Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561817 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2475 on: December 09, 2010, 03:37:03 pm »

Okay, seeeecret question under the spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We already have varieties of

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: December 09, 2010, 03:41:56 pm »

seeing the focus on vehicles/boats (see last toady update) I have decided to finally post my megathread about it.

toady please look at: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72675.new#new
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: December 09, 2010, 03:43:03 pm »

I don't know if it was asked, but:
Will we be able to send dwarves for a job of exploring and mapping the caverns? As in, telling the dwarves to map certain "blacked out" regions of the embark map, such as the ones in caverns?
A cat will do this for you. It's their innate behaviour to explore all nooks and crannies of wherever they are. Don't ask how the cat communicates back the map information to you.

Dwarf cats evolved from the elusive cave dolphin, and therefore have sonar, and a strange psionic power which allows them to send messages from deep in the caverns, possess dwarves completely, and secretly report back to their briny masters.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: December 09, 2010, 04:19:19 pm »

I don't know if it was asked, but:
Will we be able to send dwarves for a job of exploring and mapping the caverns? As in, telling the dwarves to map certain "blacked out" regions of the embark map, such as the ones in caverns?
A cat will do this for you. It's their innate behaviour to explore all nooks and crannies of wherever they are. Don't ask how the cat communicates back the map information to you.

Dwarf cats evolved from the elusive cave dolphin, and therefore have sonar, and a strange psionic power which allows them to send messages from deep in the caverns, possess dwarves completely, and secretly report back to their briny masters.
I think my puppies are more evolved than my cats. I have 29865(estimated number) puppies, and punny 5 kittens.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 04:33:04 pm by Demki »

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: December 09, 2010, 05:50:07 pm »

Hmm. If our fortresses are the only way to produce adamantine, won't it be even more valuable than it is now? I never sell it because it's just not worth it, but in a supply-and-demand economy, I foresee merchants squabbling over the dwarves' precious metals :D

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: December 09, 2010, 08:12:57 pm »

Quote from: Desdichado
when will item decay and item damage make it in? Will decay hit even mundane objects like chalices and doors? And will decay exist in worldgen, too, in some abstract form?

Decay already occurs for things like doors, although it is hard to see in practice most of the time.  I'm not sure when we'll get item damage.  When there's a big combat push, I imagine it'll be up there now.  I don't have it yet, but I'm pretty sure we'll see some objects in stockpiles passing to debris/disappear just to make things make sense.  We might not get to larger scale ruins until we get to that part officially, dev-wise.

In that vein, will cotton candy items suffer from decay and battle damage? Because given how limited supply is, I would hate to have to replace 10 ada shields after every battle, or something along those lines. Steel/iron shields I wouldn't mind replacing, but the blue metal is significantly more difficult to stock up on.

Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: December 09, 2010, 09:16:45 pm »

i imagine it'd go like this, if you fight copper equipped enemies you probably wont have to worry about repairing your iron shields,
Spoiler: spoilyspoilystuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:00:20 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: December 09, 2010, 09:17:52 pm »

when will item decay and item damage make it in? Will decay hit even mundane objects like chalices and doors? And will decay exist in worldgen, too, in some abstract form?

Decay already occurs for things like doors, although it is hard to see in practice most of the time.  I'm not sure when we'll get item damage.  When there's a big combat push, I imagine it'll be up there now.  I don't have it yet, but I'm pretty sure we'll see some objects in stockpiles passing to debris/disappear just to make things make sense.  We might not get to larger scale ruins until we get to that part officially, dev-wise.
If you care at all about keeping such things a surprise, why do you use those "spoiler" words instead of actual spoiler tags? Changing the names doesn't help if you're just going to talk about the details anyway! The only people who would know to stop reading after those silly names are those that already know what they mean.

Okay, seeeecret question under the spoiler:
(I think it's sufficiently removed.) I recall quite a bit of fiction or history, from Morrowind, China, and The King of Dragon Pass that include kinds of ancestor worship in place of god worship, thinking of them as guardians or sources of divination. Are you planning on going in that direction when you take care of religions?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: December 10, 2010, 04:05:06 pm »

In that vein, will cotton candy items suffer from decay and battle damage? Because given how limited supply is, I would hate to have to replace 10 ada shields after every battle, or something along those lines. Steel/iron shields I wouldn't mind replacing, but the blue metal is significantly more difficult to stock up on.

I would hazard a guess that item decay and battle damage scales with the strength of the material.
Admantium items may be completely indestructable (suffers no decay nor battle damage).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: December 10, 2010, 04:10:00 pm »

spoiler that.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: December 10, 2010, 04:50:44 pm »

Good work on the trade depth Toady, I've been waiting for it since the 3d version.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: December 10, 2010, 09:49:31 pm »

Toady how far away are we from having the Trade Depot include the citizens of the fortress for their own goods, or for Carrivan run shops? (It just seems like an interesting idea to have a bunch of shots around the trade depot)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2487 on: December 10, 2010, 11:45:03 pm »

With the new caravan focus on trading, will we get any improvements to the fortress mode trade screen? I'm thinking about commands like mass-select; trade all but bins; list things by type (armor/food/raw materials); don't display mandate violating items; etc.

SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: December 11, 2010, 12:02:24 am »

With the new caravan focus on trading, will we get any improvements to the fortress mode trade screen? I'm thinking about commands like mass-select; trade all but bins; list things by type (armor/food/raw materials); don't display mandate violating items; etc.

In this vein, Will we get the ability to cull/select by material? For instance, culling all wood items would be great in case I miss one when trading to elves.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: December 11, 2010, 04:18:09 am »

and then I find it has been suggested multiple times already...logical actually.
Such as here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3683.msg54948#msg54948
Sorry, I would have deleted this post...but could not.

So... nice work on that decay rate T, now that goods have become consumable, trade makes more sense.
Now we need individuals buying or just grabbing those goods, even if they are not yet using that flute to make music, owning it will give a nice happy thought in the meantime. :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 04:34:48 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 342