Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561934 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2055 on: November 15, 2010, 02:00:25 pm »

Just a small bug that's already fixed for 31.18.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2056 on: November 15, 2010, 02:24:39 pm »

I just hope the goblins don't reclaim them again, making them dark goblin dark dark fortresses.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: November 15, 2010, 02:38:17 pm »

Be careful, or we'll end up with "FEL DARK GOBLIN DARK FEL UMBER FORTRESS" 

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: November 15, 2010, 02:42:09 pm »

Warning - while you were reading 21 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Wow.

Quote from: SirPenguin
Toady, I've noticed you have used the term "we" a lot more lately when referring to the development of the game, and ThreeToe now appears to be posting on the dev log page. Given the page has also received an overhaul to show which one of you is posting the update, does this mean that ThreeToe will have a larger (or, better said, a more public) role in the development of DF?

It was kind of annoying to see the state of the Threetoe article on the wiki, so we thought we'd try to reflect the work he's been doing a bit more evenly on the log.
The wiki doesn't really focus on design process too much. Really, if wiki article quality is assumed to accurately reflect the community's perception of a team member's importance, then Scamps is arguably the most important one out of everyone.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've been confused about 'worn' equipment in Adventure mode. Last time, I was running around with a Bronze Shield, Bronze Spear, Bronze Brestplate, and no less than 7 loincloths. And I had 8 more in my inv, along with a +Steel Breastplate+ that the game didn't seem to want me to wear. Is there some kind of... slot affinity chart, as pr Diablo/WoW/etc planned?
You can wear as many loincloths as you want, up to some crazy level. This is true in real life, too.
Wearing more than one breastplate at once is not likely to be possible. This is true in real life, too. But you can wear mail under plate.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: November 15, 2010, 03:19:01 pm »

Any plans for adventurers being able to contract specific armour/weapons with specific improvements in the next development arc?

I really want to give my companions some sort of standardised uniform, if only because spending the money on it'd give me something to do with all the loot at bandit camps these days.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: November 15, 2010, 05:21:57 pm »

Thanks for answering my questions Toady! I was going to sneak another one in, but I'll just ask it here:

Do you ever see allowing Dual-Wielding of weapons, and being able to effectively use them at the same time (as to just choosing to slash/stab/bash with Sword 1 or slash/stab/bash with Sword 2.) The bigger the creature the larger the items it could dual-wield, you could strike with both at once, etc.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: November 15, 2010, 05:59:57 pm »

New Mission: Make ThreeToe's page not suck.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: November 15, 2010, 06:09:51 pm »

Thanks for answering my questions Toady! I was going to sneak another one in, but I'll just ask it here:

Do you ever see allowing Dual-Wielding of weapons, and being able to effectively use them at the same time (as to just choosing to slash/stab/bash with Sword 1 or slash/stab/bash with Sword 2.) The bigger the creature the larger the items it could dual-wield, you could strike with both at once, etc.

i believe this is currently possible in adventure mode. When doing aimed attacks, you can select which weapon to attack with, and in certain situations one may be preferable to the other and the interface will let you know this. Dont know about striking with both at once, or bigger creatures and bigger weapons. Currently i think there are no bigger weapons. A dwarf (its bugged) wield a greatsword with one hand in the same way a human or a night creature could.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: November 15, 2010, 06:19:42 pm »

i believe this is currently possible in adventure mode. When doing aimed attacks, you can select which weapon to attack with, and in certain situations one may be preferable to the other and the interface will let you know this. Dont know about striking with both at once, or bigger creatures and bigger weapons. Currently i think there are no bigger weapons. A dwarf (its bugged) wield a greatsword with one hand in the same way a human or a night creature could.

Yeah, Toady addressed this himself last week:

Quote from: JoRo
Seeing as the example screenshots showed kicking as an attack of opportunity, does this mean that you could wield multiple weapons and make occasional attacks with your off hand?

Yeah, you can use whichever weapon you like whenever you like, and opportunities come up with either one.  If you just press toward the enemy, the wielded weapon will be preferred, but it'll use your offhand item if a good opportunity comes up.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
Re: Bugfixes!
« Reply #2064 on: November 15, 2010, 06:25:27 pm »

Hurray for the recent bugfixes! <3

We all love new features, but the sheer level of bugs has me liking the bug fixes a great deal more.
Is there a Month of Bugfixes planned?

It'll be drudgery, for sure, but the the current amount of bugs keeping a lot of players from playing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:06:15 pm by Naros »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: November 15, 2010, 06:39:20 pm »

Quote from: Toady
laying of objects
Sweeeet. Can't wait to start making my explosive flaming eggs and minelayer monsters.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: November 15, 2010, 06:51:45 pm »

Is three any chance of restoring compatibility with older Windows versions?

As another user mentioned (albeit in the wrong thread), the game now fails to launch on XP-SP1 with the following message:
---------------------------
Dwarf Fortress.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point DecodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.
OK   
Akur Akir Akam!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: November 15, 2010, 06:55:41 pm »

Hehe i can see it clearly now

You eat some egg and suddenly a angry Female Snake/Lizard-men runs up to you and shouts "You killed my baby" wile ripping out your throat.

Eggs are indeed nice since they may make taming dragonish and lizardisch things rather easy. Steal one or two (dozen) and begin a breeding program. Spiders did lay eggs too but more the gelatinous kind. Lizard and Snake-men may not be as strong as dwarves but they have other advantages like having poison so they may be a viable option for multiracial forts. 

Hey there are some "all female" species of lizards in the real world (they do it by cloning) hehe i wonder how that would work with dragons. I hope toady makes it so that from one egg multiple nastys can spring up.

Explosive eggs can be down if you make the material inside areal hot gas. I hope the eggshells detach form the infant (of whatever species) as container which the infant has to destroy.

edit: Guys bugs into the Bugtracker please. Toady has installed it exactly for that purpose.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:57:55 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: November 15, 2010, 07:18:52 pm »

I'm actually enjoying adventuremode now! great stuff. :D
Thanks T1.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: November 15, 2010, 07:29:11 pm »

i believe this is currently possible in adventure mode. When doing aimed attacks, you can select which weapon to attack with, and in certain situations one may be preferable to the other and the interface will let you know this. Dont know about striking with both at once, or bigger creatures and bigger weapons.
I don't think there's a way to strike with both at once. I did, however, sneak into a moon man mate's cave, picked up his ladle and carving fork, and alternated using them to tear him to pieces. On a related note,
When will there be a raws tag for bodyparts that should be able to be levered or popped out, e.g. eyeballs?
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 342