Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 210736 times)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the Dimension of Portent, The Ancient Continent:

So, as we all know, after a thousand years of various wars and whatnot, Dwarven civilization has been pushed back into one little corner of the world.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The land has been mostly taken over by humans

And worse, elves!

Oh yeah and there are some goblins.  Filthy buggers.

The queen back in Egulcerol has decided it is time to take back the land!  Though this time, not through force of arms.  The other races are simply too numerous.  No, instead we're going to establish a new power, a place from which dwarves can dominate the land, one that isn't huddled up against the corner of the world and surrounded by tree-dwellers.
Sacred seven, she's decided.  Seven caravans of seven dwarves.  Even if we don't get seven new cities, at least one will survive, right?

In case you hadn't noticed, the queen is a right daft old bird.

Well I certainly noticed, and in a case of not enough beer, I was loose-lipped enough to say so to the bartender.  Not the brightest idea I had.
Next thing I know I was on The List and in the throne room and the queen was beaming at me.  "Udib," she said.  "I've decided to put you on wagon number four.  You're headed to the Calm Hills.  Doesn't that sound nice?"

"Well...yes."  It really didn't sound so bad.  Maybe I'd misinterpreted.  There wasn't that much work for an architect in Egulceral anyhow.

"Good, off you go!"

And off I went, to the map room.  Oh and how wrong I was.  Curse this memory of mine, it had been too long since I'd studied geogaphy. 

The Calm hills were on the other side of the world!  Assuming you made it to the Spine of Persuading in the first place, you still had to make it across The Stormy Dune.  And the Dune of Crushing.  And the Quiet Desert.  That was ignoring the fact that a pair of Goblin fortresses guarded the entrance to the valley.

Apparently the queen didn't like being called a daft old bird.  Imagine that.

An apprentice Hammerer showed me to my wagon.   "Udib," he said heartily.  "Just so you don't have any urges to skip out on this, I thought you should know one of your traveling companions is a hammerer.  It's just to keep ya'll honest."

Honest.  Right.  I eyed my new companions warily as he dropped me off.

I pegged Domas as the hammerer.  He seemed quiet and carried an axe.  The rest, I just wondered how they'd ended up here.

And off we went.  It was a long, long slog, with way too many elf settlements on the way.  Filthy hippies.  Still, it was more or less uneventful until we reached the Spine of Persuading.

"Goblins!" Lokum was the first to spot them, and it made us all pick up the pace.  Domas just grunted and put a hand on the haft of his axe.
Oh yeah, definitely a hammerer.

Soon enough we were outright running.  I couldn't tell if they were following or not, but nobody else seemed willing to stop and find out.

Eventually...eventually we saw steam rising into the air from a hole in the ground, and the rumbling of shifting stone.

Magma!  I wasn't exactly expecting it at the base of the mountains like this.  And Sakzul was eyeing the brook eagerly, fisherman that he was.

"Good enough," I said.  "Look, we have magma and water right here.  I don't fancy trying to climb up mountains to try and escape some goblins that may or may not be nearby.  We can wall them out just as easily, and we can always dig down."

"Eh, " said Lokum.   "Why not?"  She was one of our three miners (all women, for some reason.  And why three?  But I digress), and they'd be doing most of the work.

"What are we going to name it?" asked Sakzul, and the argument was on.  Eventually we settled on The Cunning Labors for our group (my idea, that one.  At least, I think my labor is cunning...), and Ardentdikes for the fortress.  I don't know why but there you have it.

---
OOC Stuff:

This is my first succession game,  and given how full they seem to get I don't think one more will overcrowd the forums.

I'm using the embark I generated that I found amazing, because no matter how many more I generated I couldn't get the same lightning to strike again in an evil area.  That said, it seems much of the Fun in succession games comes from different players having completely different ideas of what to do.  We have water and magma to pump straight off and all the civs are alive.

Yes, I'm using a tileset, but no other mods so you can swap raws as it pleases you.

I'm going to be setting up a lot of designations to start out using a sort of modular design.  If you want the quickfort files for them I can oblige but most of you will probably be horrified by my planning and do something else entirely :p.

The sort-of semi-goal of the succession is to build a royal-looking city-fortress.  A dwarven royal-looking city-fortress, so preferably including deathtraps and magma.  I have no particular megaprojects in mind.

Normal succession rules, one week real time / one year game time.  When it's your turn please reply within 48 hours or you'll be skipped (but preferably reply much much sooner than that).

Is there anything I'm forgetting? (I'll post my turn when/if I get some signups and people interested.)  Edit: I remembered something I forgot, init settings.  Economy is broken, so I'm fine with that being off.  If you need to turn off weather and temperature for FPS reasons, make sure to turn it on when you do something with magma, or for the seasonal freezing/thawing.

Players (Finished)(Active)(Skipped)(Passed)

• Daetrin
  • Dariush
  • Lafiel
  • Aequor
  • Pisano
  • TauQueb(again)
  • Glacial
  • Tsarwash
  • DuckThatQuacks - And it was awesome!
  • Blurg (partial turn)
  • lolghurt (Partial turn)
  • Daetrin
  • Maquox
  • MarineMorton
  • SethCreiyd - BEST TURN EVER
  • mrbobbyg
  • Maquox
  • Glacial
  • Korva
  • DuckThatQuacks
  • Pukako
  • Dariush
  • Lafiel
  • cahocachi
  • hitto
  • da_nang
  • Ghills
  • katana
  • Deathsword
  • Dariush
  • Malarauko
  • MarcAFK
Current Save
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:05:43 pm by Daetrin »
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - A majestic fort (31.08) (Succession)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:22:20 am »

Count me in. I have never played a succession fort before, and now seems like the perfect time to start., specially since my laptop isnt all that great so getting an early turn will be perfect for me.
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 02:36:53 am »

Signing up! Get me the 3rd or 4th turn since I'll be unavailable for a few days. Let's make the Queen green with envy.  :P

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 03:09:03 am »

I've never built a megaproject before so it's time to start sometime :) Sign me up please ;) (preferrably earlier)

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:35:02 am »

Sign me up too please!  :D Also a first time succession player.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:45:03 am by Sidhien »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 05:31:42 am »

Sign me up. Can we have a ruling that if the next player doesn't pick up the save and say so 24 hours after it's uploaded and posted here, the next person in line takes their turn?

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:08:01 am »

Well I've been meaning to play a succession game as part of my 'try anything at least once' policy, so sign me up please! :D
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 07:19:44 am »

May I join?

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 09:03:32 am »

Count me in, got the hang of DF2010 now, so would be good to try a sucession.

I use a G11 keyboard, it has built in macro buttons, great for df

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 10:40:19 am »

Man these do fill up quickly.  Give me a minute and I'll start up a list in the first post

Sign me up. Can we have a ruling that if the next player doesn't pick up the save and say so 24 hours after it's uploaded and posted here, the next person in line takes their turn?

24 hours might be a tad tight for certain work schedules, but 48 is definitely reasonable.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:53:28 am by Daetrin »

Doors stop fire, right?

evilgenius21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 11:10:38 am »

I've been wanting to play some succession games. Sign me up if you will.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 11:19:48 am »

Sign me up as well.  Thanks.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:11 pm »

1 Granite 1051.
We struck the earth on the first day of 1051.  It struck me as apropos, symbolic even, to start anew with the year.  I'd spent some time designing the beginnings of the fortress, keeping in mind there was no need to dig all of it at once.  Farms and lodgings first, I decided.  Carpentry and masonry could be done on the surface until we had a chance to move into good, solid rock.

I tried to make something that was compact and aesthetic, but also easy to add on to.  I knew that no dwarf could manage a fortress for long and retain his sanity.  One year was the usual period, and I didn't want to leave my succesors with too much of a mess.

But I'd grown tired enough of the cramped quarters I'd had before to design something a bit larger for us.

So we started in earnest.  The miners dug, Domas chopped some trees with that axe, Sakzul fished.  Sodel wandered off muttering about berry-picking, and I took freshly-dug rock for my own work.

10 Granite 1051
Turns out all the aquatic life had migrated into the brook, so even the few pools of water were useless for fishing.  Ah well, I'd intended to make the brook safely accessible anyway.

14 Granite 1051.
Yes, the food stockpiles extend under the brook a little bit.  Deal with it.

18 Granite 1051.
I know it may be early, but I had Domas throw a few beds together and put them someplace temporary.  No use in sleeping on rock or sand if we don't need to.

23 Granite 1051.
By Tesum's left buttock, a giant eagle!  I really hope it doesn't decide to be too friendly.

25 Granite 1051.
Curses!  I made the Fishing Alcove slightly too wide.  Or, alternately, slightly too far north.  Either way, it's going to have to be partly rebuilt.  It's doubly galling that I'm the one who put up those walls...
11 Slate 1051.

This place is looking nice already.  We've hit upon some iron ore and some gems.  I'm not a metalworker or a gemsmith though, so I'll leave the exact specifics to someone else.

14 Slate 1051.
I thought I'd have to figure out the arcane working of mechanisms, but it turns out the fisherman already knows about them!  Good, I'm overworked as it is, and we need some to properly prepare our farming area.

21 Felsite 1051
A lot of preliminary mining done, and we have a rough dining room.

It's by no means a legendary one but it's a start.  And hey, it's better than eating standing up.

10 Hemetite 1051.
The irrigation of our underground farm was accomplished without incident...

Except the water levels are far too high.  I talked it over with Sakzul and we're going to make a pump to remove the excess.  It shouldn't take much.
But first, a break!

24 Hemetite 1051.  Whoops.  THe area I told the miners to excavate next was set up for metal industry, rather than crafting.  I was going to get to it eventually, I just wanted a place to put my masonry shop first!

8 Malachite.

Three dwarves have appeared over the horizon!  When I asked them how they found us, one of them told me they were in Wagon Three and they'd swung too near to some goblins.  Maybe the rest of the wagon survived, but more likely not.
One of them was a fellow mason who'd somehow ended up cleaning fish most of the time.  Faugh, I say, let the fishers clean their own fish (or at least let peasants do it) and we masons must ply our trade!

16 Malachite.
And I pressed one of the new migrants into service to operate our pump.  It worked perfectly and the water is beginning to subside.  Soon we will have farms of delicious sweet pods and quarry bushes!

28 Malachite.
And even with the...ahem, slight issues, I seem to be on or even ahead of schedule!  With the help of the second mason I have put together a Trade Depot out of bauxite.  It's a nice red color, really...

19 Galena 1051.
Our spare battle axe has gone missing!

Evidently I didn't take enough care in moving our possessions safely indoors.  This will be rectified immediately.

1 Limestone 1051.
Autumn already!?  We don't have anything for the caravan when it comes...
Apparently Tobul used to work with wood.  Well that's kind of useless, but stone is like wood, isn't it?  Close enough, anyway.  Now that the miners have gotten around to digging out the crafting space, I showed her the craft shop and left her to it.

10 Limestone 1051.
I've reduced the amount of exposure our fort has to the world by temporarily erecting a bit of a bridge.  Eventually we'll want a proper entrance but this will work for now.

6 Sandstone 1051.
More stragglers!  Two more dwarves, the sad remains of Wagon Three.  One completely unskilled dwarf and one skilled in both clothesmaking and armoring.  Now there's an eclectic skill mix.  We invited them to share some of our strawberry wine and longland beer, and then put them to work.  At the moment we were trying to set up some decent  stockpiles.

16 Timber 1051.
Well, we finally got our caravan from civilization.  They didn't even come from Egucerol, but rather, Estilthob.  Apparently old queen Edem has spread out the trading duties.  The liason traveling along with them was a tough-looking dwarf called Ingiz Itonsazir.  And wouldn't you know it, she carried a hammer.  Probably to remind us that dwarven justice applies even out here in the middle of nowhere.

Turns out nobody has any trading experience.  After a bit of dickering I decided I might as well do it myself, get a feel for it.  We had a reasonable food supply so I passed over their food and drink for the most part in favor of some cloth and leather.  We had some stone trinkets but they didn't account for much.
I let Lokum handle the hammerdwarf.  Was surprised it wasn't Dumas she wanted to speak to, but whatever.  Lokum, of course, was busy mining.

15 Moonstone 1051.
As we clear out the stone and prepare to tap the magma vein so we can start our metal and glassworks, I have taken upon myself to make preparations

It's a dangerous job, though we all hope there will be no tragedy involved.

17 Moonstone 1051.
The brook froze overnight!  We will have to make certain to have our own underground water supply once it begins running again in the spring.  A lack of water in a time of crisis can be deadly.

24 Moonstone 1051.
We have safely tapped the magma!  Though the hammerdwarf, tagging along behind Lokum, came dangerously close to being engulfed by it.  Now that would have been a bad way to start out.

8 Opal 1051.
By Tesum eighth testicle!  Someone neglected to put in a proper door on the magma level!  Fortunately there's nothing under there...but now there never will be.  It's a hazard future managers will have to be aware of if they build up from below.

I'm going to have those ramps floored off for now.  It's just too dangerous.  In fact, I'll do it myself.

15 Obsidian 1051
Most of the brook unfroze today.  Except the bit where the Fishing Alcove is.  Damn you, nature!

25 Obsidian 1051.
There goes the rest of it.  The sound of the ice cracking and rushing is really reminiscent of a cave-in.  Very disturbing.

1 Granite 1052.
And here we are.  Not a bad year all around, I suppose.  I didn't get anyone killed, but just the minor disasters were enough for me.  I'm going to retire, pass on the management to whoever wants it...and spend some time with Doren.  Turns out she's as much of an architect as I am...

--
OOC:  Not a particularly Fun year, but it was mostly setting up.  Now, if we were in an evil biome that would be punctuated with the chopping of skelks.  :P  The fort needs tidying up like whoah.  On to the next person!

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2605
Map: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9048-ardentdikes-ardentdikes

Doors stop fire, right?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 04:23:11 am »

It looks pretty good :) I guess I'll build a cast-obsidian fortress aboveground using those two circle-shapes (and two more) as molds :) By the way, why haven't you dug out the rooms on level 45? (or at least passage between farms and depot)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 06:44:35 am »

Partly because I didn't get around to it (I didn't have anything actually planned for those rooms) and partly because those designations were at least in part to help me plan locations and distances.  Actually I didn't even finish digging out stockpile areas, but oh well.  Not my problem now!  :D

Doors stop fire, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 76