Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562671 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1740 on: November 05, 2010, 10:13:22 pm »

Underground castles pretty much solves the "how to make dwarf fortresses" bit. Also, with dwarves around, putting your castle partly underground for better down-facing defense may not be a bad idea.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: November 05, 2010, 10:25:05 pm »

Underground castles pretty much solves the "how to make dwarf fortresses" bit. Also, with dwarves around, putting your castle partly underground for better down-facing defense may not be a bad idea.
I was going to say exactly this. Of course, if they go deep enough to interact with caverns, there could be some trickiness. It used to be that visiting human towns near the ocean (or embarking on them) often had them collapse into the sea. There could easily be something similar here, except with disjointed bits of cavern dropping into the fortress, or underground water features insta-drowning them.

Are dwarf civ fortresses going to connect up to both underground roads and overground roads? Will they access the cave systems, maybe with guards posted, or even farm in them?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: November 05, 2010, 10:35:54 pm »

Where was this posted?

The dev log (vlog?) on the download page. If you checked it earlier today, you might have to F5 to refresh your cache to see the update.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: November 05, 2010, 11:55:23 pm »

I think, for some reason, the RSS feed was re-created.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: November 06, 2010, 05:55:37 am »

There it goes my weekend of playing the new version.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: November 06, 2010, 12:03:46 pm »

There it goes my weekend of playing the new version.

But at least we know what is going on and...
The longer we wait the better it gets ;)
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: November 06, 2010, 12:11:03 pm »

And the closer it gets. With each passing day the probability of a release increases.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1747 on: November 06, 2010, 03:43:25 pm »

Well, here's hoping it comes out on Monday or Tuesday, because I'm stranded in the uni library for 5 hours next Tuesday and this would be a nice way to kill time.

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: November 06, 2010, 08:34:11 pm »

After reading about the next update, I'm pretty sure I'll like it more than the DF2010 update.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: November 06, 2010, 10:49:49 pm »

After reading about the next update, I'm pretty sure I'll like it more than the DF2010 update.

Same here. While I do play fortress mode more often then adventurer, it is finally getting some love.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: November 07, 2010, 07:52:25 am »

Epic wall of text is Epic.

But this adventurer was only in the wild for 4 or 5 days if I count well, and had his hand lopped off and both his legs gored in a very bad way. It is obvious adventurers won't live a long life as it is. Toady, have you managed to throw in some sort of medical support or is it for a next time ?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: November 07, 2010, 07:55:54 am »

Loving these long adventurer logs Toady.   Big fan of adventure mode and all that sounds like a blast.

I'll just have to remember to kill any large reptiles that manage to get a name near castles.  I could just imagine you showing up a little later with the gator lounging on the throne with the crown on it's head surrounded by corpses.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: November 07, 2010, 08:45:01 am »

That was a truly incredible story. The fact that a story like it could be created by any skilled adventure is impressive, too. I remember Toady saying that he doesn't want a "cheap fantasy world", but rather a "cheap fantasy world generator". It looks like he's made leaps in that direction.

Will there be a raw tag to make a civ able to be wandering raiders, as the goblins are now?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: November 07, 2010, 09:24:04 am »

I'll just have to remember to kill any large reptiles that manage to get a name near castles.  I could just imagine you showing up a little later with the gator lounging on the throne with the crown on it's head surrounded by corpses.
"My Lord, what big teeth you have!"

Will there be a raw tag to make a civ able to be wandering raiders, as the goblins are now?
From the earlier quote that bandits will come from human and goblin civilizations, with dwarves and elves only if conquered by humans, I imagine that bandit risings for now depend on site type of the original civilization. A tag would be nice, though.

Goblin patrols of the actual civilization, though, that's new info, isn't it? Good that the goblin civs can be met again at least in some capacity.

Sleeping in groups - it would seem that no watch is set up yet, then. Makes sense if this would only come in when other commands can be issued.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: November 07, 2010, 12:31:07 pm »

After reading that story, I'm really curious what elements were "problems" that deserved being "fixed".  It wasn't Skinnyrends the Alligator of Ambition was it?  Because I love the idea of going out on a quest, only to come back and find the moat-croc also got a wild questing hair up his cloaca and decided to storm the castle, successfully.  It's not out of character, given the legendary hatred of statutes they hold.  It would have been even funnier if Skinnyrends was wearing the king's crown.

It's probably been asked a million times before: Now that individual groups can give up their entity associations, and elven prisoners can hang around castles, it sounds like those connections are a lot more malleable.  How close does that bring the program to multi-species player forts?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 342