Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Magma Desalination Still

(1/4) > >>

Wang Commander:
Magma Desalination Still takes in saltwater from one pipe, outputs freshwater from the other, needs to operate on magma.  In this example a salty body of water is fed into the still via gravity for continuous operation, and output the same way from a pipe to a lower reservoir.code:  
Side View:###SSSSSSSSS
#####SSSSSSS
########SSSS
##########=#
#######====#
#######=####
#######=####
      =   #
    TTT== #
MMMMMM###=##
MMM######=##
#######  W #
#######WWWW#
#######WWWW#Key:
T = Magma Desalination Still
S = Saltwater
M = Magma
W = Freshwater
# = Rock
= = pipe

Could also be used with a normal fueled still like we discussed, given a new fueling system, otherwise I guess it would have to be done via barrels or something, using a charcoal/coke per barrel desalinated.[ May 27, 2007: Message edited by: Wang Commander ]

Yag Alone:
Nice stuff, but dwarves have no use for fresh water... Alcohol + lack of personnal hygiena = dwarves  :p

TotalPigeon:
Ah, but there are (were?) speculations as to alcohol needing freshwater in the next update. Not that I'd be inclined to distill salt water to get fresh water, thats just mad. We should have a nice large freshwater body in the mountain somewhere, easily capable of supporting any crazy alcohol brewing tendencies.

Tamren:
Ah, you SHOULD but what if you do not?Its entirely reasonable to think that it might run out or be insufficient to your needs. You would have to rely on water from other sources, i dont think dwarves are advanced enough for water treatment plants though.On the other hand, what if you need salt and you have yet to come across salt deposits? salt is used for a lot, food and food preservation for one. An easy way to get some is to boil seawater like the vikings did but it would also be a useful byproduct of that still.Just some more food for thought  :)

TotalPigeon:
Pah! Salt? Who uses salt when they can create an area outside of time itself, the all preserving food stockpile?OMG. I just had a killer thought for a challenge game. No food stockpiles. Well maybe for stuff which wouldn't go off irl, like sugar or syrup, but none for crops or prepared food or meat. THAT would be a bitch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version