Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562858 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1545 on: October 27, 2010, 12:33:35 pm »

castle walls and a keep

seems authentic to me.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: October 27, 2010, 01:11:23 pm »

Will the unwinnable quests to kill friendly demon civ-leaders be no-more with this release?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: October 27, 2010, 01:35:17 pm »

ahh i'm sure this is appropriate with the latest update on 27/10/2010

Now that the human civilisation have improved and larger castles

When will you begin to implement more seige engines, or perhaps a mini mode such as the arena where the player is in command of the defenders or attackers and has catapults, seige towers battering rams etc at there disposal?, will it also be possible to implement a feature where destroyed towers or sections of walls would cause a cave in?
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 27, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »

I look forwards to seeing these castles in ruined conditions, with their walls halfway torn down, corners of the keep's ceiling toppled over and the ground littered with stones...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 27, 2010, 02:36:18 pm »

castle walls and a keep

seems authentic to me.
There should also be stables at the very least, and probably some decent amount of living space outside the keep, since most castles expanded a bit in population after the construction was completed.

Otherwise, they'd be much less big, because all that empty space in the middle isn't good for anything, (a field would be a good bit smaller than that) and walls aren't cheap to build.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: October 27, 2010, 02:46:43 pm »

castle walls and a keep

seems authentic to me.
There should also be stables at the very least, and probably some decent amount of living space outside the keep, since most castles expanded a bit in population after the construction was completed.

Otherwise, they'd be much less big, because all that empty space in the middle isn't good for anything, (a field would be a good bit smaller than that) and walls aren't cheap to build.

Wall-building might be energy-expensive and time-consuming for npcs (and players) but for a Toady One it only takes a simple script to give every lord his own megaproject residence!

...Kinda hope we eventually get the raws or a means to edit the building scripts for world-genned buildings.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: October 27, 2010, 02:59:41 pm »

When will you begin to implement more seige engines, or perhaps a mini mode such as the arena where the player is in command of the defenders or attackers and has catapults, seige towers battering rams etc at there disposal?, will it also be possible to implement a feature where destroyed towers or sections of walls would cause a cave in?

Toady has talked about siege engines a couple times:

With the improved sieges (sometime soon after this release, likely) will come a different and more properly supported notion of a moving vehicle (say, a siege tower), likely as a set of tiles handled something like constructions, but with the ability to move as a unit (along with any creatures or items in their tiles).

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60554.msg1377634#msg1377634
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: jfs
When stone fall traps are going to actually be stones falling from a level above, will catapults at the same time also be changed to they actually fire stones in arches and can hit multiple Z-levels? Also on the topic of siege weapons, are there plans for aimed/diagonal shots?

We want to have them fire in arcs, yeah, though I'm not sure what is going to fall out of the siege engine changes.  It would of course be cool to siege a site with a bunch of crazy dwarf-built siege weapons you build up that can blow out designated sections of wall and do all kinds of horrible things to structures and soldiers alike.  It relates back to how the lifts and other stuff works out.  It's weird in a way to build siege engines tile by tile, and a little fussy if you just want to do something normal, but there's going to be a good system living in there somewhere.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21498.msg322713#msg322713
Quote from: Toady One
Once sieges are up for improvement in the army arc, I'm probably going to tackle things like siege towers, which are multi-tile, multi-level constructions that can move across the map while containing critters and items (much like boats would be)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 27, 2010, 07:02:35 pm »

I was gonna post something similar earlier yesterday, but I restrained myself seeming as this is only the first iteration. It seems to me that such thing are most likely going in at a later state.
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 28, 2010, 12:26:51 am »

I was gonna post something similar earlier yesterday, but I restrained myself seeming as this is only the first iteration. It seems to me that such thing are most likely going in at a later state.
Indeed. I had a similar thought process, but mentioned it in response to Japa as he seemed to indicate that this would be a good finished state, while I feel otherwise. I of course do not mean to imply that it should have all these things from the instant that the first vestiges of a properly walled castle is implemented.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: October 28, 2010, 02:12:55 am »

Really liking the new castles! Much more interesting than the old giant rectangles.

Are castles just a human-only thing right now? Will other races be getting interesting places soon?

This somehow brings to mind the idea of player-moddable sites and structures

Is this even a consideration at the moment?) There is already the ability to design quite a bit of the objects in the game. (Even new spoilers, actually. That is a spoiler)
I suppose it's rude to mention it considering I made that particular thread and all, but I still think it'd be unbelievably awesome for people like me who like to mod in their own civs and creatures to be able to provide them with unique housing and whatnot. Clearly it's not happening any time soon.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:15:01 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: October 28, 2010, 12:20:28 pm »

I just noticed something : while the keep is higher than all the towers... there's only ground level. No stairs. Then why bother making it higher ? Is that a bug ?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 28, 2010, 12:34:07 pm »

I just noticed something : while the keep is higher than all the towers... there's only ground level. No stairs. Then why bother making it higher ? Is that a bug ?

No, the ceiling is just really high.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: October 28, 2010, 12:40:30 pm »

How much time it takes for a civ to build one of these castles? If they are not instantly built, can the process be interrupted? Are they built with materials available to the civilizations? Is wood one of these materials?Can they become ruins?

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: October 28, 2010, 03:48:20 pm »

Why do the towers use ramps instead of stairs?
(And speaking of it, all the other adventurer mode buildings.)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: October 28, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »

Why do the towers use ramps instead of stairs?
(And speaking of it, all the other adventurer mode buildings.)

Probably because DF ramps are much more stairlike than DF stairs, which are more akin to antigravity tubes or something.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 342