Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reading Things Literally  (Read 3317 times)

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Things Literally
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 10:43:58 pm »

Anything related to adventure mode or SCIENCE!

Also to a lesser degree: using low quality weapon traps, prisoner and waterfalls to make temples to Armok... Serated disc traps to 'extract' extra resources from creatures... "small animal dissection"... unfortunate accidents... creature based computations or repeaters... using kittens to explore the caverns... using puppies to detect intruders... injuring dorfs to get the doctors to try and diagnose them again... injuring dorfs to 'power level' your doctors... self destruct levers... player attitudes toward elves in general... draining the ocean into an aquifer in order to capture all life within it... mass environmental destruction... keeping several hundred animals in one cage, or one pit/pond, bonus points for captured goblins and elves as well... flooding the world with magma... phasing creatures out of space and time... using goblin prisoner to train the army... gladiator arenas... fell moods... designing fortresses around generating fell moods... sentient creature zoos... capturing tentacle demons for use on enemies... the way creatures used to step onto the map and then melt... embarking onto human towns, deconstructing their houses for wood and then using them as combat decoys... the aftermath of a "beware its deadly X" forgotten beast... suicidal babies... flowing water based parent/child filters... attempting to improve FPS... using animals as cushions to catch falling creatures... anything involving fire... "dwarven liposuction" ( that exploit where you melt off all your fat in controlled fashion to make yourself heat resistant)... eugenics... tantrum spirals... loyalty cascades... pet disposal hallways... child disposal hallways... weaponized carp... boatmurdered... headshoots...

Thats all I can think of right now  :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:53:41 pm by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »

Goblin Fortress, Succubus Mod, the ongoing raging argument for or against poop, and of course, my personal favorite, the competition to see who could come up with the cruelest methods of breeding elves just to torture them for all eternity.
Not to steal a thread, but can you point me to the Succubus Mod? I can't seem to find it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 11:57:08 pm »

Well, one could say that we are only figuratively moving dwarves about to do terrible things to the world; literally speaking, we're typing on a keyboard to flip some bits on a hard drive. Those bits represent ascii smiley faces, which represent dwarves, but if you were to point to that smiley face and say "I am literally pointing at a dwarf right now" you would be wrong. Unless there's a dwarf hiding behind your monitor, which would honestly be pretty scary, and you should probably see to that situation before continuing this internet semantics debate.
has anyone seen that stargate atlantis episode where they think there playing a game but its actualy controlling 2 vilages hmmmmmmm :D (need to impliment this into df somehow)
That was an awesome episode.
Definately one of the best SG:A episodes (By the way, the title of that episode is "The Game." I think they lost.). The only one which surpassed it IMO was the wraith + earth humans + space wanderer humans vs replicators space battle, due to the awesomeness which was the CGI effects of that episode.

Re-railing, tantrum spirals.
"So yeah, after the goblins got in and slowly beat a few dwarves with maces until they bled to death, the corpses were left to rot in the dining hall. Due to this, the other dwarves became psychotically depressed. Half of them tried to kill themselves by throwing themselves down the stairway, while the other half went into homicidal rages and began tearing one another limb from limb with their bare hands. This went on for an entire year."
At which point the person to which you are talking is either horrified beyond belief or extremely interested in trying for themselves.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:58:48 pm by alway »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 08:42:12 am »

At which point the person to which you are talking is either horrified beyond belief or extremely interested in trying for themselves.
Incidentally, I just talked to a highschool friend of mine about dwarf fortress because she had brought up playing a game about farming that wasn't a Harvest Moon, and mentioned that you could purchase and then kill and eat cats.

I went on to talk about kitten genocides (including tossing kittens into HFS to see of they could out-reproduce the HFS's ability to kill them), as well as mermaid infant bone factories, and such, and she suddenly became very interested in the game, if unlikely to play it because she tends to balk from the "too complex" games that I like.

I also told my mother about Boatmurdered and how it was destroyed by a single monarch butterfly getting stuck in a door, allowing the dwarves to rush out and set themselves on fire by grabbing random things, and she started laughing, although I've as yet kept the "genocide for fun and profit" aspect of the game close to my chest.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 12:48:58 pm »

When selecting anecdotes about DF to tell my wife, I pretty much ONLY pick the particularly disturbing ones, because they're funny.

Last night:
"Remember that bookkeeper I told you about that killed the dwarf and made him into an amulet?  Yea she got really pissed off and killed four of my other dwarves, including my head doctor, mostly by beheading with a mining pick.  It's not all bad though, she killed the cheese maker that keeps putting dwarves in the hospital too.  Oh, and a donkey."

I do tend to omit the kitten killing though, I don't think she'd be happy about that.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 01:03:55 pm »

I do tend to omit the kitten killing though, I don't think she'd be happy about that.

Throwing cages full of kittens into red-hot lava is the premeditated cruelty that give DF it's "edgy" feel...

;)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 03:17:22 pm »

I believe some one would be horrified with the new thread involving implementation of genitalia.
Probably one of the those moral guardian types.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 03:28:33 pm »

I believe some one would be horrified with the new thread involving implementation of genitalia.

For some bizzare reason, that one was locked that after it turned into an argument about the ESRB instead of being about slapping people with Bobbitted elf penis.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 08:04:41 pm »

???
Where?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 08:05:45 pm »

???
Where?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62904.0

Of course, it's not that new, it's already locked.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]