Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 210715 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - A majestic fort (31.08) (Succession)
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 03:57:51 am »

Also, what are we building up there?
First, I tried to build a 7-level high mould for the future obsidian casting. On the second level I got fed up with planning (it's either building the floors outside or building the wall section by section from the fartherst point) so I built a square mold. On third level I thought about building the square of the same side but then thought it would be too easy to cast in, so I used the previous wall as floor and built new wall on empty space, thus making it sort of pyramid. It will be one hell to cast (if anyone will care to) but well, that's dwarvenly  :P
How many dwarves did you manage to kill total, Dariush?
7. Four against giant olm, one against troll, one for the mood (when I dug into caverns to get him 'his' body parts it all got so messed up that I had to seal them up and fight what got out of there for one and half months AFTER he went insane :)) and one was minorly injured in some fight and died from thirst.
And did you get them all into coffins?  :P
No one at all ;) Not a single one of them died a proper death - five were too stupid to pick up axe(s), one was too stupid to request something we had for his mood and one was simply too lazy to live ]:-> I thought about dumping them into magma, but I couldn't find your previous dump site and wasn't up to risking stone to be burned and corpses NOT to :)

Also, the problem with iron corkscrews wasn't resolved until the end of my turn...  :'( But at least I marked all the levers :) (press Shift+N to look at)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:59:11 am by Dariush »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 06:35:21 am »

More than two days without updates... wasn't this a reason for skipping?...

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 10:45:27 am »

Is it? Didn't know.
I'm working on it, but usually I give all the logs at the end unless something unusual happens.
Gonna hurry then.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 10:50:25 am »

Normal succession rules, one week real time / one year game time.  When it's your turn please reply within 48 hours or you'll be skipped (put preferably reply much much sooner than that).
But oh well, if you are alive and kicking don't hurry - we won't want a forgotten order to brew booze or something similar ;)

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 11:08:07 am »

Normal succession rules, one week real time / one year game time.  When it's your turn please reply within 48 hours or you'll be skipped (put preferably reply much much sooner than that).
But oh well, if you are alive and kicking don't hurry - we won't want a forgotten order to brew booze or something similar ;)
But I DID reply...

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 09:38:19 pm »

But I DID reply...

Don't worry, I wasn't counting hours. ;)
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 12:26:11 pm »

Alright, so here's the turn.

1st Granite, Early Spring
This place is a mess.
I may be the last sane person in this place. After this year of madness, obsidian-casting obsessions of half the crew, and the massacre of our numbers, it's a miracle that we're alive. I thought these episodes of sudden and transitory convertions to this "Dariush" God that came from nowhere would last forever, but somehow the madness has gone, and there's only a few dwarfs affected by now. I can't really understand what happened, and I don't care - I prefer to worry about staying alive.

Since no one is still a hundred percent recovered by now, I've taken charge for the moment. We need some new workshops as soon as possible, and to put those already in place to work. Particularly those smelters. And who the hell thought it was a good idea to build so much metal machinery? We have much more important things to cast - like weapons and armor, for example. Walls nowithstanding, we are defenseless.

6th Granite, Early Spring
The heck?? One of the spiral stair rooms towers is being flooded from a water reservoir coming from the river. It could be much, much worse if there wasn't a lever to turn it off. But anyway, we're lucky to have found out so soon about it, else we would have a very fun problem between hands.

7th Granite, Early Spring
Today we found a goblin snatcher on the walls. No idea of how he got there, but he's not going out anymore. And his bones will make top-notch bolts, I'm sure of it.
Also, after the (rather short) battle with the goblin, I looked for the hospital of the fortress. Turns out there is none. So one will be built on top of the room complexes ASAP.

On another topic, after thinking about that casting thing, I've decided to continue it. It may be a bit far-fetched in our situation, but at least it will keep people busy, and if we are supposed to make a royal capital out of this we may as well get on it right now.

19th Granite, Early Spring
We got some much needed migrants today. But... thanks to our impenetrable defenses and air-lock entrance, they have no clue of how to get inside the fortress. I've set up a meeting area in front of the doors while I think of something.

22th Granite, Early Spring
Ambush! When the migrants got to the trade depot (where I hoped to be able to get them inside) they found 5 hidden goblins waiting for them, with metal armor and whips. The migrant dwarfs have valiantly gone to present battle, but I see much dismemberment in their future.

28th Granite, Early Spring
As I somehow expected, most of the migrants have been massacred without injuring the goblins even once, and the ones still alive are running for their lives all around the fortress with the green horde behind them. Blood for the blood god, I guess. At least they will not be able to get inside the walls, so we're fine for now. But if we had any weapons ready... boy, would that story have gone different.

5th Hematite, Early Summer
The rest of the spring went nicely, building the bottom level of the casting and one more upper level on the structure, while the corpses of our comrades lay on the grass on one corner of the fortress, waiting for some proper burial. I've got some plans about that, but there are things to be done first.

The Goblins are gone at last, maybe they grew tired of waiting for us. An elven caravan came by one week ago, and went back to its oh-so-lovely forest with a few riches less after they tried to rip us off when we negotiated for some wood and furniture. That'll teach them to rise their prices in our faces.

19th Hematite, Early Summer
More migrants! Some of them are even useful. Unbelievable. It feels like things are slowly starting to go well again.
Now that the goblins are out of sight, I've started the construction of two pump buildings nearby the walls, one for water and the other for magma. I've provisionally made a hole in the wall so the dwarfs can actually get out without having to laboriously get through the airlock, and we can get something done at last.

14th Malaquite, Mid-Summer
FLOOD! While redesigning some parts of the water pump tower, the pump that was already in place collapsed into the river... and through its floor into our stockpile area. Needless to say that part fastly became an unplanned swimming pool. The workers have hastily sealed the flood, covering stairs and building impromptu walls. It looks, though, that we are kind of lucky, for the brook is running quite low at this season, and with a little help of the dams that are in place we will probably be able to stop the flow and repair the floor in short time. We were lucky this time.

21th Galena, Late Summer
Finally the hole is repaired, and dwarves rejoiced. Also, we got ourselves some human traders. Exchanged some bone crafts and clothes for leather, bronze objects (to melt for the arsenals) and seeds.

17th Moonstone, Early Winter
I've set up an elevated bridge to allow people to enter and leave the fortress without having to go through the airlock, so we can finally reseal the wall. The bridge is surrounded by a multi-layered complex of rock traps (just in case). Also, I moved some of the entrance levers to the room downstairs, so they won't get magma-flooded when we finally start the casting (I don't think we'll make it this year, though).

23th Obsidian, Late Winter
First casualty of the fortress, and my fault. Fuck. The other engineer of the fortress was testing one of the magma pumps that I had tampered with, and an overflow of magma carried him away right into the magma pipe, where whatever was left of him by then sank all the way to whatever there is in the other side. At least now we know what has to be changed, but heck...

24th Obsidian, Late Winter
Ambush! Some not heavily armed goblins have been spotted around the bridge pillar, but somehow they won't get into the trap area. While they ponder I've ordered the bridge to be retracted so we can isolate them outside like we did with their friends at the beginning of the year.

25th Obsidian, Late Winter
ANOTHER FUCKING AMBUSH! Five more whip-holding goblins, who look definitely braver than their friends. After killing two dwarves who were still outside they have gone directly to the still-not-retracted bridge, and while several of them have been killed or seriously injured the rest are not deterred. Several war dogs have charged against them, but sincerely I don't expect them to do much.

On top of that, the guy who was supposed to pull the lever, and our only doctor has snapped to the pressure, and started behaving strangely, obsesively asking for some materials. Just what we needed.

Well, I hope I could end the year in better conditions, but, DF's a bitch. At least I didn't get a Titan like in my last game :S
For the moment, on 3rd Granite (sorry, with the message cascade I didn't see the "Spring has arrived" thing) we have 2 dwarf casualties and 5 dead dogs, several goblins still remaining. Plus, it looks like with the goblins advances no one dares to actually pull the damn lever. I hope the next guy is a better dwarf tactician than I...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 12:31:49 pm by Lafiel »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 01:38:48 pm »

Good to see it wasn't much more Fun than my turn :))
I wanted to inform you about the first ambush (I abandoned the fort and got the message that should pop up only when ambushed) and warn about well overflowing, but thought a little more and decided not to spoil the fun  :P
Can you post the map? If not, I'll download it (if Daetrin or Sidhien won't beat me to it) and post it myself.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 02:14:51 pm »

I don't remember very well how to do it, if you can do it you'll do me a favor  :-\

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 03:47:26 pm »

Wow, it's amazing how quickly a fortress can undergo disasters!  :P  I'll pull the map and maybe move the save over to DFFD.

...now that I've loaded the save, this place is a mess!  And the goblins!  I feel sorry for Sidhien.  Okay, no I don't.  This is hilariously awesome.

DFFD save here
Map here

And PM sent.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 05:50:02 pm by Daetrin »

Doors stop fire, right?

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 06:53:22 pm »

It's looking good here guys! I anticipate by my turn the goblins will have most of their civ wandering the halls of Ardentdikes, while several forgotten beasts do the same on the other side of the fortress, with the last dwarves stuck in some small room protected only by a door  :P.

Well even if that doesn't happen, there's bound to be alot more Fun.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2010, 04:34:44 am »

So, I see four new levers in addition to all I left... It's going to be pretty Fun if there's no notes or if whoever is to trigger them won't know about how or forget to look at them :P
Also, this red shit on levels 45-42 in the west wing... this is... BLOOD?! WHERE DID SO MUCH BLOOD COME FROM??!!
Oh, and did you get the corkscrews to be produced? If not, than the whole magma pumpstack project is stuck :(
And I only now noticed... THIRTY DEAD DWARVES?! There must have been a rampage :) Armok is pleased ;) Even though, I hope someone will erect doors between all sections of fortress and hatches on ramps so ambushes will be fended off more easily, as Armok won't resurrect everyone in case of Fun :))
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:41:24 am by Dariush »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2010, 04:59:48 pm »

my god the carnage is glorious!

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 07:43:59 am »

Well, all the levers should be noted if I didn't forget :P

Also, no, it's not blood, though there is plenty of blood elsewhere. That red stuff is muddy floor, that's where the flood happened  ;D

And, well, no, I stopped the corkscrew production to make weapons, but somehow nobody would actually go to work to the forge (plenty of volunteers for the smelter though). Weird.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - A blood-soaked mess (31.08) (Succession)
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 08:16:15 am »

Well we're waiting for Sidhien, if there's no reply by 5:50PM EST today (That's when I sent the PM on Friday) we'll have to skip and move on to Jimmy.

Doors stop fire, right?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 76