Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1559496 times)

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1995 on: November 13, 2010, 11:00:34 am »

No, for me it would improve the immersion if I'd at least get hungry once and thirsty twice a day. Willpower, patience and toughness could allow longer food- and drinkless periods of time.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: November 13, 2010, 11:13:09 am »

Couldn't you just assume you're hunting and drinking while travelling?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: November 13, 2010, 11:25:50 am »

Couldn't you just assume you're hunting and drinking while travelling?

Well, let's assume we are travelling then while we are instantly teleported across the map.

Seriously, follow this line of thought and we will end with a ASCII Oblivion.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: November 13, 2010, 11:31:28 am »

So lemme get this straight.  Once the Caravan Arc is complete, we won't be able to simply dump physically absurd amounts of glass goblets onto the market indefinitely?
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: November 13, 2010, 11:33:19 am »

Just updated the rss feeds. I feel faint... Hooray for trading ^_^
*Hugs*

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: November 13, 2010, 11:39:54 am »

With ThreeToe's mention of pigs and chickens in the devlog and the November report... does that mean that the domestic animals, and any other tamed animals for that matter, will actually appear in adventure mode hamlets/towns again? 8)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: November 13, 2010, 11:43:07 am »

Toady, I've noticed you have used the term "we" a lot more lately when referring to the development of the game, and ThreeToe now appears to be posting on the dev log page. Given the page has also received an overhaul to show which one of you is posting the update, does this mean that ThreeToe will have a larger (or, better said, a more public) role in the development of DF?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: November 13, 2010, 11:53:40 am »

The release of 31.17 was a sucess amongst the playerbase, with few bugs and complains about the new mechanics. One of the complains is about the onipresence of bogeymen when alone at night. There will be some fine tuning about them in the future?

I myself would like some randomness in the likeness of bogeyman attacks. Wandering at night should be dangerous for various other reasons.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: November 13, 2010, 02:46:42 pm »

I just read the new dev log, and promptly flailed my arms around in excitement. This is going to be awesome!

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: November 13, 2010, 03:04:27 pm »

Is it just me, or are goblins having a real problem snatching children in history right now (they do it just fine in fort mode, as some newly-migrated couple with child had to find the hard way before they even entered my fort proper)? Looking through the sites of a few generated worlds, most non-empty dark fortresses - even those "owned" by non-goblin civilisations through conquest - have only goblin inhabitants, with the occasional boss demon here and there. In five worlds, I had one dark fortress with one human in it. That's it. Might be just me being a bit unlucky though ...

Yes, thank you for putting it into words.  I enjoy "mixed-race" civilizations (especially when I get to fight them), but recent world gen experimentation has resulted in little mixing, whether by babysnatching or warfare.

It looked like it had to do with crowding: with 40 civilizations in a medium map, humans captured a bunch of elf slaves, and goblins captured (I presume babysnatched) some humans.  With 30-35, I saw two human-captured dark fortresses with goblins and humans, and that was all.  With 20, nothing.  Zilch.

I prefer a smaller number of civilizations for aesthetic and sprawl-control reasons.  Is there something I'm missing?  A feature I can tweak in world generation to increase racial mixing and conquest?  Or did something change in this release that reduced interactions like babysnatching in history?

--Rexfelum

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: November 13, 2010, 04:21:04 pm »

New Adventure mode is great! I just can't stop playing.

Strange thing just happened to me. I was buying a bronze buckler, paid for it but forgot to pick it up and proceeded to another shop. When I realized my mistake I got back and the item just wasn't there. All of the sudden people didn't wanna talk to me like I did something wrong.
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: November 13, 2010, 04:43:12 pm »

Toady, I have a question... I had thought it was an oversight, but it's been going on so long...

In the old dev notes, you mentioned wanting dragon attacks to be righteous, with dragons flying around torching villages from above, picking people up and dropping them from great heights, and generally being really dangerous-- because of their wings. Yet default dragons in DF have been lacking wings for quite a while. Why? I know mythology has plenty of wingless dragons too... but now we have cave dragons, which I'd imagine to be the wingless kind. So why no wings on the regular dragons?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: November 13, 2010, 04:55:38 pm »

Toady, I have a question... I had thought it was an oversight, but it's been going on so long...

In the old dev notes, you mentioned wanting dragon attacks to be righteous, with dragons flying around torching villages from above, picking people up and dropping them from great heights, and generally being really dangerous-- because of their wings. Yet default dragons in DF have been lacking wings for quite a while. Why? I know mythology has plenty of wingless dragons too... but now we have cave dragons, which I'd imagine to be the wingless kind. So why no wings on the regular dragons?

IanFC but toady saidn one of the talks iirc that they lack the flying atm because the Ai and pathing for such an behavior is relativley hard.

Also buildings cant !!Burn!! down yet so i think even the ability would be awesome it would be rather useless.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: November 13, 2010, 05:19:12 pm »

Toady I recommend fixing these bugs for next time, pleaaaaaaaaaase, they're quite common, there are saves available and they're annoying.

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2796
"Soldiers cannot follow orders"

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=309
"Injured dwarves work normally and don't always get healed"
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2009 on: November 13, 2010, 05:46:14 pm »

Maybe there should be a voting mechanism in the bugtracker so we can see what the most irritating bugs are, independent of how severe they are.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 342