Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1559937 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2115 on: November 17, 2010, 01:30:51 pm »

You've never had a fort on the brink of starvation, with absolutely no food in store, only to be saved by a passing caravan?

It is time to repay the favour.

Yeah, I can't wait to send a 100-man-strong caravan to an elf civilization on the brink of starvation, pull up in the depot, and say "Behold! CLOTH!"
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: November 17, 2010, 01:50:33 pm »

Anybody have details on what the Caravan Arc is? Also, if there is any place or post which shows all the arcs that are planned? It'd be cool just to check it out

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: November 17, 2010, 02:04:27 pm »

Anybody have details on what the Caravan Arc is? Also, if there is any place or post which shows all the arcs that are planned? It'd be cool just to check it out

The development page has all that stuff:

Quote from: dev.html
Adventurer Role: Trader

* Site resources
          o Track resources in quantity instead of just by type
          o Should depend on trade/tribute relationships as well as available professions and sprawl sites
    * World economy
          o Supply/demand based on current available entity resources etc.
          o Expand on trade/tribute relationships formed in world generation
          o Realize trade/tribute relationships with actual caravans moving on the map
          o Ability to get some supply/demand information about nearby locations from travelers and others
          o Ability to get that information yourself and trade it to merchants, especially as explorer
          o Replace dwarf mode generated caravans with actual caravans
          o Improved dwarf mode trade agreements
    * Ability to lead a trade caravan
          o Ability to load stuff onto pack mules
          o Ability to hire bodyguards
          o Wagon/wagon teams (might do some teleportation travel with them to avoid annoyances for now)
          o Being able to trade from wagons, large markets might have people to move objects more quickly
    * Mansions for sale
          o Might have to get information about struggling nobles
    * Court
          o Attaining a certain level of wealth and property should help with access to powerful people, though we have yet to decide what if anything this will grant you in the short term

The old dev notes are where the term "Caravan Arc" comes from, and they still provide some interesting context:

Quote from: dev_single
# CARAVAN ARC: As a prelude to armies, we'll have caravans actually move around the world map rather than just appear at your outpost. They'll move between each city on the map, though we'll try to stay away from supporting a real economy for the time being. You should be able to find items you traded in your fortress in adventure mode, and a caravan could come to your fortress with an adventure mode item. Related to Core3, Core38, Core81, Req21, Req132, Req133, Req175, Req204, Req218, Req220, Req260, Req279, Req364, Req463, Req516, Req555, Bloat155, Bloat263, Bloat267, PowerGoal24, PowerGoal33, PowerGoal56 and PowerGoal148.

# Core3, CARAVANS, (Future): Use resource tracking and the adventurer travel infrastructure to set up groups of traders that go between sites. Make sure to respect the current flow of the dwarf game, though caravans will no longer be 'generated' when needed. Related to entity knowledge transfer if we are there by this time. The trading done by caravans would interface with the resource tracking system and thus be immediately available to adventurers. This includes items traded away by your dwarf fortress, although it's possible they could be abstracted a bit if they are too numerous. Requires Core38.

# Core38, SITE RESOURCES, (Future): The objects at a site need to be tracked in an abstract form so that the world can use them without loading up the site files. The different profession holders working at a town in world-gen and then during play should be able to produce and use resources based on these stockpiles and local map propertioes. Any changes could be applied to existing site files retroactively when they are loaded. Stores should restock their inventories. The objects need to be separated based on the entity that owns them, since several entities can potentially operate at one site.

# Core81, TRIBUTE, (Future): The tribute relationships established during world generation should be fleshed out there and then brought into regular play with tribute being transported across the map. These could also occur as part of dwarf mode diplomacy and dwarf mode world map play.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: November 17, 2010, 02:23:28 pm »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: November 17, 2010, 06:03:16 pm »

Oddly enough, the old dev page also has all the info off the old dev page.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: November 17, 2010, 07:20:33 pm »

It, the main-page with the old devs, was offline/unreadable at the time i did that wikipage. Thankfully i got a help with some of the formating.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: November 17, 2010, 07:43:11 pm »

Speaking of the old devs, did Toady ever elaborate on the "And more, and worse" stuff? Regardless of how bad it was, it can't be any worse than the random poetry generator he threatened us with.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: November 17, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »

The last guy who asked this ... well lets say the last time i spoke to him he was on a couple of drugs in a nice warm padded room. No shit. It did ... brake ... him mentally. I can hear him scream in my dreams and his eyes ... these glassy dark eyes. I couldnt bear it GOD DAMN I COULDNT BEAR IT. More then a year has past and i couldnt bring myself to visit him  :-[ .
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: November 17, 2010, 08:13:27 pm »

It weeds out the weak.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: November 18, 2010, 12:46:42 am »

So whats the deal with the military tactics skill...you have plans for that? is it already a working skill that affects things or just something thats there for late?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: November 18, 2010, 01:29:04 am »

So now that the Dev Log is a more general thing and not a single-contributor thingy, might others (Baughn, for example) also end up with the ability to post there?

Although now that I think of it, I haven't seen Baughn around or heard of him doing anything lately. Since ttf was first implemented, which was a bit ago now.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: November 18, 2010, 02:54:49 am »

He got a job working for google recently and that has had him tied up a bit

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: November 18, 2010, 03:04:04 am »

He got a job working for google recently and that has had him tied up a bit
Well that makes sense, then. Good for him!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: November 18, 2010, 03:17:18 am »

Speaking of the old devs, did Toady ever elaborate on the "And more, and worse" stuff? Regardless of how bad it was, it can't be any worse than the random poetry generator he threatened us with.

that would be perfect for the philosopher return

ribosom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: November 18, 2010, 06:05:41 am »

that would be perfect for the philosopher return

That reminds me of something...

http://www.tandj.net/~jpoirier/little_hacks/kant/
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 342