Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562410 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1455 on: October 21, 2010, 12:00:36 am »

Quote from: Mephansteras
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Mephansteras
When the economy/site resources go in, are we going to see more logical equipment for guards, invaders, and the like? Also, how well is the game going to handle in modded-in materials and the like?

You mean stuff they could reasonably afford or some other bug?  Or you mean equipment based on more AI and siege planning?  I'm not sure what angle you meant by more logical. [...]

Sorry for not being specific. I'll elaborate a bit. [...]

I think once the caravans are moving around, the guards'll start to be equipped more consistently.  If site resources are in before the invaders move around, that'll likely be the case for them as well, including the thieves.  So perhaps November/December, depending on how much production and supply/demand is working.  Ideally if I work on caravans and site resources for a few weeks in November, there will be enough information sitting around, but it's hard to know exactly how much that's going to blow up until I try it.

Quote from: Footkerchief
Quote from: zwei
Can natural skills be trained further or are they static?
Most likely depends on whether the creature has CAN_LEARN, just like the current skills.

Yeah, that's how it works.  I imagine adventurers and starting dwarves might end up shafted by their overriding profiles, but I'm not sure, since I haven't tried natural skills on any civ critters.

Quote from: tfaal
Could you elaborate a bit on what a labyrinth is? Is it a natural element of a cavern that minotaurs gravitate toward, something created by the minotaur, or an abandoned structure created by a civilization?
Quote from: Cruxador
God behavior is supposed to eventually be procedurally generated. Having them always punish an entire race of beings sort of detracts pretty significantly from that. Also, in Greek myth, the Minotaur was put in the labyrinth by Minos and Daedalus. Though Minos was a demigod, his measure of divinity was not related to the imprisonment, he was merely Daedalus' patron.
Quote from: Fieari
What type of labyrinth generator are you using? Will it be a true labyrinth (just a single path, typically boring), or actually a maze? There are circular maze types that look like labyrinths at first, after all...

How will labyrinths interact with rural sprawl? Will there be farms directly surrounding the labyrinth walls, or will there be a "protected" area around it where humans just won't go near willingly?  How large?  Night Creature lairs in general might be a good way of keeping sprawl down, especially if they keep normal civs away, but don't prevent embarking in DF mode... maybe using the underground fog of war system to cover their territory up.

Right now, a labyrinth is something created by the minotaur.  Ideally, the mythological method would be possible, but that requires lots of things we don't have yet, so we just hand-waved them in.

It is modeled on the Labyrinth, which is a maze, rather than a labyrinth, as far as I understand how the terms have been tortured over time, he he he.  So yeah, you can get lost, though in the case of ones that span Z levels we have stayed well away from the horror possible.  A 40x40x4 maze unconstrained was too much, maybe more like it should be from the myth where you have trouble escaping even when you aren't being devoured, so we are a little soft on the z level changes.  I let the 2 level ones float freely in some percentage of the maps, since that isn't so bad to figure out in practice.

The labyrinths are all underground and moreover outside of the village limits to avoid the irritation.  They can be close, but not within the fields themselves.

Quote from: JoRo
Will the reimplementation of shops mean races in sites other than cities will build them, or is it only a return to the previous behavior?  Will humanoid (semi-)megabeasts like giants and cyclopes have equipment naturally, or only if they steal it?

We're still stuck with the previous behavior overall with some tweaks.  Setting up the other civs will be involved enough that there might have to be entire releases devoted to it, as with the human villages.  Right now all equipment is taken in some way or another, so they don't actually build anything (although the tools are a bit hacky that way).  We were going to do a bit more with giants and cyclopes but, I doubt we'll get there before it's time to put it up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: October 21, 2010, 02:27:36 am »

I have a metaphorical boner when I read all this stuff about night creatures and minotaurs and shit. :DDDD
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: October 21, 2010, 05:33:48 am »

Awww! So no chance of stumbling apon Rediculously large, unsolvable mazes? Still, a 2 level maze would still be ok.. Looking forward to getting lost.

When you say based on the labrynth, does that mean there are moving walls and and critters around the place or is it just going to be the minotaurs lair, like a giants cave?
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1458 on: October 21, 2010, 05:41:31 am »

They can be 4 or 5 deep, but it's just not insanely insanely windy up and down when it does that.  It was traumatizing to test.

Unlike the goblin snatchers, I meant it was based on the Greek Labyrinth rather than Labyrinth the movie, so nobody will be moving floor tiles after you mark them with lipstick and there won't be weird creatures that throw their heads and stuff.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: October 21, 2010, 07:15:14 am »

No David Bowie?! Well I'll not have that I won't!
Love, scriver~

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: October 21, 2010, 08:39:20 am »

You could mod David Bowie to exist in the game, if you wanted. Nothing stopping you.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1461 on: October 21, 2010, 08:42:52 am »

You could mod David Bowie to exist in the game, if you wanted. Nothing stopping you.

Beware Its Deadly Hair?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: October 21, 2010, 08:48:20 am »

So minotaurs will use the weapons of their victims. Can they use shields and armors, provided they are of the right size? Other creatures will have this ability? Is it in the raws?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: October 21, 2010, 10:36:40 am »

Beware Its Deadly Hair?

Beware his Package.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: October 21, 2010, 02:06:35 pm »

Ok I guess I have a question

Toady with the possible Mythology generator is there a chance that your long list if questions (why are we here, what are dreams) could also be fed into it so the answer could differ world to world with possible real game implications? (for example how Gods revere human beings). Will we ever see such world spanning randomisation?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: October 21, 2010, 04:01:48 pm »

The starting skill values are awesome!  Is there any chance that in this version or an upcoming one, skills-per-race could be expanded further in the raws, like, goblin 'high master dodger' is better than dwarf 'high master dodger', or goblins learn dodge faster than dwarves, or some other way to represent that humans are better than dwarves at farming while dwarves are better at mining?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: October 21, 2010, 04:56:37 pm »

The starting skill values are awesome!  Is there any chance that in this version or an upcoming one, skills-per-race could be expanded further in the raws, like, goblin 'high master dodger' is better than dwarf 'high master dodger', or goblins learn dodge faster than dwarves, or some other way to represent that humans are better than dwarves at farming while dwarves are better at mining?

But to what extent is this skill or simple attributes? I could imagine some skills being easier to learn for some races then others but to have a skill be more potent for one race then another without some sort of physical or magical variable is something else.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: October 21, 2010, 05:50:21 pm »

If minotaurs are getting revamped and giants and cyclops will too at some point, what about ettins?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: October 21, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »

Werewolves are of interest to me. Can we expect them to get some love from the new night creature features? Will they be transforming and living among humans any time soon?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: October 21, 2010, 07:03:05 pm »

Oh yes, love for werewolves.  ♥
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 342