Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562348 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1440 on: October 20, 2010, 10:34:33 am »

Can natural skills be trained further or are they static?

Most likely depends on whether the creature has CAN_LEARN, just like the current skills.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 20, 2010, 10:40:03 am »

Hmm, natural skills could be very interesting if paired with castes. You could create a caste of dwarves with a natural aptitude for combat or craftsmanship, for instance.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: October 20, 2010, 10:46:37 am »

I think for casted stuff like Ant-man its more useful and biting can work for many of the animal-man. Constructs like the different Elementman could get some additional skill in Wrestler, Kicker ad Stricker.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1443 on: October 20, 2010, 10:46:49 am »

>> (you can assign natural starting skills by type and level in the raws now),
>> They don't bathe yet apparently, although I have no idea if minotaurs should ever clean themselves or not.

Hooray! Can make birds and vorpal rabbits with a high dodging skill! Also, the quickling, a 4x-speed humanoid, could use a dodging boost.
How about CLEANS_SELF and CLEANS_EQUIPMENT tag in the raws, near the can_wear_clothes (was it EQUIPS) tag?

Hmm, natural skills could be very interesting if paired with castes. You could create a caste of dwarves with a natural aptitude for combat or craftsmanship, for instance.
Already have high strength and high recuperation castes in Genesis mod. Craftmanship caste in Genesis... the high-learning-speed one.
Deon also had a firebreath caste, a web-spitting caste, and a paralysis-spitting caste. Which I didn't like.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:56:43 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: October 20, 2010, 11:31:10 am »

RELEASE NOW

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: October 20, 2010, 11:34:17 am »

RELEASE NOW
I'd prefer if adventurer mode got a bit more flushed out before the release. Some bandits would certainly be nice to have.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: October 20, 2010, 11:43:59 am »

RELEASE NOW
I'd prefer if adventurer mode got a bit more flushed out before the release. Some bandits would certainly be nice to have.

Hehehe, me too. Just a little anxious. :)

Could you elaborate a bit on what a labyrinth is? Is it a natural element of a cavern that minotaurs gravitate toward, something created by the minotaur, or an abandoned structure created by a civilization?

Maybe they could be a punishement from the gods? A bit like they were in the greek mithology.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:00 am »

RELEASE NOW
So would be the fact that crafted armor is always too large for you. I would LOVE to craft a helmet out of a minotaur skull.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: October 20, 2010, 12:54:32 pm »

So would be the fact that crafted armor is always too large for you. I would LOVE to craft a helmet out of a minotaur skull.
The reverse seems more likely from the devlog, however.
I'm glad that dens seem to be a raw-behavior, and apparently with different options. The skill thing is cool as well, though for entity creatures, I'd like to see a tag that allows certain skills to increase faster or slower (rather than just all skills). Being able to start with certain skill levels might be odd in adventure mode.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: October 20, 2010, 01:05:09 pm »

Could you elaborate a bit on what a labyrinth is? Is it a natural element of a cavern that minotaurs gravitate toward, something created by the minotaur, or an abandoned structure created by a civilization?

Maybe they could be a punishement from the gods? A bit like they were in the greek mithology.
God behavior is supposed to eventually be procedurally generated. Having them always punish an entire race of beings sort of detracts pretty significantly from that. Also, in Greek myth, the Minotaur was put in the labyrinth by Minos and Daedalus. Though Minos was a demigod, his measure of divinity was not related to the imprisonment, he was merely Daedalus' patron.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:24:27 pm by Cruxador »

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: October 20, 2010, 01:55:54 pm »

On the subject of Labyrinths...

What type of labyrinth generator are you using? Will it be a true labyrinth (just a single path, typically boring), or actually a maze? There are circular maze types that look like labyrinths at first, after all...

How will labyrinths interact with rural sprawl? Will there be farms directly surrounding the labyrinth walls, or will there be a "protected" area around it where humans just won't go near willingly?  How large?  Night Creature lairs in general might be a good way of keeping sprawl down, especially if they keep normal civs away, but don't prevent embarking in DF mode... maybe using the underground fog of war system to cover their territory up.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: October 20, 2010, 02:33:15 pm »

I assumed the labyrinths would be underground, under cave entrances or something.

you can assign natural starting skills by type and level in the raws now

Niiiiice.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:35:32 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: October 20, 2010, 03:39:33 pm »

Will the reimplementation of shops mean races in sites other than cities will build them, or is it only a return to the previous behavior?  Will humanoid (semi-)megabeasts like giants and cyclopes have equipment naturally, or only if they steal it?
Can't wait to mod about with the new creature skills and stuff.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: October 20, 2010, 07:26:53 pm »

"Replace skeletons and zombies with generalized generated types of creature corruption/undeath etc." Does this mean night creatures are going to break saves, since you said something about them appearing in Dwarf Mode too? Just so we can plan ahead.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: October 20, 2010, 08:04:50 pm »

The general rule for save-breaking is that if a shiny new thing is added, existing worlds won't have that shiny new thing.  They'll still work just fine, they can take advantage of bug-fixes and everything else, but new night creatures won't suddenly spring into being in your old worlds (just pretend you genned a world where they were all already dead).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 342