Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1557756 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1290 on: October 08, 2010, 12:50:48 pm »

I understand the difficulty of transferring wounds after transformation, but transferring equipment seems like it should be a simple matter of "Does the new creature have the part this was equipped on? If not, drop the item, if so, equip it." Is there some intricacy I'm missing here?

What if the part is bigger/smaller, or has different parts coming off of it, or isn't shaped the same?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: October 08, 2010, 01:21:33 pm »

Awesome dev log.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: October 08, 2010, 01:24:20 pm »

I understand the difficulty of transferring wounds after transformation, but transferring equipment seems like it should be a simple matter of "Does the new creature have the part this was equipped on? If not, drop the item, if so, equip it." Is there some intricacy I'm missing here?

What if the part is bigger/smaller, or has different parts coming off of it, or isn't shaped the same?

Body Horror, or change the armor to fit, or break the armor.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 08, 2010, 02:27:10 pm »

Or merge with it. Metallic "skin"  ::) .

The Transformation stuff sounds awesome. Oh try to remember this one story of Threetoe with the Satyrs turning to "foul Blendecs". With the transformation code it could actually work  ;) .

Also could we get non-monstrous stuff to create Monsters like this? It would be fitting around spherical lands where people can get "lost".
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: October 08, 2010, 03:07:03 pm »

Seriously awesome dev log.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: October 08, 2010, 04:19:32 pm »

Also could we get non-monstrous stuff to create Monsters like this? It would be fitting around spherical lands where people can get "lost".
Toady did mention that we'd get tags for night creature behaviors. I kind of wonder if, and if so, how, they might work for entity creatures.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: October 08, 2010, 04:46:10 pm »

Probably not at all, if they're anything like the [POWER] tag. If they do work in any capacity, expect it too be buggy, since that's not really what they're intended for.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: October 08, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »

Well yeah, probably, but it's worth testing when it comes out.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: October 08, 2010, 07:40:38 pm »

Best dev log in a while.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: October 08, 2010, 08:10:47 pm »

I just love how this thread explodes each time toady does a longer post on the dev-blog.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: October 08, 2010, 08:24:01 pm »

As for the equipment conundrum, as a first step I'd just have the transformee drop all his/her items and when the old body 'dies' the items become free property again for anyone nearby... including the transformed to pick up as needed.
Obviously it would be much cooler if transformations (like werewolves in moonlight or Jekyll/Hyde) would take place without swapping (in)to a new entity and having clothes be torn to shreds etc as the body morphes. :D

edit: oh, Tfaal beat me to it. ;) I'd think the transformation process is violent enough to make any minor injuries an afterthought. In fact, in many horror stories/RPGs a transformation heals all wounds. Changing to a bat and back would be a viable healing option for vampires, if not for the short period of disorientation. (also turning into vapour is a more certain escape option...unless they brought fire). :p

*TURNS INTO a BATMAN* "Jabbering jinkies!"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:33:26 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 08, 2010, 08:57:40 pm »

Quote from: devlog
This has also lead to our first remarriages as the partner left behind in the village can move on, and the trolls themselves dump their transformed spouse once their troll child reaches adulthood.
I am excited for the prospects of more complex dwarf mode relationships being built on this.

Also excited for when transformed-creatures-able-to-transform-creatures goes in, and worldgen turns absolutely everyone into monsters due to exponential growth.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 08, 2010, 09:01:27 pm »

Clothes tearing is actually pretty easy if you calculate the different volumes of bodyparts (volumes get to big -> shred cloths) well given that they still exist thus for transformations between humanoids. For changing from humanoid to other things it is as tricky as wounds.

Well not all transformations heal and there where examples of body horror   where the transforming person felt its bones breaking for new joints and its heart stopping to beat for a time. For insects like butterflies its not that important if they are injured since they reabsorb theyr flesh anyway so a small group of stemcells within the caterpillars body can grow into the butterfly. By modding that works too irc. you can set a certain bodypart to size 0 until it gets a growthspurt.

Also who else thought on "The beauty and the beast" as you were reading the dev-blog?

Toady did mention that we'd get tags for night creature behaviors. I   kind of wonder if, and if so, how, they might work for entity creatures.

I was thinking more along the lines of curses onto a specific spot (say from a witch which was burned out of superstition) that turns a entire village in Nightcreaturish things or certain certain circumstances in a spherical land turning you into one - say Rorec McHuman tuning into a Bear after eating the wrong fruit/animal.

Bug prediction: FBs and or titans will by glitch use the same reproducing rules as the Nighters which ends with a family of *big spiders made of fire with steel feathers which mutter the names of theyr victims. Beware of its webs.* things inviting themselves to your fort.

Btw can FB and demonwebs be harvested for silk? If yes how much are they worth?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:03:22 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 08, 2010, 09:19:34 pm »

Toady; please don't have Trolls as one of the names of the new night creatures, these creatures don't fit the modern definition of trolls, and instead seem more like changelings.  Or will it be possibke to modify the name myself?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 08, 2010, 09:19:58 pm »

Btw can FB and demonwebs be harvested for silk? If yes how much are they worth?
Yes, value 1.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 342