Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551724 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2775 on: December 25, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »

I'm quite certain that any animal implemented that only eats an obscure resource will come along with access to that resource. Toady wouldn't implement pandas and make them only eat bamboo unless they were able to do so.

Keep in mind that the devlog only mentioned "bovine animals".  It may not even include all ruminants, much less other herbivores.
I perceived that word choice as ThreeToe choosing to speak "colorfully" rather than a word chosen to most accurately reflect the actual circumstance.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: December 25, 2010, 03:07:13 pm »

Although, as a bit of wild Christmas Speculation, I could see on-site animal grazing operating like the existing GrassTrample, except that animals do it at regular intervals instead of all the time. Thus, their behavior doesn't really change insomuch as they still wander around a bit and stand around a bit and interrupt all your dwarves, just now you can watch them and see some grass disappear every once in a while when they graze.

In theory the trample mechanic alone can work for that. they graze in a spot/area enough it eventually gets trampled.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: December 25, 2010, 04:09:15 pm »

Keep in mind that the devlog only mentioned "bovine animals".  It may not even include all ruminants, much less other herbivores.
I perceived that word choice as ThreeToe choosing to speak "colorfully" rather than a word chosen to most accurately reflect the actual circumstance.

That's probably true, but it's extremely unlikely that all types of herbivory have received as much attention as ruminant grazing.  For example, we probably won't see aquatic creatures eating algae/seaweed yet.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2778 on: December 25, 2010, 04:12:22 pm »

hmm ... dogs. bones. could this mean end of bonecarving industry as we know it?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: December 25, 2010, 08:25:40 pm »

I'm quite certain that any animal implemented that only eats an obscure resource will come along with access to that resource. Toady wouldn't implement pandas and make them only eat bamboo unless they were able to do so.

I know, I was just saying that I highly doubt Toady would implement any animal with a food requirement unless it was able to get at that food.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: December 26, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

Part of menus are not using full screen space - for example main menu, trading menu etc. Is it by bug/by design/sth that is planned to do but less important than other stuff?

Answered on devlog:
Is it planned to focus more on bugfixing? For example - there is hospital - it may be possible to add prosthesis for dwarves without limbs. But resolving bugs 191, 194 or 287 would have better effect for gameplay. Or maybe making something connected with hospital what will cause game to run on 1 more FPS.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:24:55 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: December 26, 2010, 07:47:17 am »

Is it planned to focus more on bugfixing?
Every release sees a few bugfixes, and the release after the next one is indicated to be a major bugfix release, or at least the beginning of such:

Quote from: ThreeToe on the dev log
11/17/2010 Alright. We got some bugs out the way and will make a big bug crunching push after this next release.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: December 26, 2010, 08:24:27 am »

Is it planned to focus more on bugfixing?
Every release sees a few bugfixes, and the release after the next one is indicated to be a major bugfix release, or at least the beginning of such:

Quote from: ThreeToe on the dev log
11/17/2010 Alright. We got some bugs out the way and will make a big bug crunching push after this next release.

Great! I missed devblog, I searched only over his posts in forum.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: December 26, 2010, 08:38:09 am »

Every release has on average, 18.4 bugs fixed.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: December 26, 2010, 09:18:13 am »

Every release has on average, 18.4 bugs fixed.
How do you fix .4 of the bug?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: December 26, 2010, 10:53:21 am »

that's an average. every 10 releases, 184 bugs fixed.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

modger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: December 26, 2010, 12:36:46 pm »

why is the building in adventure mode more complex in the older versions of dwarf fortress than the newer ones.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:38:49 pm by modger »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: December 26, 2010, 01:47:30 pm »

The older versions, I believe, had "canned" settlements.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: December 26, 2010, 02:44:25 pm »

The older versions, I believe, had "canned" settlements.

Yeah, in the new versions procedural generation is just used to "magic up" some simple rectangle houses and fancier castles. There's nothing quite like the old versions, but having them entirely random is pretty nice.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: December 26, 2010, 03:51:18 pm »

All the towns were completely scrapped for a big, slow overhaul. As development continues, the level of complexity in towns will eventually reach and surpass the complexity of towns in older versions.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 342