Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551662 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1575 on: October 29, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »

I would also suggest that many ramps are actually single direction staircases, such as you would find in front of your local library, or perhaps in a government building. Of course, I suggest this because I do not want to deprive my dwarves of stairs entirely, given my dislike for the aforementioned Antigravity Tubes.
So you'd rather that parts of your fortress be ADA non-compliant for no reason?

Hey, I have a reason! I hate cripples!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: October 29, 2010, 01:54:29 pm »

It's been a while since the blog was updated. Anyone else think he's gonna surprise release it on Halloween? It would be rather appropriate, given the Night Creatures and their as-of-yet unknown features.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:21:09 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: October 29, 2010, 02:02:12 pm »

Well as long we can trick and magma-treat our nobles i am all for it :P
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: October 29, 2010, 02:27:24 pm »

Oh god, my system can't take a simultaneous Minecraft and DF release!

FAKEEDIT: Apparently I dont have to work November First. BRING IT ON!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: October 29, 2010, 02:37:11 pm »

Well, if you don't remember, Toady released 0.31.01 on April 1st...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: October 29, 2010, 02:43:15 pm »

Heh hey Minecraft got the Multiplayer stuff nailed and Df the fantasy world simulation. The Halloween release? A version of Minecraft with a interface for Df on a server or how i like to call it: "WoW:Ascii" 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: October 29, 2010, 03:14:25 pm »

A few blog quotes and Toady posts here seemed to imply (to me, anyway) that we'd get a release around the end of the month, so Halloween might be a possibility. If not that, then probably early November.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: October 29, 2010, 08:57:34 pm »

Yeah, I figure he postponed the month end break to get the current stuff in and ready for use so we can start finding all the hilarious bugs.  We know he slightly postponed it anyway(didn't he post a blog on the 27th), so either he won't start working until the 4th, or he is pushing through whatever mad schemes he has while the ideas are fresh.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: October 29, 2010, 10:50:07 pm »

If you think about it, an update about creatures of the night and other gothic horrors would seem appropriate for Halloween.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: October 30, 2010, 02:53:22 pm »

Top Secret Halloween update, sounds good to me.  I just want working world gen with cities and towns.  Even though I like the Idea of leading seiges, it really isn't necissary... Although taking the fight to the elves would be amusing.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: October 30, 2010, 10:05:02 pm »

I just hope a fIXED VERSION Is soon. Damn capslock...

I wonder if the castly places will have loot. Like weapons n'stuff.
Everybody!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: October 31, 2010, 12:18:37 am »

Later, yes. Now, almost certainly no. Unless you count the things the guards are using. That should be plenty of loot for now.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: October 31, 2010, 01:56:51 am »

All ramps are also 45 degrees. Pushing a seige engine (let alone a tower) up that would be... terribly difficult.
Only if we assume tiles are cubes. That isn't necessarily true. Although I suspect any attempt to deduce the actual dimensions would only lead to weirdness. As far as I know, the official size is still "large enough 100 dragons, as long as 99 are lying down".
Akur Akir Akam!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: October 31, 2010, 04:15:05 am »

All ramps are also 45 degrees. Pushing a seige engine (let alone a tower) up that would be... terribly difficult.
Only if we assume tiles are cubes. That isn't necessarily true. Although I suspect any attempt to deduce the actual dimensions would only lead to weirdness. As far as I know, the official size is still "large enough 100 dragons, as long as 99 are lying down".
I seem to recall Toady actually giving a size estimate for a historical building that also appears in the game.  I don't remember if he actually said how big tiles generally are, but I think he mentioned it.  At any rate, it isn't "large enough for 100 dragons...", it is "large enough for nigh infinite dragons, as long as all but 1 are lying down."
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: October 31, 2010, 07:08:38 am »

Awesome. So bandits are in. And goblins bandits as well.
Will bandits attack in fortress mode? There will be multiracial bands?

It is a pity we wont have a release though. I was really expecting it today.

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 342