Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1559599 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2160 on: November 18, 2010, 11:08:41 pm »

Your equipment is complete, you shove all your military items into the Abstractor Logistics Chest where they get remembered as "300 Exceptional Steel Axes", "300 Superior Steel Chainmails", "300 Finely-crafted Bronze High Boots" and so on. Again, decorations are forgotten or maybe they'll be kept in some abstracted way like 'they are all decorated with goblin bone' and the game will decide whether that means spikes, hanging rings or an image when the player asks to look closely at the item again.
Just wanted to say I really like your ideas and hope the game ends up looking something like that, but is this kind of abstraction necessary? I thought one of the goals of the caravan arc was to track individual items after they exit your fortress. (Or is that still the case? I haven't been paying attention as much in recent months. Footkerchief?)

The caravan arc is still slated to track individual items, yes:

Quote from: Lord Shonus
With the trade upgrades, will items you trade away ever return? For example, could you sell a masterwork steel sword to a human caravan, have that civ get angry with you, and have a soldier using that sword attack you?

This is the eventual idea, however, it might not happen until they are pulling armies from the entity populations.  So if not the next major release, then the one after that.  It could be that armies are still generated but draw items from the stockpiles for the next release in a sort of hybrid approach, but I'm not sure how it is going to end up.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: November 19, 2010, 12:21:26 am »

Did I just read that the detail of vomit is going to increase to the point that we can see the carrots plump helmets in the spew?

AWESOME

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: November 19, 2010, 02:24:49 am »

LOL yeah the detail of vomi has me a bit perplexed....but im not complaining!

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: November 19, 2010, 04:30:55 am »

Wait.

. . .
Right now it uses your fullness counter, which is related to when you last ate, as well as an auxiliary counter that is supposed to simulate fluids or something.  Ideally this will take care of itself when we have things like . . .

Wait.

. . . an auxiliary counter that is supposed to simulate fluids or something.  . . .

He doesn't know what it isHe just knows it makes you vomit.

--Rexfelum

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: November 19, 2010, 04:33:05 am »

Wait.

. . .
Right now it uses your fullness counter, which is related to when you last ate, as well as an auxiliary counter that is supposed to simulate fluids or something.  Ideally this will take care of itself when we have things like . . .

Wait.

. . . an auxiliary counter that is supposed to simulate fluids or something.  . . .

--Rexfelum

The magic of Dwarf Fortress. It's so complex, even the Daddy/Developer/Programmer doesn't know what half of the stuff does.
*Hugs*

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: November 19, 2010, 05:19:03 am »

Wait.

. . .

Wait.

--Rexfelum

The magic of Dwarf Fortress. It's so complex, even the Daddy/Developer/Programmer doesn't know what half of the stuff does.
The problem with that statement is that it doesn't necesarily imply any huge complexity, just inadequate commenting.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: November 19, 2010, 05:21:23 am »

Fair point. I was trying, however, to paint it in an optimistic/complimentary light.
*Hugs*

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: November 19, 2010, 06:31:09 am »

I don't know what the bulletin board does.  There's that dev page thing about inquiring regarding supply/demand situations, which is probably going to have some partial implementation in this release.  Other than that, you'll be able to move stuff around and make ends meet, first release, though there still aren't a lot of ends.  And yeah, the situation might end up complicated and a bit untidy for you.

Thanks for dignifying my pseudo-question with an answer! Complicated and untidy works for me.

The bulletin board in Elite 2 was one of the options you got at any space station / starport. This listed postings from randomly generated people / charities / organisations who wanted things. Options included:
- I will buy robots / nerve gas etc. at a premium price.
- Anybody want to go and kill someone for me?
- Work for the military! Earn money and Glory!
- Give money to charity!

It was a viable option at some systems for offloading high demand goods to individuals at a premium price, rather than just offloading them at the stockmarket.

I don't know if it's viable to include something like this, perhaps a noteboard adjacent to the town trading depot, or even if it would add to gameplay. Wanted posters stuck to the town noteboard would be cool, though. Especially when you see your own description there.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: November 19, 2010, 07:33:54 am »

Your equipment is complete, you shove all your military items into the Abstractor Logistics Chest where they get remembered as "300 Exceptional Steel Axes", "300 Superior Steel Chainmails", "300 Finely-crafted Bronze High Boots" and so on. Again, decorations are forgotten or maybe they'll be kept in some abstracted way like 'they are all decorated with goblin bone' and the game will decide whether that means spikes, hanging rings or an image when the player asks to look closely at the item again.
Just wanted to say I really like your ideas and hope the game ends up looking something like that, but is this kind of abstraction necessary? I thought one of the goals of the caravan arc was to track individual items after they exit your fortress. (Or is that still the case? I haven't been paying attention as much in recent months. Footkerchief?)
Toady did say that tracking individual items after they exit the fortress is the ideal but whether he'll need to abstract a bit to comprompise with reality is uncertain at this point. I guess with a few thousand items in the Logistics Chest this is still feasible but what of a fort that has shipped out 100,000 prepared meals over the course of several years?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: November 19, 2010, 09:09:16 am »

I don't know what the bulletin board does.  There's that dev page thing about inquiring regarding supply/demand situations, which is probably going to have some partial implementation in this release.  Other than that, you'll be able to move stuff around and make ends meet, first release, though there still aren't a lot of ends.  And yeah, the situation might end up complicated and a bit untidy for you.

Thanks for dignifying my pseudo-question with an answer! Complicated and untidy works for me.

The bulletin board in Elite 2 was one of the options you got at any space station / starport. This listed postings from randomly generated people / charities / organisations who wanted things. Options included:
- I will buy robots / nerve gas etc. at a premium price.
- Anybody want to go and kill someone for me?
- Work for the military! Earn money and Glory!
- Give money to charity!

It was a viable option at some systems for offloading high demand goods to individuals at a premium price, rather than just offloading them at the stockmarket.

I don't know if it's viable to include something like this, perhaps a noteboard adjacent to the town trading depot, or even if it would add to gameplay. Wanted posters stuck to the town noteboard would be cool, though. Especially when you see your own description there.
In Elite 3, the BB also gave special missions that didn't fit the standard model.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: November 19, 2010, 09:42:53 am »

Toady did say that tracking individual items after they exit the fortress is the ideal but whether he'll need to abstract a bit to comprompise with reality is uncertain at this point. I guess with a few thousand items in the Logistics Chest this is still feasible but what of a fort that has shipped out 100,000 prepared meals over the course of several years?

Those items are all tracked already, or at least they used to be.  Back in 40d it was possible to find caravans hanging out in human towns, full of fortress-made glassware etc., although they usually got slaughtered as soon as you saw them, due to civ allegiance bugs.

The bigger hazard for item tracking is probably the even larger numbers of world gen items.  That will get abstracted, no doubt.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: November 19, 2010, 09:48:24 am »

Instead of a bullitin board, I'd rather the player has to search out these persons who would pay extra in person.

So the easy way to make money is to
-goto the Depot of a site which has a deficit on the type of stuff you got.
but to make more money:
-talk to people and hope someone offers more.
-talk to people at location X, get a contract to deliver A goods of type B, material C and minimal quality D to location Y in Z days time.

(A compass marker for special locations/persons while on-site, would be appreciated by the way.)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: November 19, 2010, 10:09:34 am »

Instead of a bullitin board, I'd rather the player has to search out these persons who would pay extra in person.

but to make more money:
-talk to people at location X, get a contract to deliver A goods of type B, material C and minimal quality D to location Y in Z days time.

(A compass marker for special locations/persons while on-site, would be appreciated by the way.)

or, shady dealers could approach players before they reach the city.

it could also be another class of night creature feeding on people suffer, that propose you to sell all your food to it at a premium price so that the city would remain in dire despair. or another competing civ. or a lawyer.

they could use the same intercept code that ambushes uses.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2173 on: November 19, 2010, 12:35:31 pm »

=============
||"You feel uneasy"||
=============

Lawyer: Howdy!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: November 19, 2010, 04:10:07 pm »

but to make more money:

or, shady dealers could approach players before they reach the city.

it could also be another class of night creature feeding on people suffer, that propose you to sell all your food to it at a premium price so that the city would remain in dire despair. or another competing civ. or a lawyer.

they could use the same intercept code that ambushes uses.
Or conmen who give you fake currency or shoddy goods in exchange, which you'd need some suitable merchant skill (be it Observer or Negotiation) to spot beforehand.

Then imagine coming across foreign mandates too - "No Importing of bronze items!" Which then invites a black market. Yeah - lotttttttttttttts can be done with the caravan arc depending on what Toady wants to do and to what depth.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 342