Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561673 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1185 on: September 17, 2010, 02:58:19 pm »

While I can understand the concept of creating a new settlement on foreign land in exchange for taxes, the idea of creating a settlement on top of an existing foreign one is and has always been ridiculous. I'm glad the ability has been removed.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:02 pm »

While I can understand the concept of creating a new settlement on foreign land in exchange for taxes, the idea of creating a settlement on top of an existing foreign one is and has always been ridiculous. I'm glad the ability has been removed.

Just because something's rediculous and doesn't make any sense doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to do it if we want to. Did you forget what game we're playing?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:05:57 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 17, 2010, 03:10:58 pm »

I hope embarking almost anywhere comes back because there is plenty of land that is generated I'd like to be able to build on, regardless of which entity in game owns it.
If they don't like me setting up fort on their land maybe they should send an army to come take it back instead of having the magical can't embark here faeries deal with it.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 17, 2010, 03:28:15 pm »

Why does it make sense that a dwarven civ would even consider sending out an undefended 7-dwarf embark party deep into foreign territory, to have them mine out the local people's farm plots? Isn't that the kind of thing that would be met with prompt, forceful response, even before the wagon arrives at it's destination?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 17, 2010, 03:35:58 pm »

Why does it make sense that a dwarven civ would even consider sending out an undefended 7-dwarf embark party deep into foreign territory, to have them mine out the local people's farm plots? Isn't that the kind of thing that would be met with prompt, forceful response, even before the wagon arrives at it's destination?

I would not be at all surprised if this type of situation gets folded into the starting scenarios arc. Once entities are more defined and embarks are more flexible, then choosing to embark on foreign soil will likely precipitate wars, with appropriate warnings and supplies.

I don't feel like I communicated that well, hopefully somebody gets the direction of my meaning.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: September 17, 2010, 04:57:04 pm »

Not if they don't know the dwarves are coming. 7 seems like a good number for a covert team.

Word of the day: Sabotage.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 17, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »

Why does it need to makes sense?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 17, 2010, 06:56:45 pm »

Ironically, it needs to because this is DF. I know it sounds strange, but everything that does not make sense is going to be replaced eventually with a system that does.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1193 on: September 17, 2010, 07:02:45 pm »

... I agree with sasQuatch.
Guilty as charged.

I think that the reasons to embark on farms (controlled or otherwise) are valid. Of course, all of the consequences aren't implemented yet, and we've seen what happens when details are added in later after people get used to having their way with things.

At this point though, it should be either/or: there is less sprawl (so we have options on where to play), or sprawl shouldn't prevent embark (concerns aside).
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 17, 2010, 10:24:17 pm »

Why must the dwarves embark above ground in the foreign nation? Maybe they traveled through the caverns to setup below them undetected. I've always thought it'd be cool to start in the caverns and dig to the surface. Even through an aquifer, now that'd be a new challenge, safely breaching an aquifer from below and building a stairway up through it hehe.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 18, 2010, 02:51:08 am »

It would be fun to embark with 7 having military skills and carrying weapons instead of tools on these farms. Then gather tools, materials and food from corpses of previous owners.
Sure, once landlord finds out, he should send some military to wipe you out, but that means just more FUN.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1196 on: September 18, 2010, 03:31:57 am »

Why must the dwarves embark above ground in the foreign nation? Maybe they traveled through the caverns to setup below them undetected. I've always thought it'd be cool to start in the caverns and dig to the surface. Even through an aquifer, now that'd be a new challenge, safely breaching an aquifer from below and building a stairway up through it hehe.

THAT sounds like really interesting scenario.

Thou I am not sure that aquifer would be breachable from below unless you luck out on hitting ore cluster. But fun hitting river from bottom ... hmm :)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1197 on: September 18, 2010, 11:22:40 am »

I'm sure you could breach an aquifer from below (not that I've tried). It'd probably be similar, but with more drainage. Once you get a staircase through and up, you can open it downwards in the same way as before, you just need to get a squad through and up.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 18, 2010, 03:16:44 pm »

From what I recall, yes, you can actually do that. But only with fortress mode. Adventure mode supposedly doesn't work very well this way. The spawls do indeed cause a massive lag to world genning as well as waiting for things to load up. But I think I'll put my vote in as well as request for a lighter sprawl load. To allow more areas to access and quicker loading. (Not that I mind it now, it would just make things easier.)

What's causing the slowdown in the worldgen isn't the sprawl; it's the large increase in battles. If you go to legends mode and look at the history of your world during the last few years of worldgen, you'll notice that there are literally hundreds of battles being fought per year. In this version, worldgen battles happen every week instead of every year; naturally, every powerful civ now rounds up about 1000-2000 guys every week to go pillage some defenseless site somewhere. By the end of my 400-year worldgen, most sites were up to their 1000th pillagings. That's a lot of battles being fought! Battles have always been the most time-consuming element of worldgen, and now that they have increased by a couple of orders of magnitude, it's no wonder that worldgen is a lot slower.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 18, 2010, 10:15:57 pm »

Toady's going to have to take notice of that and at least give some attention to fixing it. There are various obvious things that should prevent this from happening, from supply lines, time and expense to relative possible gain. You wouldn't pillage something that has nothing to offer you. And you can't afford to run a campaign every week no matter what kind of taxes you levee; you just couldn't feed or organize your army to do that.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 342