the mayor to speak with him.

He was dead wrong. Mayor Cloisteredgifted seems a lot happier now, and I heard him saying that he quite enjoyed his day at work.

27 Malachite, 1059:
With the construction of a well (which took some time, since we had to forge a chain), Lesser Ardentdikes is officially complete!

Meanwhile, work progresses on the pumps, and we're beginning the magmaduct.

17 Galena, 1059:

We still don't have much in the way of trade goods, but we were able to get quite a lot of food and drink for a few odds and ends.

Like the elves, the humans have brought a diplomat -- let's hope this one is a bit more respectful.

1 Limestone, 1059:

The summer has gone at least as well as could be expected. The Heroes have completed their mission in Greater Ardentdikes, Lesser Ardentdikes is fully established, and great progress has been made on the pump system.

If all goes well, I hope to begin the Cleansing by the years' end.

Edit: Spoilered an image.
Edit 2: Corrected number of survivors. It was lower than I thought...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:50:24 am by DuckThatQuacks »

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2010, 07:43:01 pm »

I died there will probably be nobody to put me in my tomb.  Redwarf me Pisano II I possible and can I have a spot on turn order again?  Thanks.

Sounds like a diving save to keep even that many dwarves alive.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2010, 07:54:10 pm »

I died there will probably be nobody to put me in my tomb.

Most of the Heroes are still active, so one of them probably stuck you in there. Any preferences for professions for Pisano II?

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:18 pm »

Most of the Heroes are still active, so one of them probably stuck you in there. Any preferences for professions for Pisano II?
Mason or other craftsman but anything is great.   Thanks!

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2010, 10:23:03 pm »

I'm really glad that you managed to save the colony so far. I thought that we were done for. :0
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2010, 08:57:59 am »

2 Limestone, 1059:
Dwarves have been complaining about having to sleep on the floor.

Why did we even bother to make beds? Still, I've asked young Pisano II, one of our carpenters, to put together a few more. Looks like he's doing a pretty good job.

4 Limestone, 1059:
Zas Onulluslem, a weaver, discovered a kobold thief lurking near Lesser Ardentdikes. The fiend slashed her leg.

It then fled straight into the human caravan guards, who made short work of it. Zas, meanwhile, is staggering back inside. I've ordered a bed set aside for her.

6 Limestone, 1059:
Zas wasn't in the hospital, so I asked around to see whether anybody knew where she was. I finally learned that she had collapsed on her way in, triggering one of our cage traps.

I've ordered her freed.

10 Limestone, 1059:
Nobody wants to free poor Zas. I've offered extra rations as a reward to the dwarf who finally does it.

In other news, the magmaduct is progressing, albeit slower than I had hoped -- only a few dwarves at a time can work on it.

17 Limestone, 1059:
Zas is still caged. I don't know why nobody wants to let her out -- you have to walk by her cage to leave the fortress. Desperate, I've asked our mechanics to connect a lever to the cage. Which they are cheerfully doing, even though it would be easier if they would just let her out.

19 Limestone, 1059:

The mayor has demanded that we produce figurines "for the good of the fortress."

Yeah, sure. I told him he should go make them himself. "Good idea!" he said, and went off to the forge.

29 Limestone, 1059:
Magmaduct construction proceeds steadily, but slowly.

1 Sandstone, 1059:

I had been hoping we would receive reinforcements from the capital, but it looks like we're on our own.

15 Sandstone, 1059:
Zas has been freed from her cage, and has been lying in bed for weeks now, untended. I asked where our doctor was, and finally found her in the dining hall.

I told her if she wants to slack off, she can go back to Greater Ardentdikes.

20 Sandstone, 1059:
I'm increasingly worried about the threat of an attack by goblins or some other enemy, so I asked our smiths to produce some serrated iron disks, which we are setting up outside the entrance.

15 Timber, 1059:
Over two months after she was injured, Zas finally has the splint she needs to get back out of bed.

19 Timber, 1059:

When we started to bring goods to the depot, we saw that the humans had left behind most of the goods we traded to them!

I hope they don't take offense. Perhaps the mayor can explain if he ever gets around to meeting their diplomat, who has been waiting patiently in the dining hall.

We gave the traders some discarded human equipment in exchange for wood, food, drink, seeds, plaster powder, and new dogs to replace those lost in the Great Plague.

27 Timber, 1059:
Winter will soon be upon us, and, since so many dwarves are wearing worn out and ragged clothes (or, in the case of a certain mason-dwarf, no clothes at all), we've set up a farmer's workshop, loom, and clothier's workshop in some of the unused parts of Lesser Ardentdikes, and I've ordered the production of clothes.

1 Moonstone, 1059:

The magmaduct is nearly done.

As long as we aren't attacked, the magma should be flowing well before the winter's end. I hope.

Edit: Spoilered images.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:21:20 am by DuckThatQuacks »

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2010, 02:26:12 pm »

Did everyone who had rot die ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2010, 05:03:54 pm »

Did everyone who had rot die ?

Pretty much. See the notes at the end of this post.

17 Moonstone, 1059:
The magmaduct is within spitting distance of the inner wall of Greater Ardentdikes.

We're moving supplies into position in preparation for the construction of the machine components we'll need.

27 Moonstone, 1059:
The magmaduct is complete!

We just have to put in a floodgate and activate the power supply.

7 Opal, 1059:
It's done at last! The pumps begin to work...

I'm going to pull the lever and open the floodgate.

8 Opal, 1059:
The lever broke off in my hand, before disintegrating into green... numbers. But only 0's and 1's...

And I can see through walls, and the earth -- from where I stand I can see all the way to the great caverns beneath Ardentdikes, and to the very bottom of the volcano. And none of it's real! It's all some sort of illusion! We're trapped in an artificial world inside a... a... machine! We have to -- !

1 Moonstone, 1059:
It feels like I've been asleep for months! And I had... startlingly realistic dreams. At breakfast this morning, I heard conversations that I swear were exactly the same as ones in my dream. I'm currently filling out orders for further construction on the magmaduct, and it feels as if I've already done it, so vivid and... precise... was the dream.

27 Moonstone, 1059:
We completed the magmaduct today, just as I had foreseen. But somehow, I knew that we shouldn't power it up just yet, unless we wanted yet another tragedy.

5 Opal, 1059:
Using my foreknowledge, I was able to change my orders slightly to increase the speed with which we finished the mechanisms. The magmaduct is ready.

6 Opal, 1059:
I pulled the great lever and, thankfully, it worked.

The Cleansing of Ardentdikes has begun.

8 Opal, 1059:
Some of the dwarves are already celebrating our accomplishment.

But we have a long wait ahead of us, and it feels almost as if time has slowed down.

10 Opal, 1059:
Somehow, I know what is happening in Greater Ardentdikes. Two long-suffering dwarves were at last relieved by the magma.

The entry-halls of Ardentdikes will soon be clean.

17 Opal, 1059:
Don't ask me how, but I know that some of the great works of the artisans of Ardentdikes have been consumed by the magma.

But more great works will produced. And these ones are magma-proof.

29 Opal, 1059:
Fine engravings on the floors of Ardentdikes are being washed away like lines in the sand.

I know longer question how I know these things -- I just do.

2 Obsidian, 1059:
I've had little time for my duties, so distracted am I by visions. Coal, lignite, and alcohol are all burning in Greater Ardentdikes -- but the taint is being purged.

1 Granite, 1059:
Much of Ardentdikes is now cleansed.

But Greater Ardentdikes is a huge place, and it will be some time before the magma fills every corner. For now, the Remnant will have to remain in Lesser Ardentdikes. Our defenses are a bit thin, but they can easily be strengthened with a few dogs -- and we can always close the drawbridge if we need to.

We are, I think, adequately supplied -- though rather disorganized. The crisis for which I stepped forward has passed. I have had to do many things during the Evacuation and in preparation for the Cleansing -- mining, masonry, cooking, carpentry, brewing -- I even practiced swordsdwarfship, though I hope I shall never need to use it. I would dearly love to go back to being a simple fishmonger. But, though I am turning over command of the Remnant to someone else, I have a higher calling than selling fish.

Well, that was more Fun than I've had in Dwarf Fortress in some time. More fun, too. The Plague was absolutely ridiculous -- even counting Taequebb, sealed in his panic room, only sixteen out of seventy-five dwarves survived (though see below). I almost certainly could have saved more dwarves -- I didn't start paying serious attention to the Plague until the number of infected dwarves outside of the sealed hospital nearly tripled in just a few in-game days. And at first, I focused on trying to get dwarves to clean up and/or stay away from contaminated areas, instead of flat-out evacuation.

Though my posts might make it seem otherwise, the evacuation was more of a panicked flight than an orderly withdrawal. And then, because I still wanted some supplies, I kept Greater Ardentdikes open for a while -- which allowed a bunch of dwarves who had escaped to go back inside (despite being assigned to the Lesser Ardentdikes burrow) and get infected. That decision cost around eight dwarves -- and some of them probably still could have been saved if I'd made better use of a quarantine zone I set up, instead of throwing everyone with any fluid on them into the fortress.

I could have used DFHack to clean up the assorted fluids, but that just seemed like such an... elven way to do it. Plus, construction of the giant magmaduct gave me a project to focus on. I could, however, have probably set things up so that the parts that were definitely dangerous got filled sooner.

Anyway, some notes for future overseers:

The magma has cleaned most of the dangerous areas of the fortress. But at least three worrisome spots remain, and there may be more.

The one by the well is, I think, the most dangerous -- dwarves will go there to get a drink, and water allows other liquids to spread. The magma should, if left to run long enough, clean all of those spots -- but Greater Ardentdikes is absolutely huge, so that will take some time. Maybe even enough time to make building a second magmaduct worth it -- with better planning, it could probably be built a lot faster than I built mine. You could, say, dig a tunnel to bring the magma as close to the walls as possible, then pump from there.

When Ardentdikes is full (or after you use DFHack and just want to get rid of the magma), there are two levers that activate the drains. One is by the "Cleanse Ardentdikes" lever (which should also be pulled, to halt the flow of magma) and one is in the courtyard.

I think I made all of its connections out of magma-proof mechanisms, so it should still work.

Three dwarves remain alive in Greater Ardentdikes. One does not have the Plague -- he was in the hospital for some other reason when Tsarwash sealed it, and he's still there.

One is a child, who definitely has the Plague -- he is constantly emitting puffs of miasma -- but he hasn't gotten any infections or anything so he's still alive.

And then there's Unib Wonderclasp. Every single part of his body is marked as injured, but he's still walking around and doing just fine. Every time I try to look at his health screen (v --> z --> h) DF crashes (that's what caused the crash in this last post), so I'm not sure what's up.

I worry that these guys might still manage to spread the plague, so I never tried to get them out of Greater Ardentdikes. Maybe magma can finally kill Unib. But maybe not.

The Remnant of Ardentdikes is quite disorganized -- by this point, most dwarves have most labors enabled. Furthermore, while there is a little space left, Lesser Ardentdikes is very much a microfortress, so you may want to expand it. Just be wary of puncturing Greater Ardentdikes.

Here's the save:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3101

I quite enjoyed this, and am very interested to see what happens next. Hopefully Ardentdikes can recover from my turn.

Edit: Corrected grammar (repeatedly)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:51:42 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »

Fantastic work, Duck. The recap of the few trapped dwarves left in Greater Ardentdikes was particularly appreciated.

Pisano, would you be willing to upload the map? It'd be good to capture the (hopefully) post-plague fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 76