Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 212092 times)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - Full of magma - (31.12) (Succession)
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2010, 06:31:14 am »

I guess I'll start then... Will we change to .16?? It seems like a good time to catch up with updates

Yep, sounds good to me.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - Cleansed of magma - (31.16) (Succession)
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2010, 07:02:47 pm »

Diary of Maquox:

A really weird series of events happened recently, I was just going on with my own business and all of a sudden, Daetrin, the Drainer of Ardentdikes, told me that he was exhausted with all the bureaucracy involved with managing the place, and but me in charge, (yeah, certainly not the best option, I know).

1 Granite:
I gave my first day to the near-impossible task of understanding Ardentdikes. Why is there a dwarf working alone in a defenseless dungeon still? How tall did they plan to do the great tower/pyramid/whatever at Ardentdikes' entrance? And...oh well, time will tell.

We started planning the operation "Restore Greater Ardentdikes", which should be operative tomorrow.

2 Granite:
The wooden wall on Ardentdikes' west entrance was deconstructed and an underground passageway connects it to Lesser Ardentdikes. An avalanche of Dorfs ran inside with one, and only one, idea in mind. "Store item in Stockpile".

I set up some orders to make some more beds, tables, and the like to refurbish the Fortress, and looking for ways to optimize and develop what ended disfigured with the magma operation.

17 Granite:
Migrants!! Lots of them! We are now 78 Dwarfs/Dwarves, the more Dwarfpower the better.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The problem is that, with all the loot the sieges and elves gifted us with, I can't get the dwarves to actually do work,

2 Slate:
Wow, I totally understand Daetrin now, One whole month and I have to manually tell them not to go out seeking socks and mittens, just to get them to build some walls.

12 Slate:
Oh yes, message has come from the Mountainhome that they wish to make a Barony of our fortress, I of course agreed, and as no one was around at the rime, I suggested myself as Baroness. I love to be in charge.

2 Felsite:
Today I made the plans for a shrine in honour of all the martyrs of Ardentdikes, it's construction will begin shortly.

15 Felsite:
I feel like this is starting to get easy.  :)

Oh! there it is.

This guy's name didn't scare me, it was humanoid and ettin sounded like an entry dish, so I didn't give it much importance, I just supposed the military could handle it, and locked the doors, calling the dwarves inside.

17 Felsite:
Note to self; named creatures that appear with warning boxex DO break buildings. As you may have guessed, the door was no opponent for this Ettin, so I sent the military, not the professional military, of course, they were WAY too busy sleeping, drinking and "On Break" to help, so I Drafted nameless dwarves without professions to attack it. (On that topic... I accidentally drafted Pisano II too. Hope you can forgive me)

The Ettin also seems to have catapult arms, it attacked a dog and sent him from here:
to here:
That's roughly half the length of the Embark... (Strangely the Dog survived with more than half of his body intact)

That's it for now, going to attack the beast, tell you how it goes later.

OOC: FPS are arounf 20 most of the time, lowered to 12 in the worst part.
I am trying to butcher everything. Any ideas to solve/find a good use to the everlasting flames of !!Lignite bin!! ??

Don't you just love magma-baked cookies?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2010, 08:02:38 pm »

those should burn out...eventually...until then, leave them outside as heat death points.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2010, 09:04:27 pm »

Obsidianize, cave-in and hope you get lucky, turn temp off while you atomsmash them...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2010, 09:36:15 pm »

Thanks for the tips with the eternal fire, I don't think I'll be able to do much in my turn, everything is scattered around, some order will take time.

What are the water and magma pump stacks for? just a reserve for future Fun or do they have an immediate use?

Glacial

• Bay Watcher
  • d~~
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2010, 11:29:04 pm »

Dariush had intended to do some magma casting with the pump stacks many years ago. They never got turned on, but if you wanted to do some significant surface redesigns, they're available.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:12 am »

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2010, 03:22:16 pm »

The battle didn't go as well as planned, for some reason, all the Dwarfs I draft seem to either keep doing what they were doing, drink more alcohol, or try to be an hero and attack the beast alone.  Anyway, we lost three dwarves because of this, and the Ettin was still walking...

I seriously admire it's strength, but it took so long to kill, and it murdered some of the friendliest dwarves it seems, because a lot of them are tantrumming here and there. But at least the fort is safe... for now.

15 Hematite:
Just so you get an idea of how the general mood is,

The fort is at this time a mix of Fun in various forms, and the Captain of the guard is having an awesome time between tantrumming and hitting tantrumming dwarfs.

As the last Captain had died, I just selected the first dwarf in the list to establish the temporary Justice. It happened to be Urist McDuck the Seer, who seemed to love sticking his pick everywhere, including some other past rulers who were pretty sad because they had been drafted and lost two friends... such as Pisano II...

I am really sorry, but this has to go on.

2 Malachite:

The kid finished using the workshop, he created a Dwarf Bone buckler, it's quite nasty, but might serve a purpose some day. The kid is also very happy now, so at least something positive was made of the whole mess.

That's it for now, still trying to give the tantrum spiral an end, a lot of dwarves are now on vacation.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2010, 03:41:01 pm »

It happened to be Urist McDuck the Seer

I imagine I'm pretty good at solving crimes.

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2010, 04:20:22 pm »

Tantrums are getting out of control... we're losing dwarfs and miasma is appearing more and more (as tantruming dwarfs don't clean)

I'm not sure I can cope with this, any wild suggestions??

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2010, 04:25:25 pm »

Can you re-evacuate the sanest dwarves to Lesser Ardentdikes? Or anywhere that you can sequester them away so that they don't have to deal with the tantruming and miasma?

It's the Headshoots Solution.

Edit: It's also probably a good idea to not have a Captain of the Guard. As awesome as it is that my dwarf is now a relentless dispenser of Justice, it's probably best to minimize the number of dwarves killed.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:35:51 pm by DuckThatQuacks »

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2010, 08:33:55 am »

If you build some chains or ropes and assign them as a gaol, it will stop the captain if the guard from beating people to death. He will chain them up instead. Watch out though that people who get chained up don't starve or dehydrate to death, this happens a lot if the dwarves aren't working. Un-build the ropes if necessary. That ought to stop further deaths.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2010, 06:49:16 pm »

It's nice that we have a pre-existing bolthole.  Lesser Ardentdikes should really be completely airlocked from the outside and from Greater Ardentdikes...
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2010, 09:41:59 pm »

Can you re-evacuate the sanest dwarves to Lesser Ardentdikes? Or anywhere that you can sequester them away so that they don't have to deal with the tantruming and miasma?

It's the Headshoots Solution.

Edit: It's also probably a good idea to not have a Captain of the Guard. As awesome as it is that my dwarf is now a relentless dispenser of Justice, it's probably best to minimize the number of dwarves killed.

There's also the "had punishment delayed recently" happy thought. It's not much but it's certainly better than nothing.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 25, 2010, 04:34:56 pm »

15 Dwarves, all miserable, 3 stricken by melancholy, one chained and dying of thirst, Trolls are roaming inside Ardentdikes (strangely not attacking but rather spawning infinite cancel spam). Nobody is doing (or will do) any work, but there have been nearly nil tantrums, they will either go insane at the same time or eventually someone will get better.

I sealed Lesser Ardentdikes with two dwarves inside, and a group in Greater Ardentdikes is surviving quite well, but the Trolls don't let them sleep.

It is now Mid-Autumn.

Wish me luck....

--------------------------------------

Reporting in, three dwarves alive, I managed to clean and reorganize Lesser Ardentdikes and the two dwarves living in there are now in a good mood and working (sometimes at least).

I also just noticed the manager is sealed from everything, I know not if TauQuebb meant to be a last resort to avoid complete annihilation, but he did succed on being the third dwarf alive (and the only ecstatic dwarf at that)

The other two are Duck and Deduk Rulushnomal, between the three they must survive until "help" or something happens. I don't suppose migrants come with two sieges at the same time, so I'll just wait alone...

On other news, a Forgotten beast appeared, but is luckily sealed off in the underground, maybe we can divert it upwards to kill the goblins, if we prefer being murdered by one instead of 50 beings.

OOC: if you think it is better to revert to the last save I understand it, but I seriously think this is saveable.

Back in context: I decided to flood the fortress with water, to drown the giant goblin army, the river froze, so plan W failed too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:52:49 pm by Maquox »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 76