Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561771 times)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1170 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:07 am »

And thats worldgen time. You only do that very infrequently, so it taking even an hour or two isn't a big deal. Remember, the end goal is that you don't gen new worlds every game, but keep re-using the same one.

That'd be great if we were at that end goal already, but in the actual world, you need to generate multiple worlds to find good sites, especially if you're picky and want something rare, like a site with easy-accessible magma and flux. The lack of a functioning site finder makes this particularly annoying.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: September 16, 2010, 10:06:21 am »

I doubt the current level of sprawl is intentional. Given a bit of tuning of the algorithms, we'll probably be back to something more reasonable.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 16, 2010, 10:13:18 am »

just like the current level of minerals isn't intentional >_>

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 17, 2010, 02:19:56 am »

Allegedly.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: September 17, 2010, 03:12:51 am »

I kind of like the sprawl as is myself, although it should be easily adjustable in worldgen (although I imagine upping savagery or other constraints on civilization placement will affect it as well) without necessarily having to start off in a young world.

In general, if civilizations have been expanding over the world for 1,050 years or more I figure most of the good sites have already been settled leaving only the most untamable wildernesses for future expansion...you'll have to make do with what's still left, or, later once we've got a macro-level military take it over from another civilization with ensuing consequences.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1175 on: September 17, 2010, 03:36:17 am »

It seems that humans can immigrate to your fort in 31.13. Whoa.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 17, 2010, 04:16:07 am »

Hmm, the amount of minerals isn't meant to be intentional? So in a 10m^3 space I'm not meant to have enough iron ore to make 10 large iron statues? The amount of metals in this game is ridiculous. I've never had any problems at all finding any iron ore.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 17, 2010, 04:31:16 am »

I doubt the current level of sprawl is intentional. Given a bit of tuning of the algorithms, we'll probably be back to something more reasonable.
What's unreasonable about the current level of sprawl?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 17, 2010, 06:18:41 am »

+1

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 17, 2010, 08:51:21 am »

And thats worldgen time. You only do that very infrequently, so it taking even an hour or two isn't a big deal. Remember, the end goal is that you don't gen new worlds every game, but keep re-using the same one.

That'd be great if we were at that end goal already, but in the actual world, you need to generate multiple worlds to find good sites, especially if you're picky and want something rare, like a site with easy-accessible magma and flux. The lack of a functioning site finder makes this particularly annoying.

Yes, but we are in the middle of a construction project.  I agree with sasQuatch.  At some point, we'll have to have some 'inconveniences'.  I don't think it's realistic to expect Toady to work toward implementing end goals AND make it perfectly fun all the way through the process as well.  So, if one of the end goals is having a longer worldgen, which is not unreasonable, then we should expect worldgens to take longer and longer as Toady 'constructs' DF.  Of course, I could just be flapping my dwarven-grog-numbed limps.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 17, 2010, 09:54:34 am »

Maybe I WANT a new world infrequently, but it generally takes me a couple dozen tries to get a fort I want. And I like large worlds.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 17, 2010, 12:24:02 pm »

Then lower your standards.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 17, 2010, 01:58:03 pm »

To be fair, sprawl = claimed teritory for given civilization. This is probably why embark option is turned off. Of course, if even your own civilization have unembarkable sprawl, cause of this bug must be more complicated.

I would propose this to fix it:
  • Near term: just much, much slower sprawl.
  • Far term - implementing diseases and plagues that will sometime kill off half of nearby civs. Of course, for DF player, it will be hilarious. Plagues erupt more often within proper spheres (deformity, diseases, death etc). Nice reason to war between entities that normally does not fight between themselves BTW!
  • Embarking on sprawl: allowable, but in not your civ, then you have permament war with civ that controls this territory. Of course, before embark program will warn about it. Another nice way to adjust difficulty level! Bored with DF? Embark next to human village, kill off these pesky peasants and be ready to ambushes from beginning and sieges as soon as you hit 80.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 17, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »

How do I get them to do that!?
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 17, 2010, 02:20:40 pm »

How do I get them to do that!?

Happens when a Dwarf takesover a human town i think. This is far more likely now with the exploding population.

To be fair, sprawl = claimed teritory for given civilization. This is probably why embark option is turned off. Of course, if even your own civilization have unembarkable sprawl, cause of this bug must be more complicated.

[...]

IIrc i did read a bugreport on the release thread that says that you cant embark on fields etc. that belong to ruins/abandoned villages. Wild sprawl wasnt and claiming of land wasnt that uncommon thought back then. The people hadnt a so big nationality thinkage then we today and the orders between to countrys werent that well defined in reality then on paper.

I say you should be able to embark on forreign land with some consequences like paying taxes or whatever. Depending on the distance to strategic or economical stuff the consequences could differ. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 342