Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561290 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2100 on: November 16, 2010, 12:50:39 pm »

Hmm let me see

Toady eventually will the NPCs start to notice that anyone who rides with you essentially meets and untimely end and thus refuse your recruitment on the basis that you are probably more deadly then all the Megabeasts, Demons, and Goblins combined and actually tell you that is the reason? At that point how would you recover your reputation if possible?

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: November 16, 2010, 01:47:45 pm »

Hmm let me see

Toady eventually will the NPCs start to notice that anyone who rides with you essentially meets and untimely end and thus refuse your recruitment on the basis that you are probably more deadly then all the Megabeasts, Demons, and Goblins combined and actually tell you that is the reason? At that point how would you recover your reputation if possible?

Well the meatshields *DO* ask you to lead them to death and glory.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: November 16, 2010, 04:01:54 pm »

Come on, they always say "consider torture" or "experience death". Why should they not want to follow you?

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: November 16, 2010, 05:13:44 pm »

I was wondering, and forgive me for reduplicating a question if that is the case here...

When the economic/caravan arc is in place, will you consider again the possibility of a non-catastrophic game ending for a fortress?  IE, would be be able to quit a fortress game without abandoning the fortress, so that our adventurers can enjoy some of the things we have released on the market, and perhaps go to the fortress and buy them?

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: November 16, 2010, 05:25:17 pm »

I was wondering, and forgive me for reduplicating a question if that is the case here...

When the economic/caravan arc is in place, will you consider again the possibility of a non-catastrophic game ending for a fortress?  IE, would be be able to quit a fortress game without abandoning the fortress, so that our adventurers can enjoy some of the things we have released on the market, and perhaps go to the fortress and buy them?

That would indeed be nice. I'm pretty sure it's planned.

I can't wait to build a massive farming fortress to flood the markets with cheap food.

Or imagine being hit with a particularly hard forgotten beast, and calling for heroes, and one of your old champions arrives at your door. Dwarfowolf!
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: November 16, 2010, 05:48:58 pm »

Toady has touched on this before (albeit a long time ago):

I know there's a lot of problems with visiting a "real" fortress with an adventurer [...]
I'd rather handle this properly when I get to it instead of spending time on a half measure that won't necessarily be related to the completed feature.  The adventure mode dwarf fortresses aren't completed and retired player fortresses should work with the same mechanics as these, so I have to do adv mode dwarf fortresses first.  Since I'm going to do those using the mechanics in place from dwarf mode, it might be easier to see the path forward to reversing these procedures when that's done.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: November 16, 2010, 05:52:38 pm »

It's really hard for an AI to judge 'player intent'.  Right now, NPC towns don't need any real managing over time--if you set fire to something, it's going to burn, and nobody ever changes jobs, resources aren't expended, etc.  Surely the caravan arc will start making some headway in that direction for NPC towns, but yeah, NPC towns need to be as smart as fortresses before you can even remotely consider going the other way.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: November 16, 2010, 07:35:36 pm »

Well they don't need to produce exaggerated contraptions for irrigation or huge monuments, but yea, they should at least eat, drink, farm, eact to threats and sleep in a proper bed.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: November 16, 2010, 10:41:20 pm »

Will it ever be possible for nobles to give your adventurer quests that involve raiding/sieging goblins/warring entities? Would that ever affect the world (ie they appear in Legends as sieges, winning results in the target location to be owned by your parent civilization, etc)? If so, how long do you think this would take to implement.

Although I know nothing about game coding, I assume it can't be too hard to throw in a new type of quest like this.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: November 17, 2010, 08:27:15 am »

Now that the caravan arc is on the focus for November, does that mean you're going to revisit stacking (and restacking)?

What about dwarves currently refusing to wear clothes? (Hard to get a clothing market going on when no one ever needs new clothes)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: November 17, 2010, 10:07:46 am »

Quote from: devlog
Next will be the consumption of the resources, meaning lots of starving peasants. Eventually you'll be able to save the day with your caravan of needed prickle berries.

And by "save the day," I hope he means "extort massive sums of money and eventually get lynched by the townspeople."

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2111 on: November 17, 2010, 11:19:39 am »

Of course.  You're right.  I don't know what I was thinking.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: November 17, 2010, 11:50:20 am »

Your thinkage was absolutely right but you overestimate the average df players altruism. We love the pawns that are dorfs, humans, elves etc. as long as they are our pawns.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2113 on: November 17, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »

You've never had a fort on the brink of starvation, with absolutely no food in store, only to be saved by a passing caravan?

It is time to repay the favour.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: November 17, 2010, 12:48:06 pm »

Mmmmmm... prickle berries :3
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 342