Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561367 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1005 on: August 27, 2010, 04:34:41 pm »

Thanks again Toady for answering our questions.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 27, 2010, 06:17:11 pm »

Ooops Neonivek is right we forgot to thank your for the last answers so "Thank you toady!"

I think that worlds might need a new map exportoption were you can only see the settlements without the fields and stuff.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 27, 2010, 07:25:14 pm »

wot?! when?
edit
....ah four pages back. sry, toady, can't see the posts through the walls of text that tend to git posted 'roud 'ere parts.
We really do appreciate all you share...what is that called feedforward? :p 

also: yeah, the roads etcetera really mess up the landscape. (as did the extreme riverviews uploaded in recent dev, cool as they are.)

edit sunday 29th:
Toady. I read on the devpage you have a problem with conquests taking forever because farms are considered equally as a site and only a single site can be conquered per year by a nation.
Assuming sites have subcategories, why not interpolate invasion routes from "garrisoned-site A" to "main site-B" and declare all villages trampled over razed?
(e.g. only consider main population sites, those with a significant military as valid targets, not subsidiary sites, like farms. Alternatively, farms are subsidiary to a city-site and could change ownership with that site.)

Another goal would be to intercept any invasions, before they reach their target.

Looking forward to how you will actually solve this issue. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:03:20 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 29, 2010, 11:05:49 am »

The world map in DF is a thing of beauty. Toady even uses it as the background for the website. I'm concerned that covering it all up with villages is a bad change. Would it be possible to only display villages over a certain importance threshold? I think atmosphere is a really important thing in DF. It's the map that draws you in and makes you want to explore the world.

Otherwise, the DF site background would be forever out of date and not replacable because a whole map filled with # is kinda ugly and not suitable for use as decoration.

PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 29, 2010, 11:10:10 am »

The world map in DF is a thing of beauty. Toady even uses it as the background for the website. I'm concerned that covering it all up with villages is a bad change. Would it be possible to only display villages over a certain importance threshold? I think atmosphere is a really important thing in DF. It's the map that draws you in and makes you want to explore the world.

Otherwise, the DF site background would be forever out of date and not replacable because a whole map filled with # is kinda ugly and not suitable for use as decoration.

In a previous devlog, he mentioned them as being highlighted, so I think you'll be able to turn them off.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 29, 2010, 01:09:07 pm »

In a previous devlog, he mentioned them as being highlighted, so I think you'll be able to turn them off.
I interpreted that as that he'd let the game display them in order specifically to highlight the situation to us, without the implication that we'd have access to that sort of display in the release version.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 29, 2010, 01:10:25 pm »

I interpreted that as that he'd let the game display them in order specifically to highlight the situation to us, without the implication that we'd have access to that sort of display in the release version.

That was what I got out of it too.  I kinda doubt we'll have access to it.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1012 on: August 30, 2010, 07:40:52 pm »

Has noone posted in a day, or is my internet broken?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 30, 2010, 08:31:55 pm »

No one has posted in a day. Toady is putting the finishing touches on entity populations, which is a pretty well explored idea, and he hasn't really had anything interesting to report, so there's not much to discuss here.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:36 pm »

there's not much to discuss here.

Unless we go wildly off topic, of course.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 31, 2010, 12:25:08 am »

Well I guess I could ask a question to Toady but I can never remember what I previously asked.

Toady when armies, adventurer groups, and other such organisations finally can attack single units in unison (Megabeasts for example) do you forsee Megabeasts getting stronger, weaker, the same, or will they have the ability to out manuver them so to speak?

Toady in the future will we see Armies taking other towns without the total destruction of the opposition? Right now as long as one person is barely defending the town an army no matter how large cannot take it.

Also as a POSSIBLE suggestion for your Overkill problem you could have a Timespan bar that is adjusted for destructive power (How easy it is to do the action), Stamina (How much you can do the action), and speed (How long it takes to do something else). A limiter to how many things one creature can do within a timespan.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 01, 2010, 06:54:28 am »

The new symbols of today's dev log are certainly much better. They blend in nicely and still make sense.

I do wonder what impact weekly events will have on world-gen, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1017 on: September 01, 2010, 07:59:57 am »

I think we're going to need to start seeing separate political and topographical maps. That, or toady implements a simple GIS so we can choose which layers and at which scale to display them.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:20 am »

Toady, for the rivers issue, would it be possible to simply turn the field markers blue in the areas where they cover up rivers?

That would let you know that there was water there while still allowing you to see that it was developed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:42:11 pm by Skid »
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 01, 2010, 09:56:02 am »

Hey Toady, do you think we'll have some proper towns to visit in the release after this upcoming one?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 342