Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Urban Architecture and Design

(1/3) > >>

Xombie:
quote:perhaps organizing the building placement better
The way i see it in future...Urban architecture:
1)City has a main street, smaller streets connected to it.
2)Buildings organized in blocks.
3)Shops closer to city center, houses closer to perimeter.
4)Each willage and town shouln`t contain each and every kind of shop. Big cities has everything, perhaps 2 of same shop.
5)Actual difference in size. Design improvements:
1)Well. useful to drink or fill waterskin.
2)Fountain. in larger cities. same use. size is 2x2 or 3x3.
3)Statue. can be generated to depict some world gen events. like victory in war, death of someone heroic or member of royal family, megabeast defeat etc. details written on it.
4)Square. meeting area and city center. statues and/or fountains here.
5)Marketplace. used like trade depots. (when caravan arc implemented, i think.)
6)Graveyard. dead historical figures buried here(if anyone left to do it). placed far from everything and connected by road.
N)More interesting castle design.
code:
 █■■■■■■■■■■■▌
 ▌..........>▌
 ▌...........▌
 ▌...........▌
 █■■■..■..■■■▌
█■▌...........█■▌Ω.....Ω
▌<...■.....■....▌.......
▌...............▌■......
▌╘......................
▌...............▌■.....
▌<...■.....■....▌.......
█■▌...........█■▌Ω.....Ω
 █■■■..■..■■■▌
 ▌...........▌
 ▌...........▌
 ▌..........>▌
 █■■■■■■■■■■■▌

Krash:
All these are great ideas.  Id like to see moats and walls (as well as other kinds of defences) that reflect the resources, defensive needs and general mindsets of the populaces that build them.  A warlike civ threathened by goblins would put a lot of effort into protection, while a relatively safe civ would not.  Rich cities could afford extensive fortifications, while poor/small ones whould have to settle for maybe just a barricade with a ditch or a simple stone wall.It would be great also to see how old a ruined city by it's state of disrepair.And while I'm at it; rivers coursing through cities (people like running water for trade) would be nice, with bridges and all.  Perhaps a port if the city is next to the sea or a larger waterway.Unfortunately, as fun as this sounds, it feels like this might take a while to implement.

Neonivek:
quote: 4)Each willage and town shouln`t contain each and every kind of shop. Big cities has everything, perhaps 2 of same shop While I do agree this is realistic... however shops are a HUGE pain as it is without needing to filter through every town just for the chance that the proper shop would be there.Each shop also carries such a few number of items that I often find myself going around the world for a high quality set of armor and still don't find enough items for the set.

Normandy:
There seriously needs to be an 'ask around' option to find out what is where and, in the case of shops, what they sell (including specific items, if you're lucky). And custom order shops (DF has far too modern of an economic system, which is based off of a middle class. In the medieval period, chances are you got your armor by ordering it from the armorer and waiting a while, rather than waltzing on into the neighborhood store and seeing if there was any in stock).One question is how would this apply to dwarven/goblin/elven cities? Would they follow the same rules of urban design?

Mel_Vixen:
Hmm i dont think a city should look planned. I dont know exactly how you build you citys in The US but here in old Europe a city has grown within a long time and was sometimes realy Chaotic. Most citys here have one or two mayor marketplaces (huge unbuild places not Walmart) and dozen of wells scatteret over the entire city.On the other hand for a Dwarfen Overground civ with a well planed city would be awesome.[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version