Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562649 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1755 on: November 07, 2010, 12:49:03 pm »

After reading that story, I'm really curious what elements were "problems" that deserved being "fixed".

Things we didn't hear about, probably.

It's probably been asked a million times before: Now that individual groups can give up their entity associations, and elven prisoners can hang around castles, it sounds like those connections are a lot more malleable.  How close does that bring the program to multi-species player forts?

My guess is that there's little connection.  The game has long had affiliation changes and multi-species populations (e.g. goblin abductees), so that wasn't a barrier.  I think the obstacle for multiracial player fortresses has more to do with Fort Mode itself (UI, job system, etc) assuming that it only has to deal with one creature type.  Many of these problems can probably be easily addressed as long as the fort still has a "primary" species (e.g., which creature's tile/sprite do we display as an icon in the Z menu?), but if the fort gets seriously multiracial (like if humans start to outnumber dwarves) then it'll need further consideration.  Just one of those annoyingly broad overhauls.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: November 07, 2010, 12:50:35 pm »

Toady, have you managed to throw in some sort of medical support or is it for a next time ?

It would be cool if you could at least go to a village doctor's house and recieve treatment, at least until adventure mode hospitals and self-administered healing and medic companions are in.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: November 07, 2010, 12:51:40 pm »

I don't normally do much with adventure mode, but I'm really looking forward to trying out the new stuff!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 07, 2010, 12:54:50 pm »

But this adventurer was only in the wild for 4 or 5 days if I count well, and had his hand lopped off and both his legs gored in a very bad way. It is obvious adventurers won't live a long life as it is. Toady, have you managed to throw in some sort of medical support or is it for a next time ?

Adventure mode healing works the same as before:

Quote from: Rip0k
Will adventurer still heal during fast travel?

It's the same as it has been, until there are more options.  Depending on how the sleep stuff works out, you might have to sleep instead of having that go away automatically.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: November 07, 2010, 01:01:22 pm »

Oh my, its so beautiful. A companion display would also be greatly apreciated, so I'm loving the changes even more.

Minor question now: Do bands of bandits and patrols actualy travel the world map, are they like the encounters in the current version, o do they settle in certain places? Since site leaders are sending you after some, I would assume the first or the latter.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 07, 2010, 01:58:00 pm »

A question about patrols.
Does every civilisation get them? Is it possible to encounter one that is not hostile?
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: November 07, 2010, 02:01:17 pm »

Epic wall of text is Epic.

But this adventurer was only in the wild for 4 or 5 days if I count well, and had his hand lopped off and both his legs gored in a very bad way. It is obvious adventurers won't live a long life as it is. Toady, have you managed to throw in some sort of medical support or is it for a next time ?

It's possible the adventurer was really unlucky, or simply made mistakes; if he'd have run from the night creature after killing her mate, he would'd have lost the use of his arm, or his axe. Having anoter useful arm and a breastplate might have made his encounter with Strodno go a bit smoother. Not rushing in front of his meatshields would have helped too, and not leaving them to fend for themselves might have helped some of them survive. And his final fight with the minotaur might have been less catastrophic for his legs if he'd blown past the archer, leaving him for dead, and returned with his melee troops; the halberdier killed the bull without much help; imagine what the whole gang could do.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:24:46 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 07, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »

Wait.
Bronze slicing knife...
There are new weapon types n this release?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:02:35 pm by fivex »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1764 on: November 07, 2010, 03:39:17 pm »

So yeah, there are new weapons. So far I count 3. Boning knife, slicing knife, and meat cleaver. My guess is that the more evil people and monsters (goblins, demons, night creatures) will probably use more brutal weapons, like meat hooks, cleavers etc. Personally I really want to get my hands on one of those probably pretty epic meat cleavers the night creatures use.

BTW
Will there ever be a time when world gen NPC's and/or adventurers start naming their weapons? I think it would be really neat to pull up legends mode and look through it, find some sword that's been passed down through a family of kings and has a few hundred kills and then go on a quest to find this semi-artifact. It would be even more awesome for this to exist whenever magic is incorporated so that ancient weapons that have spilled a lot of blood can become both semi-artifact and magical. 

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: November 07, 2010, 04:04:44 pm »

iirc they do that already? Footkerchief correct me if i am wrong.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: November 07, 2010, 04:11:18 pm »

I don't think it happens in world gen yet, but I can't find a quote either way.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: November 07, 2010, 04:16:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure Footkerchief is right. Legends mode doesn't even show (perhaps not even record) what a world-gen historical figure makes its kills with. Attachment and naming only seems to happen in Dwarf mode currently. Depending on how the code works, your adventuring companions might be able to do it, but I believe Toady has said that he doesn't want to dictate how your adventurer feels in most situations, and thus the adventurer shouldn't become attached to weapons or name them. Historical figures naming their weapons seems to be an easy way to introduce world-gen artifacts, though.

(Another thing in a vaguely similar way would be seeing item corpses being kept around where it makes sense, such as a statue of a bronze colossus in the town square that had been terrorizing the town before a great hero managed to kill it. Or living weapons that leave behind normal weapons used by the killer and then passed through the different hands as death claims the current wielder. But that seems farther off.)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 07, 2010, 04:52:28 pm »

IANFC(I am not Footkerchief) but it doesn't look like worldgen tracks items other than stolen ones.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1769 on: November 07, 2010, 05:03:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure Footkerchief is right. Legends mode doesn't even show (perhaps not even record) what a world-gen historical figure makes its kills with. Attachment and naming only seems to happen in Dwarf mode currently. Depending on how the code works, your adventuring companions might be able to do it, but I believe Toady has said that he doesn't want to dictate how your adventurer feels in most situations, and thus the adventurer shouldn't become attached to weapons or name them. Historical figures naming their weapons seems to be an easy way to introduce world-gen artifacts, though.

(Another thing in a vaguely similar way would be seeing item corpses being kept around where it makes sense, such as a statue of a bronze colossus in the town square that had been terrorizing the town before a great hero managed to kill it. Or living weapons that leave behind normal weapons used by the killer and then passed through the different hands as death claims the current wielder. But that seems farther off.)
It would be nice to have the option to name our weapon in adventure mode after x number of kills. Not force us to, but just give us that opportunity. It would be pretty easy to do I think, just give us the naming screen and we can either press the random button till we find one we like or pick the parts from all the possibilities. 
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 342