Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561079 times)

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2295 on: November 26, 2010, 01:19:52 pm »

Elves eat their dead.
And I don't really think the Goblins live in cities of thousands. They are more likely to have a smallish fortress that contains a few dozen gobbos, and everyone else is out raiding the neighbors or hunting down the wildlife.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: November 26, 2010, 01:22:27 pm »

"eating their dead" is just to avoid waste. It's not a sustainable food source. Goblins would keep flocks, hunt, and raid to meet their food needs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: November 26, 2010, 01:29:34 pm »

I'm curious as to the rate of expansion/decline of elven populations. Are more elves born than die in wars or less? If it's less, eating the dead could be viable as a food source.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: November 26, 2010, 01:45:34 pm »

I've got another question for you toady.

Will adventurers ever be able to become a leader of a civ or group?, like becoming a bandit leader and recruiting people into the ranks of your bandit army and have them do raids and give you the goods that they looted. or become a ranking general for a civ and lead raids against enemy forces.

Yes, this is planned:

# AFFILIATION ARC: You should be able to rise to the top of an entity (civilization, town, etc.) in adventure mode. While the full set of responsibilities that would entail will have to wait, it should at least be possible to attain this status for the first version. You should be able to do things for individuals. This could earn you favors from sleeping in their home and food gifts all the way to a marriage offer. There can be smaller entities like bandits and cults which could offer more unsavory tasks for similar privileges (steal, kill, kidnap, etc.). Can earn right to sleep in the large hall in town if you've become affiliated with them, but vagrancy needs to be punished and the camping must be harsher before this is meaningful. Related to Core64, Core65, Core71, Req586, Req587, Bloat163, PowerGoal12, PowerGoal19, PowerGoal27, PowerGoal37, PowerGoal41, PowerGoal42, PowerGoal44, PowerGoal48 and PowerGoal54.

# Core65, ADVENTURER SITE AFFILIATIONS, (Future): When you perform a task for an entity, you currently can an affiliation with it, but that's all. This needs to be expanded greatly. Not only should you be given various positions of responsibility, but you should also become accepted by the group in question and given some way of obtaining living space, equipment, pay, etc. as appropriate. It would also be good for tasks to be appropriate for the goals of the entity, and where possible, to soften the notion of a task -- if you do something that benefits a group, even if the group didn't explicitly ask for it, this should raise your standing with them in general (to the extent that the action/benefit is detectable from a technical standpoint), and a person at an appropriate position within a group should in some circumstances be able to act under their own power with entity subordinates. The primary target entities/positions here for version 1 are soldiers (either proper ones or loosely defined mead hall groups), caravan guards, bandits and religious groups.

# Core71, BANDITS AND CULTS, (Future): It's important to have groups acting on their own or generally causing trouble without necessarily belonging to an entirely different civilization. Bandits and cults are good choices to start. Bandits could harass or make demands of an early fortress, cults could spring up in a later one, and the adventurer could end up a member or an adversary.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: November 26, 2010, 05:46:34 pm »

Well Metalmines in Worldgen could imply actual veins over multiple Z levels and lengths, maybe strip-mines. I mean more like real life veins and seams. With them i could be easier for a Ai to break into the caverns take the animal-people hostage and use them as slaves.

I like how Metal Mines leads directly to wholesale slavery. These forums rock.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: November 26, 2010, 08:28:05 pm »

One thing that concerns me with trading becoming a more integral part of a stable fortress is my front gate.

<..>

the traders ask for entrance, and if you agree, you have an ingame day-long period to open your gates before they get pissed off and leave. The current "oh we saw your gates were shut from the other side of the valley yonder, so we didn't bother coming" situation does not make much sense IMO. Of course my gates were shut, that is what gates are for. Shutting.

With the new more important caravans, will we be able to keep our doors closed most of the year, and get a grace period for opening up when the caravans arrive on the edge of the map? This would allow more security whilst minimising lost trade opportunities.

+1

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: November 26, 2010, 09:11:03 pm »

Well Metalmines in Worldgen could imply actual veins over multiple Z levels and lengths, maybe strip-mines. I mean more like real life veins and seams. With them i could be easier for a Ai to break into the caverns take the animal-people hostage and use them as slaves.

Quite historically accurate.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: November 27, 2010, 02:26:00 am »

Ah quite so...

I remember when Debris cracked into the first cave system, for their diamonds, and forced the animal men locals to continue on with the mining.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: November 27, 2010, 06:46:18 pm »

Ah quite so...

I remember when Debris cracked into the first cave system, for their diamonds, and forced the animal men locals to continue on with the mining.

I see, its a bit like Jane Goodall and the chimpanzee diamond mine then? Jolly good!

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: November 27, 2010, 07:39:34 pm »

More questions for the almighty Toady One.

When mounts are implemented, will we be able to purchase mounts for our companion's? or will they have to slog it out on foot while the hero rides upon his valiant steed.

Thank you for putting up with all of my question's.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2305 on: November 27, 2010, 08:17:42 pm »

I think stealing from bandits is more likely.

One stop bandit shop! The currency of trade is pain and death though.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: November 28, 2010, 12:59:44 pm »

what's the plan from mountainhome requests? will there be only prices hints as they're now about mountainhome needs, or will the caravan arc means that the mountainhome will now also make 'mandates' for us to comply?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: November 28, 2010, 02:02:05 pm »

I think stealing from bandits is more likely.

One stop bandit shop! The currency of trade is pain and death though.

It's like an auction! The person who's willing to give the most pain and death gets the loot.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: November 30, 2010, 10:28:48 am »

@recent devpage update:
Looks like DF world will finally be alive after generation. Yeah!!!! ^^
Now Im very curious about next release.

1. Will town structure change? Including bigger/higher buildings and concentrated shop-area (Marketplace?)
2. Will peoples have beds again? Or/and maybe food containers?   

Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: November 30, 2010, 02:48:00 pm »

Just imagine some medieval European cities in DF, with 1-tile paths between the tiny buildings in the pauper slums, with a wooden fortification ring, with a market place full of themed merchant stands, with thieves, drunks, beggars, inns with quests, guards, with a huge stone mansion for the local noble resident and a local graveyard on a hill.
*sigh*
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 342