Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562034 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2010, 02:44:25 pm »

For training, especially with people throwing rocks for 5000 turns and so on, that kind of thing might as well be part of the pass-a-season mechanic, so that if you want to meditate on your left hook under a waterfall for 20 days, you can go ahead and do that.  The tradeoffs would be your character's age, possible reputation fade, leaving whatever sites you've raised going fallow if you aren't working out from them, etc., so it shouldn't be an utterly unreasonable/spoily mechanic.
I reckon it would be best to make the gain from this significantly affected by your current skill. It would be kind of wonky if somebody could just play with a sword, starting from no knowledge, and get up to a professional level just like that. But we'd want the amount of gain to still be at least somewhat noticeable even at higher levels. And this reduces the possibility of someone, for example, starting out as an elf and just meditating for a thousand years.

You basically want to model three situations:

Complete newbie pickig weapon and getting familiar with it, trying swings, steps and whatnot. This should work up to certain level. Aka, individual combat drilles we know from dwarf mode.
Moderatelly experienced character reflecting on his combat experience against real oponents, pondering what-ifs of different strokes and such. Aka sparring. Very slow exeprience gain unless you fought (or sparred) recently which should give you boost.
Legend which has enough experience to perfect his style by meditating about mysteries of whatever.

For combat skills at least, having sparring partner should be required (and realistic). You do have party members which tag along with you; why not procure few wooden swords and go spend few weeks training near your cabin while other group members hunt/farm/steal for food. (and letting them train there while you supply em.).

I'd imagine running swordmaster academy, spending time taking peasants and turning them to swordmasters for gold or few years of service. Writing book on subject and such included. (Or enroling in one as a adventurer and then spending few years being employed by its shady properitor and being hired off as skilled bodyguard or as assassin).

Which brings me to ...

One of popular mods are custom workshops designed to train skills. How far in pipeline are things that would make it obsolete: like books, master/apprentice relationships, training straw dummies for soldiers, toys providing experience for children and geting experience by observing others to do something or by talking to then about subject.

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 06, 2010, 05:25:11 pm »

Is there any possibility that bruising damage can be made to cause a small amount of blood loss?  Essentially, bruising is internal bleeding and a great deal of bruising means you are losing a great deal of blood from your circulatory system.  Currently, dwarves can punch eachother forever with little effect because these bruising wounds have little relevance in the game other than in causing pain.  If some internal bleeding was taken into account whenever bruising occurs, fights between unarmed living creatures would be much more fun and realistic.

VoidPointer

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Computerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 06, 2010, 05:43:23 pm »

Is there any possibility that bruising damage can be made to cause a small amount of blood loss?

Extending on this, broken bones and the like should cause significant amounts of bleeding for similar reasons. As far as I can tell, they currently do not.
01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110010 01100100 00101110
01001001 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00101110

Purple Mage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 06, 2010, 07:08:52 pm »

With the ability to create and buy sites now in the works, will an adventurer be able to become a landlord and rent out land to the local peasants.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 06, 2010, 08:00:32 pm »

With the ability to create and buy sites now in the works, will an adventurer be able to become a landlord and rent out land to the local peasants.

And with the new suspicion system and building system, would it possible to discreetly murder your tenants, hide their bodies in a hidden room and then blame an adventurer wandering into town?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 06, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »

And with the new suspicion system and building system, would it possible to discreetly murder your tenants, hide their bodies in a hidden room and then blame an adventurer wandering into town?

This is a thing that I must know.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

VWSpeedRacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 06, 2010, 08:47:41 pm »

He he, yeah, that's the idea, anyway.  For each downward ramp the boulder should probably get several extra tiles in straight rolling distance (via its overall velocity which is diminishing as it rolls on level ground).  If you gave the boulder a giant 5 level ramp, I guess it should be able to shoot out of the side of your fortress and you could make a kind of catapult that way.  Hopefully whatever velocity mechanic that goes in will allow better transitions between those kinds of movement, and it would also be able to support having you kick somebody's sword along the ground and off a cliff and have it all work out.

There isn't a fixed tile scale, but wouldn't it be fair to call a boulder as 1/3 a tile width, and give accelleration as something like (3 horizontal tiles per ramp tile) ^ 2 ?

Edit: Meant to green it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 08:49:13 pm by VWSpeedRacer »
"Yo dorf, I herd you like menacing so I put spikes on yo spikes so you can menace while you menace!"
I think something went wrong with the mac download. All I know is, there's an exe in it, and that just ain't right.
Armok's Sweaty Balls Toady

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 06, 2010, 08:52:09 pm »

The principle problem is basically that luxuries aren't nearly as satisfying in the game as they are in real life.  People still tend to enjoy things (as players, not characters) like collecting stuff or gambling in a computer game, since it doesn't deviate too far from the real world equivalents, but a lot of luxuries would be meaningless (consider eating "fine foods", say, though if you are really into the roleplaying it works I suppose)
One thing that Gearhead (another roguelike whose themes tended to hit into this) used was tracking the player character's "mood" in terms of a vague mixture of happiness and exhaustion, and displaying it with a series of green + marks or red - marks on the screen.  When your mood is high, you get a benefit to your social / mental / manual dexterity stats and a bonus to any actions that require concentration; when it's low, you get penalties to those things.

Things like tracking through a sewer, failing at tasks, eating charred monster corpses and so on would lower your mood, while success, good food, soaking in hot springs and so forth would raise it.  It felt fairly realistic -- we've all had days where a bad mood makes it hard to do something, which makes you angrier which in turn makes you do even worse until you break whatever you're trying to fix or whatever.

The ability to accumulate bonuses by having a very high mood (at least until your mood slips back towards normal) also rewarded players for luxuries and such.  For instance, I'd always buy chocolate bars and carry them with me on long sewer missions.

Will adventure mode in DF ever track the player character's mood?  It's such a big part of Dwarf Mode that it seems like it'd be a logical thing to extend to adventure mode although, of course, I wouldn't expect players to go insane without something Lovecraft-style causing them to.  But there's various other things that could be done with it, like the bonuses / penalties I mentioned above.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 08:56:34 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 06, 2010, 08:52:37 pm »

are there plans to make entities fight over more stuff other then ethics and religion in the near future. like attacking somewhere for resources or just to capture more territory so as to provide for larger populations.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 06, 2010, 09:04:31 pm »

There must be lebensraum!

On that note, racism could provide an interesting mechanic, given slave populations. Having second-class goblins working for dwarves sounds quite reasonable; of course, if the goblins later become king (..military coup, perhaps), that situation would reverse itself.

Playing a fort as the despised minority could be.. curious.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:44 am »

The principle problem is basically that luxuries aren't nearly as satisfying in the game as they are in real life.  People still tend to enjoy things (as players, not characters) like collecting stuff or gambling in a computer game, since it doesn't deviate too far from the real world equivalents, but a lot of luxuries would be meaningless (consider eating "fine foods", say, though if you are really into the roleplaying it works I suppose)
One thing that Gearhead (another roguelike whose themes tended to hit into this) used was tracking the player character's "mood" in terms of a vague mixture of happiness and exhaustion, and displaying it with a series of green + marks or red - marks on the screen.  When your mood is high, you get a benefit to your social / mental / manual dexterity stats and a bonus to any actions that require concentration; when it's low, you get penalties to those things.

Things like tracking through a sewer, failing at tasks, eating charred monster corpses and so on would lower your mood, while success, good food, soaking in hot springs and so forth would raise it.  It felt fairly realistic -- we've all had days where a bad mood makes it hard to do something, which makes you angrier which in turn makes you do even worse until you break whatever you're trying to fix or whatever.

The ability to accumulate bonuses by having a very high mood (at least until your mood slips back towards normal) also rewarded players for luxuries and such.  For instance, I'd always buy chocolate bars and carry them with me on long sewer missions.

Will adventure mode in DF ever track the player character's mood?  It's such a big part of Dwarf Mode that it seems like it'd be a logical thing to extend to adventure mode although, of course, I wouldn't expect players to go insane without something Lovecraft-style causing them to.  But there's various other things that could be done with it, like the bonuses / penalties I mentioned above.
Toady has said in the past that he doesn't want to dictate to players how they feel, in any way that could contradict their own roleplaying idea of their character's state of mind. This was in relation to named weapons, but I'd imagine the sentiment applies here too.
There must be lebensraum!

On that note, racism could provide an interesting mechanic, given slave populations. Having second-class goblins working for dwarves sounds quite reasonable; of course, if the goblins later become king (..military coup, perhaps), that situation would reverse itself.

Playing a fort as the despised minority could be.. curious.
Racism as we know it is not really period-appropriate. The oft-cited 1400 level it might arguably be, though that was more of a religious thing than a racial one, and only happened to coincidentally align with race. (and even then was Europe only). However DF tends to use the social paradigms of pre-roman times. That would mean that while attitudes might now be considered racist, they were more rooted in community and national identities than in race - ie "The next civ over murder casually and steal babies." or "the folks in that forest eat humans". Myths about the outsider, in other words. Except in DF those myths are true.

As far as slavery is related, it thus probably ought to manifest itself as it did historically: not very much. People captured in battle or purchased would be slaves, but race had little bearing on anything. People might watch their kids carefully around goblins, and they wouldn't appreciate seeing an elf in the graveyard, but other than that, I see no real need to add pointless racism.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 07, 2010, 01:14:52 am »

just going from Wikipedia racism without religious context  took place in most modestly secular societies and more religious groups would mix the religion in with the racism some of the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism#Middle_Ages_and_Renaissance

also i personally would order large expensive meals if i could in adventure mode without bonuses though i wouldn't see myself grinding for money to get them even if they gave bonuses

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 07, 2010, 01:27:35 am »

If anyone can remember this far back:
You could do a lot with some simple serial identifiers. A wound on one part would transfer to the part on the new form with the same identifier. If no identifier match is found, either discard the wounds (no equivalent location) or transfer some degree of injury [1] to the next part up the chain till you find a match.

One problem here: What if it's ambiguous? For instance, a creature with two wings transforming into a creature with four arms. I suppose you could spread the wound over each equivalent arm, or... something.

The idea here is that by giving each part a serial identifier tag rather than just relying on base part types, you can rig things up to behave in a sensible fashion. So in your example, you probably have something like:
Creature A, basic bird shape:
"limb1r" = wing
"limb1l" = wing
"limbnr" = leg
"limbnl" = leg
Creature B, 4 armed biped:
"limb1r" = arm
"limb1l" = arm
"limb2r" = arm
"limb2l" = arm
"limbnr" = leg
"limbnl" = leg
So damage to one set of arms would translate to/from wing damage, while damage to the other arms would probably spread to the upper body

The trick, of course, would be working out a set of tags that would give best behaviour under most circumstances.

Furthermore, having the game use a standard set of these tags, and remembering wounds in relation to these tags regardless if the current "form" had appropriate limbs or not might work.

Example: Let's say we've got Fred, a shape-shifting creature of awesomesauce. He starts off with the 4-armed biped as above, and gets a massive gash on his left lower arm - "limb2l". He shifts to a human form, which doesn't have any limbs with the "limb2l" (you can confirm this yourself - do you have four arms? If so, see a doctor!), and hence has no wound. Perhaps he has phantom pain, but that's a decision for another time. Anyway, he then decides to go to an armed-winged-biped, where the wings have the "limb2l" and "limb2r" tags appropriately. To his dismay, his left wing is suddenly bleedin'.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 07, 2010, 04:57:37 am »

also i personally would order large expensive meals if i could in adventure mode without bonuses though i wouldn't see myself grinding for money to get them even if they gave bonuses

The only bonuses I could see from that would be some sort of marker where people would associate you with luxuries.

Though to me a great reason to order fine food whenever possible, assuming it won't cripple your budget, would be for your party or other associates.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 07, 2010, 09:41:49 am »

The only bonuses I could see from that would be some sort of marker where people would associate you with luxuries.

Though to me a great reason to order fine food whenever possible, assuming it won't cripple your budget, would be for your party or other associates.
With the mention of merchant abilities in adventure mode, I could see it more as, buy the great meal from the poor chef down the road, then sell it to the king for a huge profit.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 342