Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562522 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2010, 10:51:08 am »

I think I'd like to play AS a villian/night creature. You know, roaming from town to town, converting the population into horrific creatures at my command? Eventually I'd have a "Children Golem" division for extended psychological sieges.
That could be doable, given these bits:
Quote from: Adventurer Role: Slayer of Night Creatures
  • Curses and exposure
  •      Can be cursed by night creatures when you put them down
  •      The slaves of night creatures could have extreme effects from proximity that also affect you if you make a business of hunting them

I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2010, 10:58:27 am »

I'm thinking Archaeologist myself; going to ancient, half buried ruins, and excavating them, reading their engravings, and slaying the ancient horrors that slumber beneath them. Then taking the choicest trinkets back to a museum built on the outskirts of a friendly town, to display them for the rest of the world to see.
after moding in fedora hats, ofcourse

Of course. Naturally, I'll also need a whip, and I'll get a knife-user with a leather jacket and 'neatly combed' hair along as a bodyguard.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2010, 10:59:15 am »

The treasure hunter role seems quite cool, especially if worldgen artifacts come in (which might also give certain megabeasts a bit more to do as well). Though the villain talk reminds me...

How much will personality and/or personal capability play into a historical figure's desire to obtain or keep power, whether legitimately or as a Villain-type character? Might other factors come into play as well? Currently, even a powerful creature with maximum ambition will not necessarily obtain entity positions if they are open, possibly even taking up farming. I guess this might tie into leaders abdicating without fail if a POWER rolls into town and claims divinity.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2010, 11:29:34 am »

I'm curious to see how mine carts will be implemented. I hope there will be some entertaining bugs with them, like atomsmashing whatever's pulling it whenever it moves or something.

Let's start guessing what bugs will show up with each new feature!

Ooh, I like that game!

Movement speeds, turning and inertia
Mounts can only turn right.

Reputation with entity (see below) allowing for easier followers
Reputation can only go down, never up. Alternatively, too much genocide causes your reputation to go so low it hits the end of the binary integer and loops around, making you the most-liked adventurer in the world.

People offering free goods to heroes
The game forgets to uncheck the ownership flag and you become wanted for theft.

Being able to haul multiple small objects
Quantum stockpile, meet the quantum hauler.

Ability to jump in adv mode
What goes up fails to come back down.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2010, 11:34:36 am »

I love all of the stuff in the upcoming dev list. Personally most excited by the various Caravan-arc related stuff, but all of it seems like it'll enrich the game quite a bit.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2010, 11:50:01 am »

I think I'd like to play AS a villian/night creature. You know, roaming from town to town, converting the population into horrific creatures at my command? Eventually I'd have a "Children Golem" division for extended psychological sieges.
That could be doable, given these bits:
Quote from: Adventurer Role: Slayer of Night Creatures
  • Curses and exposure
  •      Can be cursed by night creatures when you put them down
  •      The slaves of night creatures could have extreme effects from proximity that also affect you if you make a business of hunting them

I hope there's a curse effect that turns you undead, yet retains free will. Then I'll end up playing Lich Tower instead of Dwarf Fortress, in adventure mode. Zombies and skeletons would make excellent manual labor workers!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2010, 12:53:22 pm »

So, what kind of roles would you guys like to play as an adventurer? Obviously, we'll play all of them as they get implemented, but what features are you looking forward to most? I'm quite excited about the stuff under "Villians" and "Adventurer Role: Treasure Hunter". Actual challenges are going to be a blast.
Adventurer Roles: Hero sounds delightfully Homeric. That, plus the some of the stuff from Adventurer Skills, will allow creation of a fortress stocked with brave lackeys, and wars and other such endeavors wherein we lead an army as the greatest hero-king to ever walk the earth.

Mr. Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Be afraid beautiful people, be very afraid....
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2010, 01:45:32 pm »

After reading through this thread I've been unable to locate my pants.
"But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?"

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2010, 01:47:07 pm »

I'm liking the sound of most of it, but there are a few things that look bad. For one, I've never been a big fan of having guilds, it seems like they take some of the control away from the player. And even MORE demands to put up with? I'm not fond of digging enemies either, but thankfully it will be optional.

Mr. Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Be afraid beautiful people, be very afraid....
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2010, 01:48:01 pm »

I'm liking the sound of most of it, but there are a few things that look bad. For one, I've never been a big fan of having guilds, it seems like they take some of the control away from the player. And even MORE demands to put up with? I'm not fond of digging enemies either, but thankfully it will be optional.
A little bit of editing the raws and BAM!
They are gone... :P
"But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?"

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2010, 02:12:57 pm »

A little bit of editing the raws and BAM!
They are gone... :P
Assuming that guilds enter the raws, that is. The dev page doesn't exactly say whether we should except new things in the raws.

Hmm, I've been considering posting a raws suggestion thread vaguely in the vein of the Diversity threads. Maybe I should consider polishing what I have...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2010, 02:18:10 pm »

The guilds (and families / groups etc.) are one of the things I am most looking forward to, I can see it as enriching the cultures of the civs quite a bit.

I suspect that some real lessons will be learned from the current entity demand processes, and this might even be a good opportunity to revisit the current implementation a little bit?

Plus we need more dwarven infighting, thats for sure.

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2010, 02:33:56 pm »

Near the end of the log, you make a reference to "Moving Fortress Sections" do you have any brief ideas what this will entail for a player and to what extent they will be able to use it? i.e will we be able to have multi-level lifts and other such things available to aid with hauling large amounts of goods?

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2010, 03:29:57 pm »

Regarding the two of the top ten ESV items not specifically addressed on the new page, sped-up pathfinding and graphics support, the idea with the first is an upcoming date with the linux profiler now that we've got DF running over there to address the low-hanging fruit on the main grievance behind the suggestion (large, slow forts).
This one line is the feature I'm most interested about. Significant increases in FPS over time mean community forts wouldn't need to be abandoned after a few years, and megaprojects would be much more fun to create. Hopefully improved pathfinding will provide these increases. Very exciting announcement.

This is the feature I understand the least- I'm not a programmer at all. How will Linux help pathfinding to be better? Does it apply to other platforms as well?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2010, 03:45:13 pm »

This is the feature I understand the least- I'm not a programmer at all. How will Linux help pathfinding to be better? Does it apply to other platforms as well?

Linux in itself won't help, but the Linux version of DF can be analysed by software called a profiler, that automatically inserts measurement-points in the program code and then collects data about what parts of the code take up the most time. So if Toady loads a really big and slow fortress into a profiling-enabled build of DF, he can get graphs etc. over which parts of the code needs the most immediate improvement to make that fortress, and probably other similar ones, run faster.
Profiling software exists for all platforms, though, it's not something specific to Linux either.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 342