Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562630 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2220 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:54 pm »

Toady has yet to figure out a way to make non-creature stuff able to move, and a way to make multi tile creatures. So it'll be a little while till we have working caravans. When thats in though, a huge framework for alot of other stuff becomes availiable.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: November 22, 2010, 09:21:38 pm »

Honestly, I think wagons will come back a lot sooner than siege towers come in, and that tunneling enemies might even come in before siege towers.  And tunneling enemies will certainly come in before player-designed siege-tower-like structures.

My reasoning?  Wagons can act like a creature and be fine.  Siege towers have to contain creatures, protect them, and have complicated AI and path weirdly (granting access to upper levels etc).  Once dwarves can make their own custom stuff though, enemies need to be able to destroy them...preferably piece-by-piece.  And I figure that's on the same level as letting enemies chip away at constructed walls.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: November 22, 2010, 11:08:46 pm »

If things were tracked separately, it could lead to oddities like warthog leather having the value of platinum, just because there's no civilisation yet that has an access to warthogs.
Scarcity isn't the sole determinant of value.  If warthog leather were not only rare but extremely beautiful or tough or whatever, it might make sense for it to have the value of platinum.  It could be valued for its leatheriness as well, but I don't see a reason for that to be an overriding factor.
  Do you think Toady's going to go the whole way and make sure to differentiate between value and price like in reality? And, how will you define value? Using the extended labor definition?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: November 23, 2010, 02:30:19 am »

Seeing as this is Dwarf Fortress. Most likely yes.
*Hugs*

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: November 23, 2010, 01:46:30 pm »

Proper burial is now somewhat more encouraged. An alternative form of memorial has been made available for those whose bodies you have misplaced.

Will we encouter the 'encouragements' for burial in old 31.xx forts moved to 31.18, or do we need to regen a new world?

Thanks

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: November 23, 2010, 02:09:51 pm »

Proper burial is now somewhat more encouraged. An alternative form of memorial has been made available for those whose bodies you have misplaced.

Will we encouter the 'encouragements' for burial in old 31.xx forts moved to 31.18, or do we need to regen a new world?

Thanks

Generally the release threads in the DF Announcements forum are a better place for questions that are release-specific and can be answered by players.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: November 23, 2010, 05:47:35 pm »

Will it be possbile to hire a band of mercinaries to go over and attack our rivals caravan therefor we get more profits due to less items being in the market? In other words "Eliminating the competition"
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: November 23, 2010, 06:28:38 pm »

Shall the repercussions of not burying dead, ever expand beyond ghosts?  For instance prolonged time above ground, being desecrated, or large numbers of un buried dead becoming ghouls or zombies hostile to your fort?
Nom nom nom

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: November 23, 2010, 07:26:23 pm »

Yet another question for the Toady One.

will there be adventurer made sites anytime soon?, and if so will purchased livestock respect the borders of your land,as in not wandering away while you go off to kill some bandits?

If/while we don't have adventurer made sites how will livestock management work?, will there be stables in towns that you pay to take care of and/or store any owned animals?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 02:45:14 pm by 1freeman »

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: November 23, 2010, 09:36:41 pm »

I'm curious about whether Toady has any plans for full-world embarks for fortress mode, similar to adventure mode. This makes sense, with the Caravan and Army Arcs coming up, but I want to be sure before jumping to any conclusions.

Man, that would be absolutely amazing if true.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: November 23, 2010, 10:22:18 pm »

I'm curious about whether Toady has any plans for full-world embarks for fortress mode, similar to adventure mode. This makes sense, with the Caravan and Army Arcs coming up, but I want to be sure before jumping to any conclusions.

What do you mean by "full world embark"?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: November 23, 2010, 11:19:21 pm »

What do you mean by "full world embark"?

Instant 0 FPS.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:42 pm »

I'm thinking something along the lines of maybe an adventure mode map for Fortress mode. Not loading everything at once, but still allowing your Dwarves to pillage elven civilizations from accross the continent.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: November 24, 2010, 12:13:00 am »

I'm thinking something along the lines of maybe an adventure mode map for Fortress mode. Not loading everything at once, but still allowing your Dwarves to pillage elven civilizations from accross the continent.
Actually I sorta like his question. It sorta goes with being able to zoom in on other sites to direct your raids, so I'm sure much of the same system would be involved.

Its more or less "Can Fortress Mode be given the same capability as Adventurer mode to zoom out of the map to see other locations and plausibly expand beyond the original embark."

I suppose it would be simply the ability to acquire/release adjacent tiles, expanding your embark from 2x2 to 2x3 to 3x3 and so forth, perhaps even offloading parts of the fortress. This may result in some map-edge abuse but would greatly expand Fortress mode's capability for expansion.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:16:18 am by Ranzear »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: November 24, 2010, 12:23:32 am »

Man, that sounds complicated to manage.  You'd really have to expand burrows to do that!  You'd have these mega-burrows, let's call them "fortresses".  And I guess to keep the FPS load down and keep dwarves from doing *entirely* brain-dead things like fetching a gem from fifty miles away, you'd want to set it up so that you only controlled one of these "fortresses" at a time...

;D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 342