Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Rice - What to put on the stuff.  (Read 30157 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rice - What to put on the stuff.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 12:31:14 am »

Everything we eat has rice. Rice is like, the default side dish for anything. Like, how many peoples have a piece of steak and half the plate will be fries? Well, in our case, half the plate is rice. The other half can be a steak, or some sort of casserole, maybe chicken a la something. With boiled potatoes, or egg. Potato puree and rice and fried egg tastes good, make sure the yolk is runny. If you can get yellow potatoes, you can mash them and mix em with the rice and add some olive oil to the mix, it's delicious. Or you could saute small pieces of meat with fries, slices of onion and tomatoes, again with a side of rice. You can get like a cream of champignons or asparagus (that you can get in the supermarket to make soup), only instead do it with little water so it's less "liquid" and pour it on top of chicken and potatoes. And a side of rice.
Anything you can eat, eat it with a side order of rice. It goes with everything.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 12:37:49 am »

Mongolian beef? I've only had it once or twice, but I recall the general taste, so if it's dark brown and Chinese, it was probably a mixture of soy sauce, rice wine, sugar and either hoisin, oyster, or black bean...

Eh, googling doesn't give a conclusive answer. Got a few results for hoisin sauce and a few for black bean, but mostly they were make-it-yourself sauces. You ought to pick up a tiny thing of black bean/hoisin/oyster though, cooking with any of them is usually pretty delicious with most stir-fry. Look up any mongolian beef recipe and give it a shot. Don't be thrown off by the sugar requirement; a lot of asian cuisine uses it in their sauces I've noticed.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 12:44:33 am »

I'm pretty sure that chili and rice is tough to do, unless there's little enough rice so it's just part of the chili.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 02:41:06 am »

Chili and rice is easy to do and is delicious. Just pour the stuff over the Rice like spaghetti and it works fine. You do need to saturate the rice to make good chili, but it works.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 03:17:07 am »

a.) Tuna and Cheese
b.) Cheese
c.) Soy Sauce
d.) Cheese and Soy Sauce

Lol, wtf? On that list only soy sauce fits, and you need the right type too. There's a lot of "cooking" soy sauces which go horribly with it. I prefer some of the sweeter Indonesian/Malaysian soy sauces, the fancy Japanese ones taste poor. Cheese, tuna goes better with pasta. Tomato does go OK with rice, but you need a bit of cooking skill to do it.

Here's the first recipe I learned while at college:
1. Chop up a small bit of onion and garlic.
2. Put some oil in a pan, just enough not to make stuff stick. Or butter.
3. Fry up the onion and garlic until it's all roasted.
4. Toss in some steamed rice.
5. Enjoy.

Tastes great with fried fish, chicken, beef, etc too. It's the base of a lot of Malaysian recipes too.. you can go on and experiment from that.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2010, 04:10:49 am »

Cheese + Rice = Best.
The cheese melts into a layer of cheese goodness. Nom.

Soy Sauce + Cheese isn't so good though.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2010, 05:23:28 am »

I jsut muicrowave some leftover rice, then add a bit of soy sauce (Lee kum kee) and sweet chilli (Mae ploy). It works great, but a) I don't know if those brands appear in the US, and b) other brands probably work fine.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 07:23:11 am »

Rice is miracle food.

One chicken wing goes a long way with rice.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 07:24:59 am »

And depending on the grain, you can eat it with your hands.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 08:42:27 am »

Make chicken rizzotto. Dice chicken breast and fry it in a pot with a bit of butter, onion and seasonal vegetables for 5-10 minutes. Add water and rice, and cook it for half an hour or so. Use sweet paprika to give it a nice colour, or hot paprika if you prefer it spicy.

Or cook rice in milk instead of water, adding a fair bit of sugar, for a delicious desert.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 08:51:44 am »

Make chicken rizzotto. Dice chicken breast and fry it in a pot with a bit of butter, onion and seasonal vegetables for 5-10 minutes. Add water and rice, and cook it for half an hour or so.

Lol, I think that was the recipe I gave. I just call it butter fried rice with chicken.

Oh, plus if you're lazy, fry an egg and toss some rice with it. Tastes nice. Add garlic or soy sauce if you feel like it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 09:19:50 am »

Your recipe implied that you cook the meat separately from the rice, mine cooks them together so rice picks up the chicken flavour.

Yeah, it's a lame excuse for not reading the whole thread :-[
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 09:23:18 am »

Seriously? That`s a nobrainer. It proves once again that only we germans know how to cook. :P

You know that partly burned fat stuff left in your frying pan after you cooked some meat? Pour it over the rice. It really tastes like heaven.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 09:34:26 am »

Seriously? That`s a nobrainer. It proves once again that only we germans know how to cook. :P
You did not create Bulgogi, and thus what you said is invalid.

Best meat you could ever eat that stuff.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 09:56:54 am »

You Korean Duke?

As an aside, I second kimchi as an excellent combination with rice. If you're really enthusiastic, you could make up a big bowl of bibimbap, though I personally just go out to a restaurant if I want that. Still an awesome rice dish.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10