Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1559193 times)

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 07:20:27 am »

So this is supposed to be the new Megathread? It'll be weird to be in at the start this time.

And yes, this semi-useless post is mostly so I can see replies to it in "new replies to your posts", sorry.

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 07:39:44 am »

Are there any plans to clean up and reorganize the current user interface?
Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 07:45:33 am »

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you see the stickied bugs in the bug tracker?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 07:49:21 am »

Regarding the two of the top ten ESV items not specifically addressed on the new page, sped-up pathfinding and graphics support, the idea with the first is an upcoming date with the linux profiler now that we've got DF running over there to address the low-hanging fruit on the main grievance behind the suggestion (large, slow forts).
This one line is the feature I'm most interested about. Significant increases in FPS over time mean community forts wouldn't need to be abandoned after a few years, and megaprojects would be much more fun to create. Hopefully improved pathfinding will provide these increases. Very exciting announcement.

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 07:51:27 am »

It was listed under the "Hauling Improvements" suggestion, not in the dev notes, but a bit of rework on stacking would be very welcome (coins come to mind, many people tend to avoid starting a real economy with coinage because we usually end up with very large number of very small coin pile all over the place, sending the game into a crawl.

Specially for things like liquids (stored in barrels), coins and bolts, it would be great if dwarves were able to re-stack some items.

So, in short, Does taking a look at restacking is still in the scope of the "Hauling Improvements" nano-arc ?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 07:53:07 am »

I like the form of the new list.  It really gives an idea of what's going on.

Keep up the good work!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 08:07:24 am »

Is it ok to ask about a release schedule? Screw it, I'm going for it.

What I am curious about is if the plan is to release a big update with adventure upgrades, or a smaller one before that with some of the bug fixes for fortress mode?
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 08:36:37 am »

Wooo, good read.

You mention digging out soil tiles in adventure mode, but don't say anything about digging into rock. Is that a deliberate omission?

I'm not fussed either way, just curious, and mostly needed an excuse to post so I could track this thread.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 08:42:12 am »

# Extend adv mode starvation/dehydration times to appropriate number of days

Does this mean that travelling will no longer cure hunger, thirst and sleepiness? And in what sense appropriate, real world or fortress mode appropriate?
I assume that the healing magic done by Travelling has been a stand-in for being able to hunt for food yourself, so it'll probably go away. (I can't imagine it's not intentional.)
Hopefully doing basic healthcare on yourself is also planned, even just applying bandages to a wound.

Does taking a look at restacking is still in the scope of the "Hauling Improvements" nano-arc ?
Since hauling multiple separate items at once is in, perhaps stacks are going away entirely? To me, the entire "stack" concept seems like a bit of a hack to be able to treat multiple items as a single.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 08:43:34 am »

I noticed "branding" says it will be dependent on tracking art objects in the wounds system. Does this mean tattooing or body painting could be in? It'd make for some nice distinctive characters, although the unique body system already helps with that.

Also, moving fortress sections! Hurray! \o/

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 08:45:20 am »

Does taking a look at restacking is still in the scope of the "Hauling Improvements" nano-arc ?
Since hauling multiple separate items at once is in, perhaps stacks are going away entirely? To me, the entire "stack" concept seems like a bit of a hack to be able to treat multiple items as a single.
Stacks will still be important for cutting down FPS. Sure you could haul many items at once but the game still needs to check each item for degradation over time. I suppose there could be virtual stacks in the future where that's hidden behind the scenes but it's still a pain compared to just grouping everything together.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 09:00:51 am »

Quote from: New dev page
· Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)
I cannot wait to see the insane things that people will build with this one.
Me neither. Finally I can build a transforming fortress.

Quote from: New dev page
Ability to use grappling hooks/ladders/climb
grappling hooks caught me by surprise, and are also awesome.

And I must know whether I can use a grappling-hook-loaded-crossbow in adventure mode.

Rube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 09:01:10 am »

All that adventurer stuff looks amazing, but I have to wonder how long it'll be till we see all of that? Hopefully only a year or two, it'll certainly be worth it regardless.

For anyone wondering about interface updates - the graphics support in the eternal suggestions doesn't mention anything about interface changes, it's to do with separating all the game entities into their own tiles mostly. Maybe the two are closely related code-wise though, so updating the tiles will give us some interface improvements too (beside having full-stops that don't look like dirt, I mean).

VWSpeedRacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 09:04:01 am »

Improved sieges : Ability to dig (optionally, default on)

Would it be possible for humanoid attackers to be carrying picks for this - i.e. a single Goblin Miner, which presents a strategy of trying to target the miner first?  For other creatures, perhaps a [DIG] tag in the attributes?

Bonus: new source of picks!

Edit: Now with sexy green text!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:17:37 am by VWSpeedRacer »
"Yo dorf, I herd you like menacing so I put spikes on yo spikes so you can menace while you menace!"
I think something went wrong with the mac download. All I know is, there's an exe in it, and that just ain't right.
Armok's Sweaty Balls Toady

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 09:05:11 am »

Magmawiki has the old dev page archived HERE if anyone wants to see it.
Ah, that's the old old dev pages. I was hoping for the previous dev page for comparison, but it seems that about everything is on the new ones as well. That said, I'm curious what the official status of reqs, bloats, and power goals is. Are they "gone" for good and only exist as guidelines now, or just did only their tracking in the version number stop? I mean, power goals seem to be too far off for the most part to be useful, after all.

Lands and beastiary
Randomized critters in other categories (vermin, roaming creatures, soil critters, plants, etc.), naming them
Being able to look at a list of all known creatures you've seen and where
Do you envision the initial bestiary implementation to be adventurer mode only, or also a feature of legends/fortress mode? As more randomized objects come into play, a first look at what exists becomes more and more important, after all.

Valuables and mansions
Adventure sites
Are there any short-term plans to export sites and site structures into the raws?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 342