Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 210713 times)

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - We have ghosts! - (31.18) (Succession)
« Reply #390 on: December 12, 2010, 10:01:02 am »

Wow.

I really can't think of what else to say. I have always loved reading your turns Seth, so I knew this was going to be good. But I didn't expect it to be so good as to pull an old lurker like me out of the shadows.

I totally must be dorf'd, male, if possible!

Edit: Also, I wonder if it would be possible to turn the dike into a MAGMA dike, to celebrate the rebirth (again) of Ardentdikes :D

I'm not sure why... but I would leave magma alone...
Don't you just love magma-baked cookies?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 12, 2010, 10:43:10 am »

We never have before!
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 12, 2010, 01:35:15 pm »

This is a masterful engraving of a slab.  On the slab are listed the names of the dead.  The names continue on and on and on and on.  On the slabs are images of dying dwarves.  The images fill the slab.  There are dwarves being slain by the sword. There are dwarves being slain by goblins. There are dwarves being burned in magma.  There are dwarves being slain by dwarves.  There are dwarves drowning.  There are dwarves dying from rot.  There are dwarves being slain by kobolds.  There are dwarves dying of thirst.  There are dwarves committing suicide.  There are dwarves being pulled apart by trolls.  There are dwarves succumbing to infection.  There are dwarves dying in cave-ins.  There are dwarves dying from the madness of the fey.  There are dwarves being killed by dogs.  This engraving relates to the legions of dwarves who have met their deaths at Argentdikes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Zeocin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 12, 2010, 01:55:16 pm »

Well, dikes are meant to hold back flooding. And what has flooded Ardentdikes? Repeatedly?

It'll be a GLORIOUS tribute to the repeated CLEANSINGS

EDIT: I don't know why, but I get a strange feeling Ardentdikes may be bad for a dwarf's health
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:58:17 pm by Zeocin »

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 12, 2010, 02:03:29 pm »

...I don't know why, but I get a strange feeling Ardentdikes may be bad for a dwarf's health
If my math is right, that would be 206 dead dwarfs...so yeah, it just might be  ;D

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 12, 2010, 02:16:59 pm »

In the basement of Argentdikes, it is mostly quiet.

The goblins are gone, having been defeated by the might of the Bronze Fury.  Some dwarves died in the assault, but is that really a surprise in a place like this?

Elvish merchants are loading their mules, ready to leave this place as soon as they possibly can.  Sethe Aventhoomia is an old, old elf, and she has traded with the dwarves her entire life.  Having escaped drowning, and magma, and just raw violence, she has grown cunning trading with the dwarves, elves who aren't never make it to see their old age, and she knows that they must head out, that the impossibly lavish pile of trinkets, armor, and weapons traded to them by Dariush may prove to cost them far more than the strawberry wine, whip vine seeds, and wood that they brought with them if they don't.

Dariush looked into Sethe's eyes as he ordered yet another fine bronze coat of mail to be placed in front of her, and with a hard stare told her to inform the world of the riches of Argentdikes.  To tell them that the darkness was past.  That steel clad soldiers guarded her gates, and that the taint of the beast had been purified by the blood of their god.

Sethe said she would.  And she intended to keep her word.  And, if only out of sheer greed, out of hope for an equally fine haul next spring, she would not tell the world about how she drove her animals hard to beat a goblin siege to the gates, she would not tell them the sounds that Argentdikes traps made as they sliced, stabbed, and hammered the goblin vanguard, and she would not tell them how thick the coating of blood was on the armor of those steel clad warriors.  Mostly she would not speak of the pale faces of some of the dwarves, as they bent over in the halls, stopping their work, clutching their stomachs.  Dariush could say the taint of Argentdikes had been cleansed, and maybe it had, but Sethe sensed that the taint lay deeper.

Deeper below the trade depot, along a finely smoothed hall, there is a door.  That door leads to a ramp.  Beyond that ramp is a mad dwarf.  A demigod perhaps, drunk on the blood of his enemies, and now, his fellows.  He is alone, trapped, but surrounded by vast stores of wine, ale, and food.  He raises his axe, unconcerned that the fortress moves on beyond him, and slowly, smoothly, performs his exercises, the axe making the slightest sound as he cuts the air...

*Edit*

**Edit 2**

Doors stop fire, right?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:25:20 pm by mrbobbyg »
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 13, 2010, 02:07:00 pm »

Goblins never learn.

*Edit*

**Edit 2**

Doors stop fire, right?

It should be pretty easy to drain, if all the mechanics still work.  Not sure about the doors, but I suppose we'll find out soon!

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 13, 2010, 03:18:22 pm »

I know doors stop magma, close enough, right? :D

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 15, 2010, 10:43:16 am »

Artendikes doesn't deserve second page.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 15, 2010, 01:18:36 pm »

Agreed.

This is a masterfully designed image of a windmill, a screw pump, magma, an axle, and dikes.  The windmill it turning, the screw pump is pumping, the magma is flowing, the dikes are filling, the magma is overflowing, the axle is burning, the gear assembly is melting, the windmill is deconstructing, the pump is deconstructing.  This engraving relates to the sever underestimation by mrobbyg of the space required for his dike filling pump stack and the subsequent catastrophic deconstruction of that stack.

Mrbobbyg was not pleased.  It's not that he was surprised that someone had managed to spew magma into Argentdikes again.  It's just that he was disappointed that his plans had not worked, and he couldn't figure out how to power his pumps without an axle.  He was no architect or mechanic, he was just a cook, but someone had to give the orders around here, so...

As he was pondering a new design, two members of the Bronze Fury came walking by the kitchen, hoping to scrounge a snack.  MrBobbyG gladly obliged, handing them each a slice of =cat spleen pot pie=.  As they munched, he overheard them talking about the noises coming from the second cavern, and how their scouting had revealed two forgotten beasts, a giant pile of mud, and some giant stone bird.  MrBobbyG thought about those for a second, glad to be safe in the kitchen.  Then a thought struck him.  "Hey, Urist" he called "Don't nether caps grow in the second cavern?"  Sarvesh looked at him and smirked.  "What do you need with nether caps cookie?  Your bed's cold enough as it is."  Urist nudget Mafol in the gut and chuckled, chomping his last piece of spleen and wandering off to go train.

MrBobbyG wasn't upset.  He was determined.  There were nether caps available.  There were forgotten beasts guarding them.  While even the most cursory knowledge of the history of Argentdikes should have informed him that this was a REALLY, REALLY, bad idea, MrBobbyG convinced Dariush to order the cavern breached, the trees harvested, and, if needed, the beasts killed.

"Dariush" he said, as the busy mayor hurried by to go fetch a drink, "wait a second."  Dariush, clearly peeved at being kept from his ale, looked at him with thin contempt.  "What is it cook?  Quickly, there's drinking to be done."   MrBobbyG cleared his throat "Well, I was thinking that we really should finish the dikes, and you know, seeing as how you're mayor, you could make it happen.  The liaison was really keen on seeing them built, and I was thinking that a mayor who got the dikes made would be a shoe in for Baron..."

Dariush looked at the cook and waved his hand "I don't have time for all this fanciful nonsense...the dikes will get filled when they get filled, and I'm not worried about not being chosen for Baron, I like gold and leather...what are they going to do, pick some slade lover?"

"It wouldn't take any of your time sir...just give me the authority to collect what I need and I'll make it happen..."

This is a masterful engraving of dwarves, the Forgotten Beast Nunur Ostramoz, the Forgotten Beast Siniti, and nether caps.  The dwarves are striking a menacing pose, the Forgotten Beast Nunur Ostramoz is spraying webs, the Forgotten Beast Siniti is breathing poision gas, the dwarves are retching, the dwarves are vomiting, the dwarves are striking down the Forgotten Beast Siniti, the dwarves are trapped in webs, the dwarves are striking down the Forgotten Beast Nunur Ostramoz.  The dwarves are cheering.  The dwarves are harvesting the nether caps.

*Edit*

We also had a possession that resulted in a kind of dumb floodgate or grate or something similarly useless, but then a kitten got killed so I decided to post the screenshot.

**Edit 2**

Crash.  Which would have sucked, except we got a better artifact, and TWO cats died!

***Edit 3***

Remember that Bull that bled to death in edit 2?  I just found out what happened to him.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:55:46 pm by mrbobbyg »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 15, 2010, 02:01:24 pm »

Why McDuck is mandating something? (Second edit screenie)
 Wasn't he a mad psycho that became an enemy of dwarfdom and was sealed for eternity in bunker which belonged to one of his victims?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:03:08 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 15, 2010, 03:00:34 pm »

Why McDuck is mandating something? (Second edit screenie)
 Wasn't he a mad psycho that became an enemy of dwarfdom and was sealed for eternity in bunker which belonged to one of his victims?

I have no idea why or how he is doing it, yet he is.  I meet them, because he terrifies me.

*Edit*

I have nearly completed filling the dikes with magma.  The outer dike is nearly full, and work on the inner dike commences apace.

Wait, what do you mean there's no inner dike...

**PHEW**

That was a turn.  The dikes are nearly full.  filling the inner dike was an accident, because I didn't realize that magma will skate on top of 7/7 magma as opposed to making the bottom z level flow faster.  The lever in the main courtyard should disengage the gear assembly and stop the nethercap axle from powering the screw pump. (nethercap is so awesome when magma is involved.  It's wood!  THAT WILL NOT BURN!)  Also, there are two pumps in the outer dike that refuse to deconstruct in a great bonfire.  This upset me greatly.

I can't imagine why, but no migrants came...something about a deathtrap?

The Bronze Fury is legendary now, because I trained them in a danger room.  If that offends your sensibilities, take 2 magma and call me in the morning.  I stopped the danger aspect of the danger room though, because 2 babies died and it was having a negative impact on troop morale.

Here is the save:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3565
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:50:37 pm by mrbobbyg »

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 15, 2010, 04:06:12 pm »

Tsarwash, yer up!

Zeocin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 15, 2010, 04:53:32 pm »

Those migrants just don't know how to appreciate a good MAGMA dike when they see one.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 15, 2010, 04:54:08 pm »

By "see" do you mean "fall in?"
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 76