Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1559734 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2040 on: November 15, 2010, 04:15:36 am »

wow, I jumped along in the 40d series and after a year of sparingly fixes this flurry of feature filled release is making my head spin

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: November 15, 2010, 05:59:53 am »

Thanks again!

HUNTER will place them as a world gen beast.  You probably also need SPOUSE_CONVERTER on a caste for it to use it, and you'd want CONVERTED_SPOUSE on a caste as well.  Somebody mentioned this not working or causing world gen crashes, but I haven't reproduced it yet.
Yeah, I've mentioned that, but at least my crashes I've traced to a caste-heavy civ race, with the other testing apparently being random chance. Removing any two of the castes did resolve the crashes, though (it wasn't a problem with a specific caste as far as I can see), so maybe it was the bug mentioned on the dev page?

RULES_FROM_LOCATION should do it for any position, though they probably build extra castles even if you don't have positions for them.
Actually, it seems that lords and ladies are elevated even without the random position tag.

It was kind of annoying to see the state of the Threetoe article on the wiki, so we thought we'd try to reflect the work he's been doing a bit more evenly on the log.
*checks the wiki* Ugh, that horrible fan fiction accusation again? I've seen it in a comment on an interview before, but that it made it to the wiki? It's just silly. "Yeah, I like the gameplay of the recent Zelda games, and the fan fiction they put into the games is nice as well."

Regarding tools, they are currently not native to Dwarf mode, probably only appearing there with custom reactions. Do you think that the pick and similar things (shovels, felling axes, two-man saws...) will move over to the tool format with a tag to make them applicable for dwarf mode to allow some tool use there without it becoming overwhelming?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: November 15, 2010, 06:37:52 am »

Well you could ask the owner of the magma-wicky to remove the edit function for the Threetoe and Toady articles. I looked into the history of the article and it was indeed very unfair. Sure we dont see Threetoe coding but all that fantastic lore of the stock-universe would be not even half as awesome without him. Df wouldnt be ass fun as it is.

Did i get that right (since the question came up on the forum) That creature lairs behave as "Player created side" and stuff in there does in fact not scatter around?

That the dragons get more diversified is nice in my opinion i hope they get bonded to spheres a bit with some correlating ability's. Hehe this might be a nice central point of another threetoe story mayhaps?

edit:  ::) Damn tags.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:46:29 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: November 15, 2010, 07:20:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, thats what I had in mind. It would also be a nice change from the "kill this - kill that" quests. Players could be send to caves of very powerful creatures, which would be much too difficult to kill yet. They just have to sneak in, get the skull and run like hell if they are discovered. Maybe leave a peasant behind as a distraction. Next quest: retrieve peasant parts.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:21:52 am by Moddan »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: November 15, 2010, 07:24:19 am »

oh god, you're set for life!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: November 15, 2010, 08:04:49 am »

Further trading question.

Will trading a material to a civ give them limited access to that material in the same manner that it currently does for the player? For example, Vanilla Elves don't use metal. If I traded away large amounts of coke and steel bars to the elves, would they later show up with low quality steel equipment made from those bars? Similarly, will resource deposits become more important in worldgen, for example humans fighting elves to gain a tin deposit (once tin is properly rare again)?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: November 15, 2010, 08:09:38 am »

Hhnng I keep refreshing the devlog page every 15 minutes hoping for a .18 release
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: November 15, 2010, 08:35:15 am »

Hhnng I keep refreshing the devlog page every 15 minutes hoping for a .18 release

What are you expecting in .18?
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: November 15, 2010, 08:38:27 am »

Probably the trap bug fix.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: November 15, 2010, 09:27:58 am »

2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: November 15, 2010, 10:53:03 am »

*edit* Woops, wrong topic.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2051 on: November 15, 2010, 11:03:23 am »

Who else just started thinking about tea and improbability?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: November 15, 2010, 12:37:11 pm »

Will this be possible in future versions?

Quote from: Chatlog
A Zombie Goast: But really
A Zombie Goast: If the Dwarf grows attached to a weapon
A Zombie Goast: Or piece of armor
A Zombie Goast: And the Dwarf dies
A Zombie Goast: That thing should become haunted
A Zombie Goast: Or whatever they call it when an object has a ghost
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: November 15, 2010, 12:54:02 pm »

Anyhow

Thanks again Toady for answering our questions!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: November 15, 2010, 01:32:23 pm »

i noticed a small bug in site naming (i'll check the bugtracker later)

namely:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Goblin fortresses are now dark goblin dark fortresses, when ruined they become dark dark fortresses. Does this extra darkness have a connection to what the local goblins worship?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 342