Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1562743 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2760 on: December 23, 2010, 10:38:01 pm »

Holy carp, EIGHTEEN new types of grass!?!

Oh man the need for outdoor pastures is going to make me need to build topside again.
I would be genuinely surprised if Toady hadn't added at least one subterranean mold, algae or fungal ground cover that could be grazed.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: December 23, 2010, 10:48:58 pm »

There on the far horizon,
could it be after this long time,
a Garden in the dersert?

edit: this means a way for "gardenening" and moving soil would be neat.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:50:51 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: December 23, 2010, 10:53:25 pm »

Is cattle herding in for adventure mode? Will we be able to rustle cattle in the next version? Will there be organized raids on herd animals in the future? Specifically in regards to quest giving- will the important historical figures recognize the importance of stealing the enemies herds and assign quests or bounties on enemy cattle.

None of that has yet been implemented for the next version (as is generally true for features not mentioned in the dev log).  Herding and other livestock stuff is planned, though:

Basic Adventure Mode Skills
    * Raising livestock
          o Farms associated to entity population sprawl
          o Ability to buy a livestock animal and lead it around
          o Keep track of your animals as with hunted animals so they are not easily and permanently lost
          o Ability to build fences (more than one fence tile per tree used, as opposed to wall)
          o Ability to perform decisive attacks on unsuspecting or heavily injured opponent (a cow being slaughtered, for instance)
          o Tracking livestock breeding/pregnancy information
          o Grazing and drinking for livestock
          o Eggs, chickens and associated objects

Cheerfully withdrawn!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:39 am »

On the horizon,
A Garden in the desert
After this long time?

Haiku'd that for you
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: December 24, 2010, 09:50:32 am »

I get the feeling that 18 types of grass stemmed from a case of "I need to add grass for grazing. Oh well, while I'm at it, barely takes any longer to add multiple species of grass, so I might as well."

But it does lead to the question... are there any actual gameplay differences between the different kinds of grass?  Is it just different names depending on biome, or do they have other effects?  Is there a point to the different types beyond the names?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: December 24, 2010, 10:59:20 am »

It would depend on what counts as a grass, game-wise, and what can be done quickly (they'll certainly be expanded in more than just number). Tall grasses and crops obscuring line of sight and perhaps even slowing someone down is the obvious one, and different nutrition values if those make it in. If the grasses can be harvested somehow (for hay; grain crops probably won't act as grasses?) they may also get diverse uses in reactions, and who knows what that worm grass may do to non-evil grazers...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: December 24, 2010, 11:18:25 am »

Hey Bamboo is a grass too. Grass that can grow, depending on species, a meter a day up to 38 meters high and 80cm in diameter. Hehe i hope there is bamboo in this release.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: December 24, 2010, 12:09:41 pm »

I think in DF it makes more sense to devide 'species' along morphological lines rather than realworld DNA/species.
e.g. Towercaps are fungoid, yet they belong in the tree-morphological slot which provides wood.

....speculating...
For determining what species can feed on, we need a tag which is a list of what it can feed on, possibly multiple tags on all possible foodsources. (carni-omni-herbivore-fungivore etc, but also tree/shrub/grass, ecological: aquatic/land/magma/underground, or a list of specific species, for picky eaters such as panda.)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: December 24, 2010, 12:11:58 pm »

Hey Bamboo is a grass too. Grass that can grow, depending on species, a meter a day up to 38 meters high and 80cm in diameter. Hehe i hope there is bamboo in this release.

Well, the panda is on the list of animals you can vote for, it would be kind of dissapointing if their presence in the game would be limited to a message in legends mode saying that they died out, because of a lack of food..

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: December 24, 2010, 07:14:06 pm »

Well, the panda is on the list of animals you can vote for, it would be kind of dissapointing if their presence in the game would be limited to a message in legends mode saying that they died out, because of a lack of food..

Yeah, I forsee a lot of animals with obscure foodsources dying, untill their food is implemented. Personally, I'm going to ensure all my livestock get a diet of disgusting tentacle grass.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: December 24, 2010, 08:30:17 pm »

I'm quite certain that any animal implemented that only eats an obscure resource will come along with access to that resource. Toady wouldn't implement pandas and make them only eat bamboo unless they were able to do so.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: December 24, 2010, 08:49:46 pm »

I'm quite certain that any animal implemented that only eats an obscure resource will come along with access to that resource. Toady wouldn't implement pandas and make them only eat bamboo unless they were able to do so.

Keep in mind that the devlog only mentioned "bovine animals".  It may not even include all ruminants, much less other herbivores.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: December 24, 2010, 09:15:31 pm »

Keep in mind that the devlog only mentioned "bovine animals".  It may not even include all ruminants, much less other herbivores.

Yeaaaaaah, but it'd be pretty odd for cows to be able to starve to death, but not pigs. Although, I guess it would get around the problems Toady mentioned with deer coming into your stockpile and eating your Plump Helmet Roasts and whatnot. I guess Wild Animals will probably still not eat, (other than the thieves).

Are the various types of Grass in the raws, or are they still hardcoded?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: December 25, 2010, 12:45:29 am »

Will longland-grass yield hay/straw as side product? This would be pretty nice for feeding the cattle etc. for us and the herding civs.

Proud to be a Furry.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: December 25, 2010, 01:14:05 pm »

Although, as a bit of wild Christmas Speculation, I could see on-site animal grazing operating like the existing GrassTrample, except that animals do it at regular intervals instead of all the time. Thus, their behavior doesn't really change insomuch as they still wander around a bit and stand around a bit and interrupt all your dwarves, just now you can watch them and see some grass disappear every once in a while when they graze.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 342