Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decoupling Time  (Read 852 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Decoupling Time
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:32:05 pm »

In DFTalk 20 (I think), Toady said that one issue involved in fortress un/retirement is that time jumps to the beginning of the next year without advancing the world or resolving army situations, etc., which leads to weird situations.

As odd as it may be to suggest a change to a release that isn't actually here yet, what if fortresses weren't forced to begin on the first day of spring?

I suppose the real suggestion here is allowing the world to simulate outside of a play mode, from the main menu, which is much more feasible with the upcoming changes to the world making them more active and alive.

Once you generate your world, you could advance time as you please (but only in a forward direction, obviously) and start a fortress/adventure on any day you wish. When you die/retire, you'll simply go back to the main menu and start again from the day you left off.

The negatives here would involve having to wait for tween-game simulation, which could be a significant amount of time (similar in scale to worldgen itself), but the positives would be a much more seamless chronology for the DF world. Plus, challenge gamers could start a fort in winter for the heck of it, if they want.

Perhaps it could do what adventure mode does, and advance time a couple of weeks after you die/retire, to avoid oddness such as reclaiming a fort on the same day you lost it, but just have that timeskip be an actual world simulation period rather than just advancing the date arbitrarily.

Anyway, just a thought. I think it would be a compelling game mechanic, and it would bring a certain amount of finality to your actions, and make the forward march of time much more apparent and 'real' (although I'm sure the upcoming release will help a lot with that.) You wouldn't be losing the ability to start fortresses on Day 1 of a year, you simply have to turn the dial beforehand.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Decoupling Time
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:14:27 pm »

Once post-worldgen worldgen is fully implemented, I put my full support behind this idea. (Which...may have been suggested before...)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decoupling Time
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:37:04 am »

Certainly worthy of discussion. The way that it's described in the OP seems a bit uhhhhh...... scary in some ways but, such a system will end up being a must. It would be best to be able to run world gen during embark so that you can inch time ahead or even take a full quantum leap so that you can start at particular time of year or just accelerate things to see how things that you have done will potentially effect things. This new generation period would automatically dump two maps, a before and after, so that you'll have a pair of snapshots that can be used later. On top of this, simply selecting a world to use would advance time a few weeks or months to allow for the looting/occupying of an abandoned site. Oh and Toady "It would be a pain in the ass." is no reason not to give such a thing a shot.
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)