Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551656 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2010 on: November 13, 2010, 05:55:20 pm »

Is it just me, or do humans really really love building forts?  It's only a hundred and fifty years guys, I think you'd be better served by a few more towns and cities.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: November 13, 2010, 05:56:07 pm »

IanFC but toady saidn one of the talks iirc that they lack the flying atm because the Ai and pathing for such an behavior is relativley hard.

Also buildings cant !!Burn!! down yet so i think even the ability would be awesome it would be rather useless.

Yet we still have giant eagles with wings... not perfect, nor with all the grand AI to use it, but still there...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: November 13, 2010, 06:34:50 pm »

Is it just me, or do humans really really love building forts?  It's only a hundred and fifty years guys, I think you'd be better served by a few more towns and cities.
There's definitely some over-the-top fortress spam, I'd say. Two fortresses next to each other may be overkill, and it isn't all that rare.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: November 13, 2010, 06:54:14 pm »

There's definitely some over-the-top fortress spam, I'd say. Two fortresses next to each other may be overkill, and it isn't all that rare.

Actually, the issue turned out to be that particular patch of ocean shore is home to six different human civilizations on top of each other.

Which raises a question: Toady, how close are the entities to respecting borders, and war between civilizations of the same entity definition?  Human on human wars would be a nice touch here.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: November 13, 2010, 08:46:10 pm »

Is there a possibility that sooner rather then later, the fortress embark local map would be improved to show underground features and have the display alternate between displaying different features that are on the same map tile?

Considering the caravan arc will be getting worked on, it might be good to know where a cavern chasm is so you can get purring maggots and purring maggot cheese, or where underground magma pipes are for some fire snake trapping and selling of the semi-useless liquid fire extract, or hell, even where the underground civs have setup their camp so you can capture and sell them off. Surely those underground things would fetch a handsome price on the surface world market! Surely... :-\
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: November 13, 2010, 09:18:15 pm »

Pretty sure you can get purring maggots from anywhere in the caverns.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: November 13, 2010, 09:43:08 pm »

Playing as a hammerer, I bashed the hydra in the guts. The Hydra Vomited. Do Hydra's vomit from all of their heads at once, or is it just one head and the other heads continue to do their thing?
I'd have thought the easiest way to find out would be to 'l'ook at the Hydra just after the expulsion and see which heads are covered in vomit.

You wouldn't cover the case where one head vomits all over other heads. I'm pretty sure DF lacks a decent vomit physics engine.

But we don't know that yet, now do we? I love the smell of !!SCIENCE!! in the morning...

Playing as a hammerer, I bashed the hydra in the guts. The Hydra Vomited. Do Hydra's vomit from all of their heads at once, or is it just one head and the other heads continue to do their thing?

I shall sig this, if you don't mind. It perfectly reflects what's happening around this forum.

By all means, sig away.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: November 14, 2010, 08:14:56 am »

With the trade upgrades, will items you trade away ever return? For example, could you sell a masterwork steel sword to a human caravan, have that civ get angry with you, and have a soldier using that sword attack you?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: November 14, 2010, 08:55:31 am »

i wouldn't expect that any time soon. it probably wont track individual items, more like count the number of steel swords you inject in the market, or something. then again, masterworks could be a special case, but still, invaders would probably be generated with random equipment, even if they are themselves historical figures.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: November 14, 2010, 09:04:11 am »

i wouldn't expect that any time soon. it probably wont track individual items, more like count the number of steel swords you inject in the market, or something. then again, masterworks could be a special case, but still, invaders would probably be generated with random equipment, even if they are themselves historical figures.

Actually, the entire POINT of the caravan arc is to track individual items, or at least it was under the old dev list. That's the reason many of us have been eagerly awaiting it for some time, because tracking individual items is the basic framework needed for a lot of OTHER cool features we want.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 14, 2010, 10:13:56 am »

So lemme get this straight.  Once the Caravan Arc is complete, we won't be able to simply dump physically absurd amounts of glass goblets onto the market indefinitely?
I think threetoe's saying that the rest of the world will actually have to deal with that.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 14, 2010, 11:53:40 am »

So lemme get this straight.  Once the Caravan Arc is complete, we won't be able to simply dump physically absurd amounts of glass goblets onto the market indefinitely?
I think threetoe's saying that the rest of the world will actually have to deal with that.

Maybe it'll be possible. Maybe you'll just flood the market and everyone will use glass goblets and then because everyone uses them everyone will want them and you'll accumulate 90% of the world's wealth, causing an economic collapse and mass starvation until....

The dwarf caravans full of food roll out of your fortress. Then? World domination.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: November 14, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »

Just how in-depth will the caravan arc be? For example, if I flood the food market for years straight, will the populations of cities I trade with skyrocket to reflect the increased availability of food? And, if I were to suddenly cut off that access, will there be mass starvation? Also, will this, and, say, poisoning the food exports be viable ways to weaken others before trying to attack, when that comes up?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: November 14, 2010, 12:36:51 pm »

Other than the poisoning thing, that all seems to be based on the basic features of the caravan arc; basic supply/demand pricing, and food being realistically consumed by a population.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: November 14, 2010, 03:02:20 pm »

I hope we get some basic diplomatics too with the caravan and army arc. I would like to have some titan/demon/fb-governed Humans as my backup before i raise taxes for silk that goes through my lands.

Hmmm adding a adventure-tire to the UG-tribes does not work :( .
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:05:43 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 342