Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562459 times)

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1410 on: October 17, 2010, 11:53:24 pm »

Will the new night creatures be accessible through arena mode?
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: October 18, 2010, 12:51:20 am »

Wow thanks Toady. Didnt exspect another WoT so soon.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: October 18, 2010, 01:19:41 am »

Quote from: Sunday
So, the reference about 'cauldrons of blood.' Is that just a poetic way of saying that this release will involve great violence and terror? Or are there actual, real cauldrons now, that are filled/can be filled with blood?

Ah, yeah, I guess that's ambiguous, isn't it?  I hadn't thought about that.

And you didn't actually clarify.  Or rather you didn't make on or the other uniquely obvious.  I would green this, but all I really expect at this point is a "He he he."
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1413 on: October 18, 2010, 04:00:28 am »

He he he.

Will the new night creatures be accessible through arena mode?

Like the forgotten beasts, they aren't generated until a world is made, and they are never in the raw folders so they aren't accessible to the arena itself.  I think it might be a bit of a spoiler to allow them to be created too soon through the arena, but as the generated content gets more stale or more rawified, they might find their way over there.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: October 18, 2010, 04:10:15 am »

If you had a choice, what kinds of things would you want the long and common magic discussions to figure out? There are so many of them, and so many people thinking and speculating over the same things again and again. It seems like during the time it takes to reach the magic arc, many near-perfect theories about it's possible structure could be laid out for you cleanly and clearly. But do you want that?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: October 18, 2010, 06:45:18 am »

Thanks for the answers! :)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: October 18, 2010, 08:44:35 am »

As far as the recent post regarding who gets credit as the villagers savior, it would be great to be able to find evidence of who killed the beast and have a memorial placed for the real victor assuming you don't want to lie or whatever. If you tell the truth and say you didn't kill him, then maybe the villagers could give thanks to an anonymous hero with a statue or something.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: October 18, 2010, 09:43:46 am »

He he he.

Toady, you are so mischievous.  :)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: October 18, 2010, 11:52:40 am »

Because picks and axes are too big to hide in their not-pants, obviously.

Aren't you the funny guy? Thanks for really contributing to the discussion.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: October 18, 2010, 12:47:10 pm »

Because attempting to be funny is not allowed in any shape or form in this thread.

In any case, I'd prefer that actual, physical tools (aside from picks and axes, because seriously those things are HUGE) not be required in either fortress or adventure mode. If it were an init option (I think this has also been the proposed solution to the digging enemies controversy), that'd be fine.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 18, 2010, 12:53:21 pm »

that's awfully hostile of you, thvaz. the guy is just explaining the means by wich he "willingly suspends disbelief", he added to the discussion, he stated his opinion, and addressed the problem you posed to his opinion with a simple but sensible explanation and a humorous wink at a bug, it's customary on these forums, get used to it.

EDIT:perhaps i should also give my opinion. hoes and pitchforks are huge too, and many tools of the trades, like smith hammers and butcher knives are usable as weapons, making them very useful, why are picks more pertinent than any of these? one could state that they are dwarvenly, but so are blacksmith hammers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:01:12 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 18, 2010, 12:54:06 pm »

Quote from: thvaz
When will at least some of the world gen events happen after proper world gen is finished?

This is the main thing we are aiming for, pretty much, of all the features in the game.  It has just been tricky to start without entity populations, and to a lesser extent site resources.  We've got entity populations now as of the September releases.  This time we wanted to get an adventure mode game to play, so that something is happening there, especially since it degenerated even more with the villages.  Tentatively, we are thinking about November for site resources, caravan and town stuff, and December for other groups moving around, which'll finally mean something is happening.  If we can get the economy up in November, then that should impact dwarf mode quite a bit as well, and it would be at that point perhaps that armies can also start coming from places, though we still have some depopulation concerns until things are ironed out.

Really looking forward to all of this!

When the economy/site resources go in, are we going to see more logical equipment for guards, invaders, and the like? Also, how well is the game going to handle in modded-in materials and the like?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 18, 2010, 01:01:54 pm »

Tools in adv. mode are fine i think and Butcher/bone-knives make excellent weapons. In Fort i think it would be to much clutter and micromanagement.
Tools in Adv. are a good substitute for a full fledged Workshop (say if your pants tear in the middle of the uncharted wilds) but a workshop should give you a higher bonus to crafting. Axes and Picks are another thing because they double as full weapons on theyr own, where bone-knives etc. would be daggers or something.

Will Nightcreature dens have theyr own crude (weapon)-traps at some point?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 18, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »

Because attempting to be funny is not allowed in any shape or form in this thread.

In any case, I'd prefer that actual, physical tools (aside from picks and axes, because seriously those things are HUGE) not be required in either fortress or adventure mode. If it were an init option (I think this has also been the proposed solution to the digging enemies controversy), that'd be fine.

It's fine to be funny, as long as you are adding on the subject, as you did now.

And isn't a plow or fishing rod bigger than axes and picks? They too are tools.

that's awfully hostile of you, thvaz. the guy is just explaining the means by wich he "willingly suspends disbelief", he added to the discussion, he stated his opinion, and addressed the problem you posed to his opinion with a simple but sensible explanation and a humorous wink at a bug, it's customary on these forums, get used to it.

I'm used with these fora, as I am reading them since 2006. It wasn't my intention to be hostile, jut mildly sarcastic, but my grasp of English is far from good.

Edit:
EDIT:perhaps i should also give my opinion. hoes and pitchforks are huge too, and many tools of the trades, like smith hammers and butcher knives are usable as weapons, making them very useful, why are picks more pertinent than any of these? one could state that they are dwarvenly, but so are blacksmith hammers.

Thatīs what I'm asking, just a little consistency. It can be made without clutter - we don't need every little surgeon tool - and it would really add to the game.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 01:13:52 pm by thvaz »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: October 18, 2010, 05:58:18 pm »

The distinction is that mining and chopping don't require anything but the tool. Farming requires a farm plot, smithing requires a forge and anvil and tongs. Butchery doesn't require any single thing, but it's a complicated process, and a workshop is not unmerited even if it is possible to clean carcasses and chop them up and all that in the field.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 342