Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561964 times)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3405 on: February 03, 2011, 02:45:26 pm »

If only grazing animals will be needing food, is their any incentive for not just using large jaguar farms for food since they require nothing to keep alive?
I bet it'll just be unbalanced until we get some more interesting carnivore type tags . . . things like [TASTES_GROSS] or [AGGRESSIVE_WHEN_PENNED] . . . although I be they start  needing food before these are added.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3406 on: February 03, 2011, 03:26:53 pm »

Predators also are a bit more likely to have parasites, and thus syndromes attached to eating them.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: February 03, 2011, 04:06:20 pm »

Can't milk a jaguar.  without modding

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: February 03, 2011, 04:07:12 pm »

Nor do you get those ever so valuable hooves!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: February 03, 2011, 04:45:31 pm »

Oh wow, we'll actually have Kobold Eggs. I must have rolled a critical hit on my psuedobiology roll.

My fortress will have the largest collection of fabrige kobold eggs.

Kesc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: February 03, 2011, 05:09:19 pm »

Tricky one: Dwarves don't need to go to the bathroom... They don't need godamn toilet!

Is there going to be a fix for that? I mean... With poo you can make fertilizer, use it on spikes then you'll lead infections to your enemies, make dwarves unhappy(Very FUN), make them sick... Consider a fight between a monkey and a dwarf. *Monkey show the dwarf what he is made of* *Dwarf vomit* Aha.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: February 03, 2011, 05:24:01 pm »

I think I might just gen an adventurer right after the next release and devote my time to stealing eggs. ALL OF THEM.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: February 03, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »

Tricky one: Dwarves don't need to go to the bathroom... They don't need godamn toilet!

Is there going to be a fix for that? I mean... With poo you can make fertilizer, use it on spikes then you'll lead infections to your enemies, make dwarves unhappy(Very FUN), make them sick... Consider a fight between a monkey and a dwarf. *Monkey show the dwarf what he is made of* *Dwarf vomit* Aha.

There are several long, and heated debates over it, and probably best served in one of those threads then here. There also a Feces and Urine thing you can vote for on the ESV.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: February 03, 2011, 09:26:25 pm »

There also a Feces and Urine thing you can vote for on the ESV.

There's probably also a Feces and Urine thing lurking in your third cavern. If you follow.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: February 03, 2011, 10:10:14 pm »

There are several long, and heated debates over it, and probably best served in one of those threads then here. There also a Feces and Urine thing you can vote for on the ESV.

I collected some quotes a while back:

There are no plans to add "night soil".  Dwarves poop little pebbles which seemlessly disappear into the cavern floor, or they collect them and cherish them or something.

Do dwarves have water closets? Will we need to carefully craft "flushing" mechanisms to carry the unmentionables away?

There is currently no potty.

4.  Manure, as a fertilizer.

4. They just drop it everywhere?  Everyone will might be doing it after a while... night soil, and so on.  But it's a dangerous door to open, especially if the room on the other side is full.  If a god turns you into a horse in adventure mode, would you suddenly start dropping the bomb?

From DF Talk:

Toady:   [...] I like the idea of being able to track things and find them, and pick up little kobold scats and dig around to see what they've been eating ... after a fashion, anyway.
Rainseeker:   So there's no poo creatures either?
Toady:   It was a close thing! Because it was literally a decision I had to make, going down this list, because in the Hidden Fun Stuff of course if you get the tentacle demons then you get a layer scattered with various filth on the ground; and there's brown filth and yellow filth and so on and it's not clearly stated but it's a material that I had to put in properties for right? So there's these hard-coded filth materials, and when I was going down the list, you know 'Do I want creatures made out of mud? Do I want creatures made out of vomit? Do I want creatures made out of glass?', there's all these hard-coded materials, and I was just like 'Yeah, yeah, yeah ... No ... No ...' on the filth. But there are creatures made out of the grime, and the grime material is the material that collects on your body slowly over time, and it's also the material that's used in swamp water, so there's this ... I just needed this material called 'grime' for these miscellaneous purposes, it's just crap, just stuff that collects over time and when a creature is made out of that it just says 'composed of grime and filth'. So if you want to call that 'poo' even though it's not it's possible for you to extend your imagination.
Toady:   [...] But the kind of thing that's on the table is gunpowder, and the materials that you need for that are already in the game, I think. We've got brimstone, which is sulphur, and I don't remember if we have saltpetre, if it's there or not, but ... I guess you could do all kinds of things with manure and urine to make it, or you can find it in a crystalline form in the ground perhaps.

And finally, sewers full of filth were a powergoal in the old dev item system:

# PowerGoal153, THE CRACKS OF DOOM, (Future): You flee into the sewer with the baron's ring, but sliding in the muck, you drop it. Try as you might, you cannot locate the precious object in the town's filth.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: February 03, 2011, 10:12:26 pm »

I think I might just gen an adventurer right after the next release and devote my time to stealing eggs. ALL OF THEM.

Will he be entirely oophageous?

(OK, so I just like saying that word, and couldn't pass up the chance to use it.)

There's also the Improved Farming thread, which has plenty on the use of manure and turning urea into ammonia for use in the fields.

... With that said, it hasn't exactly attracted the sort of talk that involves waste throwing competitions, no doubt thanks to the simple text-heaviness of the thread.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: February 04, 2011, 07:24:53 am »

My perception has been that Toady's no-poop stance has softened somewhat over the years.  I truly believe that it will be part of the game sooner than later.

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: February 04, 2011, 09:42:22 am »

Quote from: drvoke
Will ceramic jugs (or some other ceramic product) be used to store any food or booze?

Yeah, there should be something.  I just haven't found a name yet.  Amphora made sense, and "large vase" seems too decorative, but I'm not really happy with anything yet, since those seem too specific.  I'm not sure what the other historical examples are and if something else sounds nice and general.  It could just be the jugs, but the jugs might be smaller.  This was one of the last sort of unresolved quibbles for this release.

Who about just going with 'Pot'?

Many times, archeologists and historians will use the word 'Vessel' .   e.g.  earthenware vessel,  ceramic vessel.    I think that word works well to describe something that may be a multi-purpose container.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:44:45 am by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: February 04, 2011, 10:18:22 am »

if it's going to work as a barrel, it should probably specify it's a large vessel and not a bowl or a jug

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: February 04, 2011, 11:24:20 am »

Large Adobe Vessel
Large Stoneware Vessel
Large China Vessel
+<*Large Stoneware Vessel*>+

I could see that.

You know, I've always wondered about having the angle brackets there. I think it's pretty clear that only the centermost quality symbol applies to the object itself. So it could be -+Sword+- instead of -<+Sword+>-.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 342