Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 210711 times)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - We have ghosts! - (31.18) (Succession)
« Reply #435 on: January 09, 2011, 10:38:16 am »

Aha, ahahahhaaaaa... oh my god I have to get in on this. Dorf me (female dorf, nicknamed Lielac, non-military please) and add me to the list?

You're on the list!
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 09, 2011, 05:39:35 pm »

Well, Ardentdikes is as quiet as an elven brain... I hope it doesn't stay like this for too long...

As I said before, while we restocked the fortress, I finished the touches on the underground axe temple:

Now it is ready for the engraving, only accomplished engravers will be permitted access to the temple for now.

I finished my tomb! it is small and made with non-expensive materials, but I always dreamed with being forever submerged in magma.
And it BLARGHh!!

[The handwriting suddenly changes...]

I guess I will have to continue from here, the last major was a dumb, narcissistic fool! I saw a group of dwarves dying of internal rotting along with Maquox, and I panicked for a moment... could the plague that almost eradicated the fort have returned? I quickly assembled the medical dwarves and set off to inspect the rest.

The conclusions were alleviating: These were random rots caused by past wounds which were not treated properly.
Anyway... the tomb of that Dorfass...

He even managed to trap a live kid INSIDE his tomb! how lucky were we that the enemies didn't attack while he managed the fort...

Anyway... not much to do, the conditions for infants in the fort are bordering on the indwarven!

We seem to be needing a kindergarten or something... dwarves don't seem to be capable of saving their offspring.

Anyway, there were several things to fix which had not yet been tackled properly. I'll just give you a quick review of these things.

I deconstructed the axle feeding this pump, so as to avoid any more magma spilling, we can't just waste it like that, the elves or gobbos might want some later...

Maquox wanted to make yet another useless building, but instead of deconstructing it, I decided to reuse it as an office apartment for the Broker, Bookkeeper, etc. Some use must be found to all these stupid constructions.

Some further good news: If a strong, venomous monster appeared in the depths, it wouldn't be capable of attacking the fort.
Some further bad news: More Giant, venomous critters!

What the fuck is a feathered snail!?

Well anyway... Autumn is ending now, I have managed to almost finish another level of the giant obsidian-cast of a tower... though I see no use for that in the short run at least...

Ardentdikes continues to be a calm, peaceful, heavenly, OH MY GOD HOW ON EAR....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't you just love magma-baked cookies?

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 09, 2011, 10:57:25 pm »

I have just spent the past three days reading and rereading this entire saga... Hall of legends by far. Someone should compile all of the actual fortress posts into a single long story, kinda like what was done with boatmurdered. and with the ghosts, this is just awesome
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 10, 2011, 02:14:54 pm »

I watched the horizon... there used to be trees, rocks, animals. Now I could see none of that... Hordes of green bad-asses were approaching the fort from all sides.

SOUND THE ALARM!

I love when ambushers come in at the wrong right time...

turns quickly to:

Priceless, and this, alongside some doors, also buys time for our outside-working dwarves to quickly (in dwarven terms of course) come inside the fortress.

As I said, bid farewell to doors:

But don't panic just yet, even in the worst of dangers, one can always find the light of divine blessing:

Rejoice with me.

---------------------------------------

With this visit from the vile forces of darkness... I re-examined the map of our fortress, and found out two important vulnerabilities and a very interesting landscape mark:

Firstly, the old entrance to Lesser Ardentdikes (now closed) included the intricate working of pressure plates to operate floor hatches. A very nice solution to keep those nasty monsters away from the fortress... but not all that useful when building destroyers come along... specially if the holes under the hatches are right above the Dormitories!

Luckily for us, these highly trained, "intelligent", warriors know not of the hidden powers of "jump". Had they practiced this ancient technique, we would be doomed (again).

Secondly: Dariush has been very concerned on the finishing of his project. Well, now I give my congratulations to each and every ruler of Ardentdikes who has NOT advanced it...
I will elaborate:

Trolls broke yet another door... this one was holding off the magma pump of the tower used to cleanse/drown Ardentdikes in magma:

As you can see they also got rid of the windmills. But this is all just a nuisance, please watch what happens just a bit north from here:

Yep, they now have a good place from where to shoot and kill dwarves on the interior of the walls, but had we advanced the project JUST ONE MORE LEVEL [ie: just a bit] trolls and Gobbos would be cooking baby dwarves just now.

------------------------------------------------------

Now... to sweeten up things a bit, I'll confess I just found this landmark, and I will take the liberty of calling it "The Llama"

It is located on the North-western edge of the map, and I think we could make something out of it, it must be a message from Armok!

------------------------------------------------------

To conclude, I will tell you that I find it very improbable that our warriors can take up the enemy army, so I will just close up until we figure out a way to move the enemies to a weapon-trap arena or something.
Best regards.

Oh, I forgot to mention, no dwarves were left outside the fortress, but one peeked a little too far and was impaled by a few arrows, and another one died naturally of severe bleeding due to an infection.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:17:24 pm by Maquox »

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 10, 2011, 02:36:31 pm »

Excellent!

All hail the Llama of Armok!
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 10, 2011, 05:12:35 pm »

Strangely enough, when I finished assigning inside work to the dwarves, hoping for a year-long lock-down at best. Each and every invader went back to wherever it is they came from. I was intrigued as to why on earth they would do that...

Yet I wasn't gonna go after the answer... so I just opened up and reassigned outside labour to the engravers, woodcutter, masons, etc.

Last month before the end of the year and I have clear ideas of what to finish first. I'll seal off the old entrance to Lesser Ardentdikes correctly, so as to avoid unexpected visitors later. I also made amends to the possible vulnerability involving Dariush's Project, it is now safe to continue it's construction, and I just managed to finish another level of it:

--------------------------------------------------

Not much more to say really, we have a new artifact:

Thank god our gold is being put to good use...
The axe Temple was too big to finish it's engraving in time, but it is done to about half it's surface:

That is all, my friends.
Stock control:

May Armok bless the next ruler, I'm out of duty, can't stand this dumb, smelly dudes anyway...

--------------------------------------------------

OOC: Sorry for the delay(s) guys, a mixture of real life, some crashes and a cute, lovely FPS during a siege were hard to fight at the same time. May your years have started nicely :)

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 10, 2011, 07:38:10 pm »

Alright, Aravin is next

also we really need to recruit more players as the list is running short.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 10, 2011, 07:38:45 pm »

I'll Join!  :D
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

Maquox

• Bay Watcher
  • Pump Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 11, 2011, 01:46:52 am »

Silly me, forgot the save...
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3674

please try Stonesense, I'd like to see how the axe temple looks on 3D :)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 12, 2011, 07:30:38 am »

Huzzah Axe Temple!

All righty, I sent Aravin a PM.

Doors stop fire, right?

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 12, 2011, 06:34:02 pm »

Alrighty, I'd like to sign up for a turn, as soon as I know what the fps is :D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Zeocin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 12, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »

Silly me, forgot the save...
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3674

please try Stonesense, I'd like to see how the axe temple looks on 3D :)

I, too, would love to see, as well as a full map of the complex, if possible. Or at least the level that best shows off the MAGMA dike :3.

Also, glad to see things are as wonderful here as always. <insert evil laugh>

digs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 14, 2011, 01:45:45 am »

epic thread.

The link to the embark seems broken in the first post or I can't figure it out.  Is there anyway of getting the initial save file or map so I can use this awesome site as well?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:58:35 am by digs »

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 14, 2011, 07:39:38 am »

epic thread.

The link to the embark seems broken in the first post or I can't figure it out.  Is there anyway of getting the initial save file or map so I can use this awesome site as well?

Well that's fixed, but I don't know that the seed will work in 31.18.

Also, if we don't get a reply from Aravin soon it's on to Graeldragon.

Doors stop fire, right?

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 14, 2011, 10:02:46 am »

I think we'll give Aravin another day before moving on to GraelDragon
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 76