Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561637 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1635 on: November 01, 2010, 03:03:16 pm »

EDIT: It just occurred to me, will aimed shots be in for ranged attacks as well?  It'd be sweet if my legendary marksdwarf can start rattling off headshots like they're going out of style, and my hunters stop throwing three quivers of bolts into particularly stubborn deer.

Heph just asked this above.

Since creatures are now able to identify an opportunity to deal a decisive blow into whatever they're fighting, how will they behave when there's no special oportunities to say, hack someone's head off? Will they just fight normaly as they did, or they will try certain things, like disarming you or trying to put you off balance to achieve that opportunity for lethal damage?

Making the AI plan multi-stage maneuvers, like disarmament or putting you off balance in preparation for a strike, is probably not the kind of feature that would be implemented in a day, and it's not closely related to any of the features he did implement.  He'd have mentioned it.

how soon are there gonna be rewards,alfter finishing a mission?
like an object with moneytary value,or a bag `o gold?
people would like to have a MOTIVE to finish quests.

:)
well,how the hell are you gonna buy something,when you got no money?

This point was addressed in the devlog, and is one of the goals for the release:

Everybody in town will have something for you to do or be able to direct you somewhere definite, and you'll be remembered for what you do, which should allow you to move on to better things with more buddies, or give you a place to sleep safely at night.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:37 pm »

Will aimed attacks and wrestling attacks be organized with submenus?  Scrolling through 8 pages of possible wrestling moves (only 2 of which I ever use) becomes tiring.

Seems to me that first you select what you want to attack, then you select what you want to do to it. It's not perfect, but it's much better than, say, the current wrestling system.

Also I just noticed that with weapons with multiple attacks (such as slashing with a sword vs. stabbing or slapping), you can choose which action to use now. It makes a bunch of my mod weapons that exploited the randomness of that (along with blunt attacks being much less common) unfeasible now, but I can live with that.

EDIT: just thought of something:

Will all this aimed attack stuff be optional (i.e. toggled via a menu in-game)? It's great for tough battles, but when I'm fighting a horde of crundles it might be more efficient to turn off tactical combat for a few minutes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:12:37 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: November 01, 2010, 03:23:29 pm »

So... will I be able to bite people now?
Akur Akir Akam!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: November 01, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »

Toady what are views on gods and forces manifesting or rather having physical bodies whether it being their true body, Avatar, or even a avatar tied into their being? Will they ever appear? How powerful will they be?

This has come up before:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg852293;topicseen#msg852293
Quote from: Footkerchief
Some tidbits on the divine manifestation thing:

The elves aren't exactly monotheistic -- they believe in a force, not a deity, so it's a bit more like the animism you want, though not precisely (it's the spirit of the forest), or Star Wars before the bacteria worship.   They don't try to talk to the force, anyway, unlike the deity-worshippers in adv mode, and they'd mock anybody that tried (not that it takes much to set them off), though "feeling it" would certainly be fair game.  The force concept is specifically meant to allow supernatural activity without personification, although the random names are sometimes suggestive of a personification.  If the force were to manifest itself in the forest as a giant stag or something, it would be more like a deity, though when I get there, there is bound to be some fuzziness.
Now, the reason gods are treated like historical figures is so that eventually they can manifest and run around in worlds where they actually exist, but that won't be done until it's done.  There's nothing really preventing it from being the next thing to go in, but that's true of many, many things.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg853384;topicseen#msg853384
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Aqizzar
And while it's probably slated for much later, what kind of interaction is there between these physical demons and the gods civilizations come up with?  Presumably, those gods will eventually stop being so imaginary all the time.

I have no idea when the gods will become more real, but theoretically yeah, they'd have something to do with something.  That might be a good time to start randomizing the metaphysics and doing creation myths, instead of using the fixed model we've got now with titans + demons etc., so that the interactions can be more varied.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: November 01, 2010, 03:47:56 pm »

So... will I be able to bite people now?

There's options in the screenshots for biting and scratching, so that's a definite yes. Unless Toady was a sword-wielding groundhog hero or something.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: November 01, 2010, 05:10:37 pm »

Hmm, with a long creature such as an alligator you'd expect some bodyparts to be harder to reach due to your relative position. However in this screenshot all bodyparts say "Simple strike, direct hit".

VPellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: November 01, 2010, 05:15:38 pm »

in this screenshot all bodyparts say "Simple strike, direct hit".

I think that alligator is meant to be unconscious.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: November 01, 2010, 05:22:19 pm »

Hmm, with a long creature such as an alligator you'd expect some bodyparts to be harder to reach due to your relative position. However in this screenshot all bodyparts say "Simple strike, direct hit".

That was supposed to show how things work against an incapacitated creature.  I think.  Thus, since they are just lying there, you can lop any parts you want.  If you decide not to lop off their head, they could theoretically wake up minus body parts.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: November 01, 2010, 05:47:21 pm »

This has come up before

But not in a way that sufficiantly answers my question which is more about how gods will manifest in full and how powerful Toady really expects them to be since they can be anywhere from Megabeast strength, which makes sense given that some megabeasts actually were birthed from gods in myth and legends, to even so beyond that to the point where Toady would either make them unstoppable or simply not capable of existing in a real form. Then there is what risks a god actually takes when fighting in their physical form, for example if a god manifests are they even harmed by being defeated? and since Footkerchief commented Toady is very likely to skip over it.

Meaning that I may have to ask the same question... again...

*sigh*

Though maybe I should take it as a sign that I should elaborate or at least not be afraid of posting huge questions.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:49:29 pm by Neonivek »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 01, 2010, 06:45:25 pm »

-SNIP-

*sigh*

Though maybe I should take it as a sign that I should elaborate or at least not be afraid of posting huge questions.

Or maybe as Toady isn't doing nothing even nearly related to gods at the moment, he doesn't know yet what exactly he will implement when the time comes... and this is the reason most of us makes questions related to current developments.

Not that you shouldn't, just that Toady is more likely to given precise answers for questions about what he is doing.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 01, 2010, 07:01:07 pm »

That was supposed to show how things work against an incapacitated creature.  I think.  Thus, since they are just lying there, you can lop any parts you want.  If you decide not to lop off their head, they could theoretically wake up minus body parts.

This causes me to recall the discussion earlier about the deliberate amputations...

Urist McDoctor: "Now, Urist McSuperSoldier, declare me your enemy and allow me to knock you out. This will allow me to preform precision com- I mean, precision amputations. With my sword."
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 01, 2010, 07:14:14 pm »

Makes sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: November 01, 2010, 07:21:24 pm »

-SNIP-

*sigh*

Or maybe as Toady isn't doing nothing even nearly related to gods at the moment, he doesn't know yet what exactly he will implement when the time comes... and this is the reason most of us makes questions related to current developments.

Not that you shouldn't, just that Toady is more likely to given precise answers for questions about what he is doing.

Then I would only be asking him about his current development.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 01, 2010, 07:56:59 pm »

With the implementation of aimed attacks, will the previously mentioned aimed defending be far behind?

I'm asking this because, as awesome as aimed attacks are going to be, I'm afraid they might make most defenses ineffective and lead to even a moderately armored units being instantly killed when even a weak unit gets a lucky neck shot. Which would make progress in Adventure Mode incredibly difficult.

Granted, this may not be too big an issue depending on what decides difficulty in attacking certain body parts.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 01, 2010, 08:11:20 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/aim1.png

Judging by that pic I think its balanced to work with positioning (some say cant land squarely/cant connect) and the more vital areas seem difficult enough (head is difficult strike, most are normal, and arms are easy relative to position)...but then again this is one pic with minimal details....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:12:53 pm by dennislp3 »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 342